Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

I suspect either the motor or start capacitor is bad in my basement AC unit. The compressor runs but the blower does not come on. Has anyone replaced the motor or start capacitor on this type of unit? Or does anyoen have experince with it?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
W4TDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hello All,

I suspect either the motor or start capacitor is bad in my basement AC unit. The compressor runs but the blower does not come on. Has anyone replaced the motor or start capacitor on this type of unit? Or does anyoen have experince with it?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Have a 02 horizon, w/ basement AC and Heat pump. Last week I had to replace the blower motor relay. It got fried. Its located on the left side, on the bottom of the circuit bd. cabinet. Cost of it was $23.00, plus labor to run a check, and replace. It come with the 2 small wires to plug into the circuit bd. Hope this helps.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ben: Will the unit run in the heatpump mode? I had a similar problem with the AC & problem was with the temp control board on the OnePlace.

Prior to that problem, a Tech found burned spade connectors on the AC unit itself.

Prior to that, another Tech found a bad neutral wire (improperly crimped at the Wichita factory) on the AC unit. Caused the fan to run at about 100 RPM.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I had a relay go bad on my 2000 Horizon last summer and the fan would not shut off after the compressor did. New relay fixed that. Now I have a buzzing coming from where the relays are that buzzes after the unit shuts down. I had it in the shop two weeks ago, they replaced a circuit board, called it fixed but now it is doing the same thing. The unit works fine but that buzz just ain't right. Back to the shop tomorrow. Good luck, Jim Bob
Old 01-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all suggestions of things to check.

I'll try to check the unit to see if it will run in heat pump mode this weekend. I did smell the armoma of fried electronics when the unit failed on our last trip. That is the reason I thought the start cap might have blown. I just haven't had a chance to dig into since then.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Just thought I'd give an update to this post I made months ago. Since we had the coach covered during the winter, I just didn't take time to dig into the problem.

But this past Monday I took a moment do some exploratory surgery. So I raised the side panel that gives access to the basement air unit. Took the cover off of the small access panel on the left of the unit. Besides the small printed circuit board and the AC power entry points, guess what I found? A whole bundle of motor run and start capacitors. Using the small diagram on the back of the access panel cover I determined which capacitor was for the inside blower motor. It is a 7.5uF 370 volt plastic can type capacitor. I removed and tested the cap with an ohm meter. Normally you get a kick on the meter when checking a cap like that. This one had no kick at all. In addition the can was no longer round but was a little misshapen. So I bought a replacement for $4.68 and installed it. Lo and behold, that fixed it!!! :^)

As you can tell I am very happy that I didn't have to pull the unit out to get to the blower fan motor. It was real answered pray.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

W4TDX.....where did you get the replacement capacitor? thanks....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

It is a common item that can be picked up at any supply house that sells electric motors and such. Just be sure you get the right capacitance and voltage values. Although the old one I replaced was round and the new one was oval, it really didn't matter. There are 3 capacitors strapped down together.

Ben
Old 04-07-2006, 06:35 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Morning all. Did a search on back topic here found nothing. Turned on heat pump last night. Unit tried to start and quit. Tried again this morning same thing. No tripped circuit breakers.
Tried doing a search on Coleman web site. What a joke there site is. Could not even find Trueair in it.How does the side panel ccome loose to open?
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Tom,does the gas furnace work?

If you haven't tried it,when you tried to use the heat pump,did you by chance have the propane turned off?

With what little information I have of your situation,I can only offer THIS THREAD having to do with the "5 degree differential" of your heat pump.

The heat pump is "good" for a 5 degree differential.....anything colder and it looks for help from the propane furnace.....If you're propame is turned off.....no furnace.
Been there and done that....

That may not be your issue,so maybe elaborate a little more if it isn't?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:02 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Yes propane furnace works. I know heat pump will not work if it gets to cold. But have never had it start and stop right away. Had a problem once where heat pump tried to start 3 times and would not work at all. Had to remove thermistate cover and pull glass fuse for 30 seconds. Than put it back in and all ran well. This was several years ago.

UPDATE AFTER POSTING THIS:
Tried Heat Pump again. It works. Guess it was colder here in CA. last night than I thought. LOL, but have turned it on when cold before and have it run and blow just cold air. Never fail to start.

Coleman still has a poor WEB site for us Heat Pump owners.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 04-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

rvten
Try going on the RVP Products web site
www.rvcomfort.com
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

OK thanks that site will work out great. Guess I should have looked into the Black Bag in the first place.
2010 Ford Flex