Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My basement AC on 2002 Winn. Adventurer runs on 2 compressors (20+ amps) on shore power, but only 1 compressor (10 amps) on the generator. Do they only run on one compressor on the generator? Thanks, Cabindog
cabindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My basement AC on 2002 Winn. Adventurer runs on 2 compressors (20+ amps) on shore power, but only 1 compressor (10 amps) on the generator. Do they only run on one compressor on the generator? Thanks, Cabindog
cabindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Cabindog - the generator should power both compressors. The generator supplies 2 hot leads to the transfer switch. The "hot #2" lead goes directly from the transfer switch to the #2 compressor. Check for a tripped breaker on the generator. If that's not the problem, then it may be a problem in the transfer switch.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Our gen set (7.5 Kw) will power everything on the coach. How large is yours? If it will put out 30 amps, you should be able to run both compressors.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cabindog:
My basement AC on 2002 Winn. Adventurer runs on 2 compressors (20+ amps) on shore power, but only 1 compressor (10 amps) on the generator. Do they only run on one compressor on the generator? Thanks, Cabindog </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Mine(5.5kw) runs both. yours should do the same.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

My gen runs both and according to the panel it is pulling 24-27 amps.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The second compressor is powered off the 20amp circuit breaker on the Gen. set. So you will
not see the draw on the 30amp panel inside. But you can monitor if the second compressor comes
on line by watching the 30amp panel meter. As in approx. 20 sec. after the first comp. is powered
up, the amp draw on that comp will drop by 2 or 3 amps. THAT IS, IF THE SECOND COMP. POWERS UP.
Well that how I do it anyway!!!!Tenn.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
The second compressor is powered off the 20amp circuit breaker on the Gen. set. So you will
not see the draw on the 30amp panel inside. But you can monitor if the second compressor comes
on line by watching the 30amp panel meter. As in approx. 20 sec. after the first comp. is powered
up, the amp draw on that comp will drop by 2 or 3 amps. THAT IS, IF THE SECOND COMP. POWERS UP.
Well that how I do it anyway!!!!Tenn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that is how the 5.5 kw gennies are wired. You will only see the two compressor load when on shore power as only the main 30 amp from the generator is wired through power management. The second 20 amp field is dedicated to one of the two compressors and does not power anything else in the coach..
Old 05-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

coleman pulls apprx 35 amps with both "ac" running.

the reason your second compressor doesnt work is either is a breaker on the gen or power center.

otherwise, one compressor or relay for compressor may be out.

it is common to have a problem with one of the two.

it is bassically two airs that are just tied into one by controls and ducting.

check breakers, then call for service.

mike b
rvservicemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvservicemike:
coleman pulls apprx 35 amps with both "ac" running.

the reason your second compressor doesnt work is either is a breaker on the gen or power center.

otherwise, one compressor or relay for compressor may be out.

it is common to have a problem with one of the two.

it is bassically two airs that are just tied into one by controls and ducting.

check breakers, then call for service.

mike b </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike - with our basement system (RVP), both compressors running draw about 21 amps. It is an all-in-one unit and completely different from roof air.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I had occasion to check out our basement air conditioning set-up today for the first time this year. Outside temp 90 degrees, inside coach temp about the same, depending on where measured. Started Generator and then A/C. First compressor came on and settled down to about 15 amp draw. After about 2 minutes the second compressor came on and eventually settled down to about 23-24 amps.
I measured temps in the coach with my handy-dandy infrared sensor. Initial output from duct in bathroom area was 91 degrees, with input air at base of bed about the same. Ten minutes later the output temp from the duct was 64 degrees and 10 minutes later it was 49 degrees. Coach cooled down to an average temp of 80 degrees in 20 minutes and to 75 in another ten or so (coach in shade at this time).I didn't have time to run it longer to see just how cool the coach would get, but I am certainly satisfied with these results.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

If I run my basement A/C off the generator I do not get any increase in amps at the one place center. 2nd compressor on my 30 Amp system does not register on "one place center". In fact some times I see a slight drop in amp reading when #2 kicks in. Apparently they wire them in different ways.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My basement AC will settle to 21 amp draw with both comp. running in good condition. I have been having problems with the AC since last summer because it would only cool down about 10 degrees then the system would shut down for a few minutes and then start up again, I suspected a bum thermostat so I called RVP/Coleman and they sent me a new one, this did not fix the problem so they suggested Based on being in So Cal that I take my coach to Lodgemobile in Burbank, the tech said by far there best diagnosis center in the country. So on Tuesday I took it in and Yesterday I was told I have a sticking heat pump valve that is causing the problem and since the coach is only a couple of years old they would contact RVP for what they want to cover and let me know today!
I also Installed a 15k Coleman roof air a few weeks ago where the roof vent is above the refer to help with the Arizona summers and the total amp draw settles around 34 with all 3 ac comp running and nothing else, I will post on my first trip in the heat to let everyone know how all 42,000 btu's of cooling works out in this dark exterior coach!

Ben!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Ben - I think Buck 'n Jeff also added a roof air in the galley vent. They said it wasn't too difficult of an install.

Last weekend in Phoenix we were 101 degrees Saturday and 104 Sunday. We closed all the shades, put our sun screen in the front and closed that curtain, and deployed awnings where we could (we were jammed in between two trucks.)

Our inside temp rose to about 82 or 83, but we were actually quite comfortable.

I used my IR temp gun and measured inside walls and tops of slides for grins. Walls were around 95 degrees, the ceiling above the microwave was about 102 . Considering this, the AC does a wonderful job.

We had a reversing valve hang up in the boat's AC unit - an expensive proposition to repair. We pulled the unit out and threw it into a dumpster while we were in the US Virgin Islands. Bought a new unit when we returned from cruising.

Let us know how the roof air works out!

Old 06-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j griff:
I had occasion to check out our basement air conditioning set-up today for the first time this year. Outside temp 90 degrees, inside coach temp about the same, depending on where measured. Started Generator and then A/C. First compressor came on and settled down to about 15 amp draw. After about 2 minutes the second compressor came on and eventually settled down to about 23-24 amps.
I measured temps in the coach with my handy-dandy infrared sensor. Initial output from duct in bathroom area was 91 degrees, with input air at base of bed about the same. Ten minutes later the output temp from the duct was 64 degrees and 10 minutes later it was 49 degrees. Coach cooled down to an average temp of 80 degrees in 20 minutes and to 75 in another ten or so (coach in shade at this time).I didn't have time to run it longer to see just how cool the coach would get, but I am certainly satisfied with these results. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Jack, are you sure it was 49 coming out of supply? do you have basement ac? Has anyone else had a temp that low coming out of supply. The best I can get is 59. Maybe thats my problem with my ac
Old 06-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
I used my IR temp gun and measured inside walls and tops of slides for grins. Walls were around 95 degrees, the ceiling above the microwave was about 102 . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, I have posted similar infared temperature gun results as you did, and in my opinion, the Winnebago motorhomes insulation values are built for "moderate" climates. Our next motorhome will have MUCH better insulation than our current one.

We have dual pane windows, but that is the only "Winter/Summer" option that is available as far as insulation goes.

I agree that the basement air does a good job with what it has to work with....it could be EXCELLENT though, with the right insulation.

(Next time, use your temperature gun on the inside ceiling to wall edge...where the aluminum connects the walls to the roof....HOT HOT HOT!!!...It will burn your hand!!)
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

jdsr,
Yes - I'm sure of the 49 degree reading. I held the temp gun just under the vent with the IR red dot actually measuring temp inside the duct. I have checked the gun with several different conventional thermometers and find satisfactory correlation with them (usually withinplus or minus two degrees at almost any temp reading).
I too am astounded at this reading. Will be on an extended trip to central Kansas later in the month and I am sure we will have the opportunity to check it under more adverse circumstance. Will post if anything significantly different.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

jdsr,
In response to your post, I forgot to confirm that I do have basement air. Love it.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Howdy!!

John is correct. We installed a 15k Carrier low profile unit in our kitchen vent.

We can cool the coach down to 70 when its one hundred degrees outside.

We also wired it thru the electric bay with a disconnect so that if we are in a 30amp site we can disconnect the cord and plug it into the unused 15amp plug in the pedestal. That leaves extra power for the coach.

Cheers!!!

Hey to everyone! have not been herein a while.

Be safe and happy trails

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:30 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BucknJeff:
Howdy!!

--snip--
Hey to everyone! have not been herein a while.

Be safe and happy trails </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey guys!

FrontRange is dead-on - our coaches are built for moderate climates - I'd say high 20s to the 90s. When we toured the Travel Supreme factory last summer, buyers could specify additional insulation and even as standard equipment it appeared they had copious amounts of fiberglass batts. TS really looked more like a stick-built house than a motorhome.