Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Heating, Cooling and Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2006, 05:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Well here we are in South Texas this week. Have basement air on and it dosen't even come close to keeping the rig cool. Had it on all night and it maintained 72. When sun comes up it can't keep up. It hit 94 yesterday and this AC has been running for 18 hours straight and is 88 in here. Is this system undersized for the rig or is there something wrong. Both stages are cutting in as my current draw right now is between 16 and 17 amps.Right now at 9:10 am it is 75 in the coach, thermostat is set for 72 and outside temp is 82. Any Thoughts??
Steve St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Well here we are in South Texas this week. Have basement air on and it dosen't even come close to keeping the rig cool. Had it on all night and it maintained 72. When sun comes up it can't keep up. It hit 94 yesterday and this AC has been running for 18 hours straight and is 88 in here. Is this system undersized for the rig or is there something wrong. Both stages are cutting in as my current draw right now is between 16 and 17 amps.Right now at 9:10 am it is 75 in the coach, thermostat is set for 72 and outside temp is 82. Any Thoughts??
Old 05-14-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would have the system checked out. It sounds like you may have lost some freon or there's a restriction limiting the heat transfer of the condenser (possibly dirt or crud on the cooling fins). We regularly camp in temperatures in the high 80's to low 90's and are able to keep the coach in the 70's without any problem.

I would also check the duct work to the interior of the coach. You may have an opening where the ducts have become disconnected and are drwaing in uncooled outside air, or insulation is missing and the air in the ducts is being reheated by the ambirent air as it passes though the ducts.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

St Germain

Something is definitely wrong ...you don't mention year or model of your coach, but many in '02 and later have found problems with the duct work from the a/c unit up behind the rear cap to the roof area ...some ducts are pulled apart at joints somewhere in that run. A few have found the a/c unit itself was not properly seated into the duct work. Get under the coach on the rear corner where the a/c unit is while it is running, and see if you feel cool air there. If this is your problem, the fix will depend on where the duct separation is.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It is an 05 Journey 39k. I'll check the duct further. I only checked in the bottom corner outside the coach and didn't look further up.I'll also check the cooling fins for dirt.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Have you checked the filter, they get dirty quick. Vet Man
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Do you have any way to measure the air temp coming out of the ceiling vent? It should be in the 60's I believe.

The next thing that would indicate a problem as described in earlier posts - check to see if you have a good air flow out of the vent. I hold up a Kleenex to the vent and it should flap it pretty good. Yes - that is a real crude way of trying to measure theair flow but short ofan anemomente I can not think of any other way.

Oh yea - check to see that your fan is set on HI.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Here is the deal thus far . . . Filter is new. Cecked duct all the way to top and no leaks. Took off skins and coils are clean. Fan is on high. One thing I noticed is there are 2 LEDS on the outside control board and it is indicating "outside blower" low. How do I get this on High. I am also on a 30 amp service here. Don't know if that is the cause.

Steve
Old 05-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

It sounds like only one of the two compressor's may be operating.I believe that full load amps with both compressor's on is about 22 to 24 amps.Lower the thermostat setting to at least 10 degrees below the actual temperature on the thermostat and then watch the amp meter.
Good Luck
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem, and mine was the second compressor would not come on line when
needed. Or when the there is a 4deg. differance. My 30 amp system would pull 12 to
14amps with the first comp. and 17 to 19amps when the second comprssor came on line.
And that is with the fan on Hi. The.4deg. differance is betweem set temp. and room temp.
The fix was a new RVProduct thermostat. As I recall about $115 dollars! TENN.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Now 86 in RV. set temp to 68 and still only 17 amp draw. Second Compressor not kicking on for some reason. Can being on a 30 amp service cause that.

Steve
Old 05-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Just turned on generator and Bingo 2nd compressor kicked in and 22 amp draw. Won't work on 30 amp service for some reason.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I am pretty sure, when on Gen.power, that the
second comp. will not register on the amp.draw
meter???As it is powered from the 20amp. braker
on MY 5500 Marque Gold!!! May be differant on
your coach???

Also turn A/C off and wait about 5min. then
back on with a 10deg. or more. After the first
comp. comes on the second one will come on line
in 20 or 25sec. I am able to hear the relays
click on the thermostat when each are pwwered
up. This may be a double post as I am having
a storm and !!!!!!TENN.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

It is 3 pm and we are Lake Shore RV Village, right near Lake Mead. Outside Tempature is 101 with no shade other than the awning. Inside tempature is 75.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:21 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by St.Germain:
Just turned on generator and Bingo 2nd compressor kicked in and 22 amp draw. Won't work on 30 amp service for some reason. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that cool it down??
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Big Ben:
It is 3 pm and we are Lake Shore RV Village, right near Lake Mead. Outside Tempature is 101 with no shade other than the awning. Inside tempature is 75. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you on 30 amp service?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Seems to me it could be defect in power management system. This system should manage all on 30 amps..and turn off/switch to LP the heater..fridge etc...to maintain full A/C
Old 05-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Well it's all fixed. So this is how it is supposed to work. . . Cool in here now. It appears breaker 2 was tripped. Didn't show red or in middle position so it looked like it was on. It actually never worked and I didn't realise it.So now I am at a 30 amp site and energy management dosen't seem to operate properly.Was showing 27 amps and outside breaker tripped.I thought it would sut off compressor 2 if it got too high. I now have panel set on 20 to see if it will shut off other things to accomodate the current.

Steve
Old 05-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was showing 27 amps and outside breaker tripped.I thought it would sut off compressor 2 if it got too high. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve

I think my coach has tripped the campground breaker maybe twice in three years before the energy management could shut down compressor #2, etc ...it can happen. Might be a weak campground breaker, or might be due to BIG overload like the wife turning on the microwave when the a/c was running
Old 05-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Steve,

It would appear that your system including the energy management system is working properly and perhaps you have a faulty or weak pedestal breaker. Your EMS (energy management system) will not start sheding load until it sees the 30 amp exceeded for approximately 20 seconds. after that you will see the green lights next to your amp meter begin to disconnect until the amp load is reduced below 30 amps.

As you are seeing a 27 amp load on the EMS meter, the system is seeing that you are within it's parameter to operate, i.e. not too high, don't shed anything.

Sometimes the pedestal breaker will trip early if the outside temperature is really hot, around 100 or higher. Breakers are a temperature operated device and technically they should be derated above about 85 degrees.

Hope this helps, if you need additional information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mike & Lisa
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote