Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Some things that may help your A/Cs ability to cool the coach:
1. Use something to lessen sun intrusion on windshield. Reflectix, pull drapes, solar shade.
2. Window awnings or day shade on all windows.
3. Reflectix in back of cabinets and closets.
4. Park facing North if possible.
5. Lower tstat early in the day when you're expecting a hot day.
6. Make certain filter is changed often.
7. Check supply plenum for leakage to outside
8. Keep entry door closed as much as possible
9. Make certain #2 compressor is operating.
Great response. I agree across the board.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Did you install it or have a shop to it. I have a vent were I want to put it. Getting
Power to is my only problem
garyclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

We had a 2004 Journey, in Vegas when it was 106, it kept it to 78. with slides in. We cleaned the coils every year. I always put the slides in when it got well over a 100. We had a 2000 Adventurer that wasn't as well insulated and wouldn't get below 80 when it was really hot. Hope you can find the fix.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

I had a small RV repair shop do the install because I didn't have any help to install or a way to lift the unit.

Charged me 8 hours labor. I supplied all the parts so I knew what went into the install.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

start capacitor

Does anyone know the location of the start capacitors in a 2002 adventurer 32y thanks
Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

There should be 2 screws at the bottom of the louvered panel holding it in place. Remove them and swing the panel upward. You should then see a covered panel at the rear of the surface facing you. Under the cover are the start capictors for both compressors
Old 08-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

roof air

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
I had a small RV repair shop do the install because I didn't have any help to install or a way to lift the unit.

Charged me 8 hours labor. I supplied all the parts so I knew what went into the install.
Earl, I like the idea of adding a roof a/c in the roof vent ,since hole is already there. We have an 06 meridian so I assume you have the powerline EMS. Were you able to route the a/c through it or was it too much load?
capnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Capnj,

I just added a new CB at the mail breaker panel at the foot of my bed. There was an open CB space falls in the power-line control system, I can't tell you. So far I haven't had a problem but, I have not tryed running the microwave oven at the same time as all 3 AC units. I just haven't been in that situation yet, nor have I just tryed. I don't see any problem when plugged into 50 amp as you really have a total of 100 amp available. I've run all three units on the generator and draw in the 40+ amp range but they all work fine and the gen handled it OK.

Please note that I added a separate power transfer switch just for the roof AC. The roof air is powered from the main AC CB panel unless I plug a power cord for the roof air directly into the pedestal. It then is using the pedestal 20 amp CB as its protection and is removed from the RV power system.

I hope this answered your questions although, I didn't directly answer the power-line function question. Then again, I also don't run the microwave oven and both basement AC units at the same time when hooked up to 30 amp service because that is almost 39 amp draw. You have to use some common scenes when your power is limited.

Happy travels.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Our basement unit started to not be up to the job. Took it to ABC Bus and they did some tests and found that the #2 Compressor was not cooling. No freon. Took it back a week later and they lowered it out of the unit, repaired a freon leak, refilled it with freon and re-installed it. Works just fine now.

ABC was very professional and I felt their charges were in line. Their main business is repairing large tour buses and they have loads of experience with basement air.

I would recommend them.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Question

Thanks, very useful. Right now ,deciding on repairing , replacing , or removing basement unit. More than likely remove and add two 15000 btu rooftops using existing air ducts, one mounted over bedroom and other over vent in galley. Probably dometics as they seem to have an adjustable cycling control to alternate compressor starts
Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Interesting project! Please keep us informed of your progress and end results.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Our basement unit started to not be up to the job. Took it to ABC Bus and they did some tests and found that the #2 Compressor was not cooling. No freon. Took it back a week later and they lowered it out of the unit, repaired a freon leak, refilled it with freon and re-installed it. Works just fine now.

ABC was very professional and I felt their charges were in line. Their main business is repairing large tour buses and they have loads of experience with basement air.

I would recommend them.
Could you give me more info on ABC Bus? I Googled but couldn't sort out the ABC company you were referring to. There are many. Just what state would help.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

New & Used Coach Buses, Bus Parts, Service & Repair | ABC Companies

Locations

Locations | ABC Companies

RV Service (Under what we offer)

What We Offer | ABC Companies

We used the one in Faribault, Mn.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

roof air conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
Interesting project! Please keep us informed of your progress and end results.
Sure will. Am making decision today . Should be done in about a week. More to the reason for this in later post.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Hopped into this late, but I ran on a single 20A extension during a high 90's day juet to see how the coach would do on one compressor. It never got above 81 the entire day

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote