Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Basement AC

I have 03 Adventure with basement ac that does not work.the fan works heat works and heat pump works,but no ac.anyone have any ideas???
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

the AC portion is part of the same unit and it operates off a cooling part called a REVERSING Valve. This AC system forces the refrigerant to go in an opposite direction of the HEAT system...so cold air goes inside the RV not hot.... I am thinking REVERSING system and thermostat are going to be the answer to this riddle.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered a backup thermostat: "Coleman Digital Wall Thermostat Black True Air 6535-3442 Coleman Heat / Cool" for our basement heat pump. Bought it from Makarios RV for just over $102, with free shipping. I hope this information helps. I'm having a different problem that I'll post separately so I don't "hijack" this thread.

Tom
luckydog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have been looking for solutions also. Search this forum for 'basement air' and there is a bunch of good info.

No sense repeating it.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mine was not the heat pump version (A/C only) and I finally gave up on trying to find someone to diagnose and repair it. No RV place nearby would work on it and the residential A/C guys would not come out because it was an "RV part". I ended up buying a roof A/C unit with heat pump and installing it myself. Cost me a little over $700 for the unit and wiring and we couldn't be happier. My plan now is to remove the old basement unit, re-design the compartment and install a small freezer. Anyone in the Mount Rushmore area need a non-working basement a/c unit let me know, I'll make you one heck of a deal on one.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Wow, I love my basement a/c. And I have a local RV Technician to work on it if it ever gives up the ghost. Have met other basement air owners and they say the same thing, they love the quietness of it. Blessed to have cleaned the condenser coils and kept the filter changed and that's all. Just keeps running like my residential RCA refrigerator. As time goes on, though, old timer RV techs will retire that can work on these units and a generation of good a/c units will be lost.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep babying this basement air and enjoying the cool and quiet comfort.

Phil
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

No problems with mine. When I got the residential tech serving my home to take a look at it, even though at first he hesitated, when he finally saw the unit it was no problem for him as it was just like the units placed on slabs outside the thousands of mobile homes in the hundreds of parks in the area. It is just an all-in-one ducted ac unit and nothing really out of the ordinary. Most if not all of the parts to service it will be carried by a residential ac supply house or in the Graingers Industrial Supply Catalog.

When stuck call RVP/Airxcel or download the manual and check things out yourself. They keep no secrets from their customers and there is no Voodoo involved in these pretty easy to service units:

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/tech_info/manuals.php
Old 07-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

POst #7 is good advice....
Old 07-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Which model # do we have?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
No problems with mine. When I got the residential tech serving my home to take a look at it, even though at first he hesitated, when he finally saw the unit it was no problem for him as it was just like the units placed on slabs outside the thousands of mobile homes in the hundreds of parks in the area. It is just an all-in-one ducted ac unit and nothing really out of the ordinary.

Exactly folks, any residential HVAC tech can fix this unit. The trick is to call them and tell them you have a 2 ton Coleman AC unit that's not working, don't mention it's an RV. Coleman makes AC for regular homes and mobile homes. The compressors are standard units that are usually in stock at HVAC places like Johnstone's. The added bonus is that residential HVAC guys usually are cheaper than RV repair places and they come to you.

If you have any problem with the residential HVAC people not wanting to look at it please be sure that you specify that it is a "ducted" 2 ton Coleman AC unit that is at ground level NOT on the roof. Although I have not had any problems with mine, I have helped three people in three different states get service. Once the HVAC people actually see the unit they have no problem, just like Neil said.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
Which model # do we have?
OK, I got un-lazy and dug it out of the Winny parts manual.

Mine is a 6536.