Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Basement AC

We have enjoyed our basement ac....it's quiet. It's a 2006 so it's starting to sound gravelly when starting the ac up then is purring again. I'm sure it needs to be serviced but we have not found anyone who is willing to service it. I was told at a large rv service company that they don't make those ac's anymore and you can't get parts. My first question: is that true? 2nd question: I'm in CentraL Florida...does anyone know anyone who might be able to service this ac?
Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2001 and had a compressor go out last spring. Had no problem getting the parts out here in Las Vegas, just took a couple of days. I really like the basement air as I think it is quieter and more efficient. But alas, no more as Winnebaqo has gone back to roof AC.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

I'm sure that other facilities other than the factory authorized RVP locations can repair and service your unit but the following link will give you access to the list of factory authorized service centers:

Airxcel | RVP | Service

Just put in your location. I see there are a number of places in central Florida that are factory authorized.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagweed View Post
We have enjoyed our basement ac....it's quiet. It's a 2006 so it's starting to sound gravelly when starting the ac up then is purring again. I'm sure it needs to be serviced but we have not found anyone who is willing to service it. I was told at a large rv service company that they don't make those ac's anymore and you can't get parts. My first question: is that true? 2nd question: I'm in CentraL Florida...does anyone know anyone who might be able to service this ac?
You being in central Florida, I would take my coach to Lazy Days.....I don't know for sure about the Tru Air not being made anymore, but Lazy Days is my bet that they can get the parts and service the A/C.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We just had the "guts" of our basement AC replaced this summer. Coleman/RVP was great to work with. They aren't making the exact basement AC models anymore, but parts are readily available.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

For all who claim or have been told that basement air is no longer made and parts are hard to find . . . please explain this:

Airxcel | RV Products | Off-Roof Units

stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It sounds like you may have a fan bearing problem if the system works well but is noisy when initially starting. There are some great posts on this forum with specific instructions on exactly how to change the bearing and capacitor.

I copied the instructions, then contacted the mfg. and ordered the parts. Easy. If you have the parts in hand, any handyman/mechanic can make the changes. I say that
because that's what I did. There are no special tools required and I didn't end up with many extra screws when I was done. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I've had both blower motors replaced over the years. They chirped a bit on startup but I didn't repair until it was a loud squall. One ran for a couple of years full-time use before the chirp turned into a constant squall. I had one compressor replaced last summer. I do not take the unit to anyone not listed as certified on the rvp website (learned in $$ the hard way). Even if they re listed I call first as some who are listed for basement systems don't work on them, or have never seen one.