Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement A/C

How do I check to see if Compressor 2 is actually coming on ? and what would I check in area with board and wiring ? have checked breaker all good there , and with Gen running so I can see how many amps its drawing what should that show with 1 and 2 compressors working , haven't found any loose or burnt wires
rjfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Each compressor probably runs at ~12 -14 amps (according to compressor size) and it spikes higher as it starts up. If you turn off the breaker to unit 1, only unit 2 should run.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Each compressor probably runs at ~12 -14 amps (according to compressor size) and it spikes higher as it starts up. If you turn off the breaker to unit 1, only unit 2 should run.

2 does nothing so ill have to dig a little deeper , Thanks
Old 04-29-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You should see ~23 amps with both compressors running. Number 2 won't come on if number 1 compressor is not running. So you can't flip the breaker to number 1 and expect the 2nd compressor to run...
What year coach/model do you have? Have you checked the start/run capacitors?
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
You should see ~23 amps with both compressors running. Number 2 won't come on if number 1 compressor is not running. So you can't flip the breaker to number 1 and expect the 2nd compressor to run...
What year coach/model do you have? Have you checked the start/run capacitors?

I have 1 running and notice no difference with 2 I have a friend who's good with Elec coming over tomorrow to do some checking , are the Capacitors the larger round Grey or the smaller black pieces , 2006 Itasca Ellipse
Old 04-29-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The capacitors are about the size of a tomato paste can. They store large amounts of electricity, even when the power is off and can be a real dangerous shock hazard. There are many YouTube videos available on testing and replacing them.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The capacitors are about the size of a tomato paste can. They store large amounts of electricity, even when the power is off and can be a real dangerous shock hazard. There are many YouTube videos available on testing and replacing them.

Will give that a look thanks
Old 04-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfox View Post
I have 1 running and notice no difference with 2 I have a friend who's good with Elec coming over tomorrow to do some checking , are the Capacitors the larger round Grey or the smaller black pieces , 2006 Itasca Ellipse
Yes each compressor has a run and a start capacitor so 4 capacitors total. Wouldn't be surprised if your capacitor(s) to the 2nd compressor are toast. They are easily purchased online or through a WGO dealer like Lichtsinn.
Let us know what you discover.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for the help looks like i need to test capacitors first
Old 04-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

There are many threads about the Coleman basement heat pump. IMO the best information here is from "Duner" https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...zBiZTYxYzU5ZWQ
Winnebago basement heat pump: AC under the coach,removal Airxcel RV Products Service locations basement air conditioner compressor Motorhome RV HVAC Controls - Evans Tempcon Start Device Package for Coleman Air Conditioners 8333A9021: Automotive Basement A-C Removal Procedure-Revised 8-24-2013.pdf Coleman Mach 2 Two TON Plus Basement Air Conditioner W/HP 24,000 BTU 46515-811 Basement A/C Removal & Outdoor Blower Replacement Procedure - iRV2 Forums Replacing the Coleman Mach thermostat with an Ecobee Coleman 46515-811 69859 Two Ton Plus Basement Central Air Conditioner 24000 BTU
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Make sure tstat is set at least 5 deg below room temp.

I would start by checking the 12vdc tstat Y2 cable on the tstat pigtail. This is what signals the #2 compressor to start. If 12vdc, I would then check for 12vdc on EMS circuit board, as the #2 compressor runs thru the EMS. If present, then check for 12vdc on basement pc board.

If the #2 compressor and run capacitor are good, and #2 start capacitor is bad, the compressor should try to start, indicating amps on your panel to go very high for a short period before compressor internal overload trips.

Put tstat in electric heat mode and set temp above room temp and see if #2 starts. In heat mode, all operations are handled by pc board once tstat calls for heat.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Rjfox,
http://bryantrv.com
Has good troubleshooting info.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Rjfox,
http://bryantrv.com
Has good troubleshooting info.

Thanks will have a look
Old 05-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

My #2 compressor does not turn on under generator power, just under shore power will it kick on.
Pacakazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacakazz View Post
My #2 compressor does not turn on under generator power, just under shore power will it kick on.

You might have a bad Run or Start Condenser is kind a what I've been finding
Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
What year/model MH and 30 or 50 amp service?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

We've got different RVs being discussed here. I'm confused as to whether it's a 30 amp system with an EMS to control loads or not. In many 30 amp systems, the second A/C is only powered by the generator. Step one would be to be sure power is present at the second A/C. In some of the explanations so far, it sounds like A/C #1 does all the work and #2 only kicks in when the first can't handle the load. With two identical A/C systems, it sounds a little odd to be configured like that.

All these things should be sorted out before just buying new starting capacitors. Also, many A/C systems use a capacitor with dual functions, part starts the fan and part starts the compressor. Easy to tell by the number of wire connections on the end of the capacitor.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
We've got different RVs being discussed here. I'm confused as to whether it's a 30 amp system with an EMS to control loads or not. In many 30 amp systems, the second A/C is only powered by the generator. Step one would be to be sure power is present at the second A/C. In some of the explanations so far, it sounds like A/C #1 does all the work and #2 only kicks in when the first can't handle the load. With two identical A/C systems, it sounds a little odd to be configured like that.

All these things should be sorted out before just buying new starting capacitors. Also, many A/C systems use a capacitor with dual functions, part starts the fan and part starts the compressor. Easy to tell by the number of wire connections on the end of the capacitor.
This is a basement unit, 2 compressors in a single unit sharing the inside ductwork and fan. When you first turn on the A/C compressor #1 will come on along with the outside and inside fan. After a few seconds the #2 compressor will come on. Once the inside temp has reached the set point the system will attempt to cycle #1 compressor on and off to maintain the set temp. If #1 compressor can't maintain the temp it will turn on #2 compressor as well.

He has a EMS system and it will run both compressors on 30 amps, drawing 23-24 amps, assuming no other loads. These units have separate start and run caps for each compressor as well a a run cap for the fan motor. I just replaced the start caps on our unit. Start cap, actually PTCR attached to it was fried. Not sure why but seems these problems are always with the #2 compressor. Probably because the electrical system is already under a load, #1 compressor and fans running, when #2 compressor tries to come on line.

Also sounds like he has 50 amp RV and 50 amp supply. That's why he 's using the generator. When connected to 50 amp supply the EMS does not show amp usage, only on 30 or 20 amp supply or generator.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I suggest you start a new thread for your issue this way there should be no confusion...let us know year/model and 30 or 50 amp service.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
I suggest you start a new thread for your issue this way there should be no confusion...let us know year/model and 30 or 50 amp service.
He has a gasser with 2 roof units per his profile- model 33V. A new thread is necessary.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote