Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I've got a '98 Win Vectra w/ CAT diesel. My engine temperature gage is bad. Freightliner tells me the whole instrument cluster (ICU) unit has to be replaced to fix the gage. That might be ok except the icu costs $3200 and then there is about 2 or 3 hours labor to install it.

Has anybody run into this? I'm looking for suggestions. I would go immediately to SilverLeaf but I can't find an ECM connector under the dash, nor can I find an Allison connecgtor under the dash. Does anyone know if either connector actually exists under the dash for this MH and where I might find it.

I've got a call to SilverLeaf to see if they can help and to see if I can run leads from the rear engine ECM connector to the front of the coach. I figure the SilverLeaf setup will be a whole lot cheaper than the Freightliner ICU. I could even buy a nice laptop to go with the Silverleaf for less than the ICU.

I'm open to other suggestion like an extra gage that I can hang on the dash someplace, but Freightliner is of no help with this because of liability issues.

Any help out there?
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've got a '98 Win Vectra w/ CAT diesel. My engine temperature gage is bad. Freightliner tells me the whole instrument cluster (ICU) unit has to be replaced to fix the gage. That might be ok except the icu costs $3200 and then there is about 2 or 3 hours labor to install it.

Has anybody run into this? I'm looking for suggestions. I would go immediately to SilverLeaf but I can't find an ECM connector under the dash, nor can I find an Allison connecgtor under the dash. Does anyone know if either connector actually exists under the dash for this MH and where I might find it.

I've got a call to SilverLeaf to see if they can help and to see if I can run leads from the rear engine ECM connector to the front of the coach. I figure the SilverLeaf setup will be a whole lot cheaper than the Freightliner ICU. I could even buy a nice laptop to go with the Silverleaf for less than the ICU.

I'm open to other suggestion like an extra gage that I can hang on the dash someplace, but Freightliner is of no help with this because of liability issues.

Any help out there?
2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wow - not a good situation Is the display defective or is there a problem with the sending unit? Perhaps they are telling you the electronics that provide the logic for data collection and display is defective.

I like the idea of going to a Silverleaf system assuming the electronic engine control isn't impacted by your defective part. Your engine might be old enough and isn't dependent on a computer to run properly. Silverleaf might not be able to interface with your '98 engine - best let them give the word on that.

You might also try the Cat forum to get some better engine advice and I would try another Freightliner dealer for a second opinion with that much money involved.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

John, I did have the MH to a CAT dealer and they told me it was the gage. Since it is Freightliner equipment I then went to FL. They spent about 4 hours chasing the problem. As the tech said, they don't want to make a mistake and tell me to spend a bunch of money and not have it work. I've got a call into Silverleaf but no return call yet.

I still can't believe I can't find a shop that would install another temperature gage that I could "hang" on the dash someplace.

The engine is programmed to shut down if it gets too hot, but I would like to have a warning from the temperature gage before that happens.
2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 03-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

In the left footwell area under the left side of the dash you probably have a carpet covered angled footrest. This footrest can be removed by removing the screws hidden in the carpet pile. Your plug is behind that footrest.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I finally found the ECM plug for my '98 Vectra with help from a member of this forum. Mine was to the right of the steering column and about 6 or 8 inches above the bottom of the dash. I will have to do some work to get into a position so I can use it.

Right now my plan is to use VMSpc from Silverleaf. I've ordered the JIB and an RS-232 to USB converter and hope to have it all by Friday. This weekend I will install it and give it a try. I'll post my results.

Thanks for all of your input.
pete
2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 03-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Received my Silverleaf JIB today and began installation. The EMC plug I found under my dash did not work. Power was OK but no data coming over line. I checked the box with the engine area EMC and it worked. I then connected to the Allison transmission plug under the dash and all worked well.

In short, I now have a working temperature gage as well as a bonus of several extra gages and status conditions. Much better than spending money on the instrument cluster and it gives me time to think this whole thing through.

Thanks to all for suggestions and help.
2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Pete - did you buy VMSpc or one of their display systems? I have used VMSpc for a couple of years and can't imagine being without it

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote