Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Winnabego Voyage that has had some parts come unglued. I found that a strong side wind seems to adversely affect these glued components. A trucker waved me over and told me that the drivers side fender section behind the door was flying out to the side. Sure enought the fiberglass skin had broken its bond and was flapping around, though I could not see it from the pilots seat. Later we lost the passengerside mud flap even though it had two fasteners and a glue strip. The last item was the hood bumper post and bracket coming loose and hanging down. Altman's Winnebago of Baldwin Park, ca., seems to be doing a good job in repairing these items by using braces and better fasteners or fiberglassing the item in place rather than gluing.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Hey welcome to the duct tape world. Everything on the back end seems to be held in place by plastic rivets through holes in metal strips. When you impact the rear section the entire piece separates from the metal strip...oh and good luck gluing it back on in cold weather. I'm duct taping it all back together until I hit warmer weather in Orlando later this month. What a poor way to fasten anything!! Doesn't anyone at Winnie think about repairs of this type at all??? I don't have a choice as to how hard duct tape residue is to get off...it's the only choice I have to keep the entire rear fiberglass section from falling off because it's all assembled with no thought in mind toward repair.

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:50 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

My two cents worth. I have a 04 VECTRA. Had the same problems. Lost two fog lights, Front hatch came loose on one side. Generator cover broke loose on both sides. I remove this cover and re epoxied. Back engine hatch came loose.
I fixed all of these problems and they have held just fine. You can buy two part epoxy at walmart. Be sure that it has 30 min. or more work time and 24 hr setup time.
texastimbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:07 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

When you try to take the duct tape residue off, squirt a little WD-40 on it and let it sit a few minutes. It usually works good on adhesives.

You might try a Bounce sheet too. A moistened one disolves bug juice like magic!

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

After traveling from NJ out west I found Hood falling off on a Saturday afternoon. I got out the roll of duct tape. It held good. Had to cut tape in spots to get off to check under the hood. Retaped in Salt Lake city, UT. Took it off in NJ. Used a product called "Goof Off" it takes the sticky stuff off, don't leave in on to long. I used some stanless machine screws and marine RTV and put hood back to gather. seems ok after 3000 miles. Maybe they should do a day trip to one of the good boat bilders larn how attach the hood.
n2xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

We have a 2004 Journey

I have "lost" the front hood, the rear hood, and one headlight.

The front and rear hoods have been bolted on with stainless bolts.

Winnebago fixed the headlight through a local dealer after I was out of warranty.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the club, ours was reglued. Our 6th day/night shade just broke. This one was restrung at FC in Sept 05, we have has so many problems, wish we had our old rig back.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:28 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

recently returned from forest city the adhesive holding the front cap to the steel frame failed at the sides..they took it apart and reapplied the adhesive and clamped...when you reapply the adhesive you really need to clean the area with 3m automotive adhesion promoter or it will not stick well like alot of the factory areas. I noticed the facory adhesive was gray and the new stuff was clear.

also the fenders are stuck at the bottom with some type of double sided tape. I had to re do both fronts with a stonger 3m version 80.00 a roll!
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Three weeks ago, four hours North of Las Vegas, I heard a rattle/slapping noise in the back of my 2005 Journey 39F. I stopped almost immediatelyand found the lower fiberglas piece of the back cap nearly entirely broken off. I used clear duct tape to hold it back on, got it home to Portland, and my dealer has been negotiating with Winnebago for two weeks. They acknowledge it probably was an epoxy problem. This, apparently, is no isolated epoxy failure. What gives?

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Journey 39F
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:29 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dcellisesq:
I heard a rattle/slapping noise in the back of my 2005 Journey 39F. found the lower fiberglas piece of the back cap nearly entirely broken off. my dealer has been negotiating with Winnebago for two weeks. They acknowledge it probably was an epoxy problem.2005 Journey 39F </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what I do not understand!! What is there to negotiate about? If you werent in an accident, what can Winnebago possibly be even "thinking" about? They need to fix it, NOW... PERIOD......!!!!
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 AM   #31

The hood also fell off my 04 Brave. I was unable to find any epoxy that would hold it, even Liquid Nails. I also tried JB Weld as well as Gorilla Glue.

After checking with several dealer repair shops from CO to La., I finally found a dealer that would tell me what they use and how to apply it.

Can't think of the name of the glue at the moment, but it came from Auto Zone (only AZ paint stores carry it) and was in a large double-tube package with one outlet nozzle. That packet cost $30. I also bought a "gun" to apply it for another $40. The "gun" is sorta like a caulking gun except that it is designed specifically for the glue package.

I used my Dremel to clean off all of the previously applied glue as well as to remove the paint and rough up the surface on the steel brackets.

After applying a generous portion of glue to both the brackets and the inside wall of the opening, I c-clamped the brackets. The glue set in no time and I was able to reinstall the hood cover the next day.

The hardest part of the whole thing was readjusting the cover so that it fit properly into the opening, and so that all decals lined up properly. I did have to be careful to maintain the original bracket spacing adjacent to the opening.

Winnebago customer service was of no assistance, and gave me the usual response when I called: "You do know your coach is out of warranty?"

I recognize that all manufacturers have problems of one type or another, but that one question/remark from Winnebago could well be the reason for my future coach purchases to come from some other manufacturer.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

ISLAPP -
The negotiation is about the bids to paint the new fiberglas piece and installing it. Winnebago did not like the hourly rate of the first bidder and so the dealer (it has no body shop of it's own) went to another body shop and obtained a lower bid - lower because the hourly rate was lower. I got word since I wrote the last reply that Winnebago had accepted the new (lower) bid. Now they say they must manufacture the piece because they don't stock it (I don't get this, either). We're shooting to have the job done by the end of the month...!
I must say that my dealer seems to have made every effort the more this along and each time I call, they are waiting for a response from Winnebago.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Journey 39F
Portland, Oregon
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago knows how many miles are put on there motorhomes in the first year by the buyer. There is a small percentage of glue failures in that first year-it is year 2 and 3 where most of the failures occur. I have had 1 driving light fall off in the first year. However in year two I had the rear enine cover, front cover and other driving light fall off. I doubt if the NTHSB will recall these motor homes as the numbers are to small. That has not stopped me from telling everyone (campers) how much of a piece of crap job Winnebago does regarding this. I had the dealer tell me it would cost almost $1000 to reglue the rear cap and engine cover.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:17 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I am glad that Winnebago is stepping up to the plate and paying for the repair. I just hope that the body shop that is doing the repair is capable of it. Let us know how it goes.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote