Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We have a single bulb florescent fixture inside the "china cabinet" in our coach that used to come on with the little halogens under the cabinet. We noticed yesterday the florescent was not coming on. I swapped bulbs with another fixture and could not get any bulbs to work in the fixture. The bulb that was in the fixture is bad, but does at least flicker in other fixtures. Today I got the fixture out (it was attached with double-sided tape & silicone glue/caulk) and determined there is current to the fixture, but no current in the fixture itself. I presume the easy thing to do is to just replace the fixture. I've never had a fixture fail along with a bulb...

Now the REALLY STRANGE thing ...the bulb in this fixture inside the "china cabinet" has rose colored cellophane taped around it. Is this a factory "trick" to try to tone down or change the color of the light???
Old 03-24-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have a single bulb florescent fixture inside the "china cabinet" in our coach that used to come on with the little halogens under the cabinet. We noticed yesterday the florescent was not coming on. I swapped bulbs with another fixture and could not get any bulbs to work in the fixture. The bulb that was in the fixture is bad, but does at least flicker in other fixtures. Today I got the fixture out (it was attached with double-sided tape & silicone glue/caulk) and determined there is current to the fixture, but no current in the fixture itself. I presume the easy thing to do is to just replace the fixture. I've never had a fixture fail along with a bulb...

Now the REALLY STRANGE thing ...the bulb in this fixture inside the "china cabinet" has rose colored cellophane taped around it. Is this a factory "trick" to try to tone down or change the color of the light???
Old 03-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Paul, check out the LED lighting at a Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Some of them have a color selection that you might find acceptable.

I've seen the use of tape to create a desired color. MO = it's a fire hazzard. The LED's are low power consumers and low heat output.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

LED Fixturs and bulbs
Old 03-31-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Haven't found any 12v lighting at Home Depot or Lowes ...and didn't find anything at the LED website that would replace the flourescent fixture that provided indirect lighting inside our china cabinet ...it would have to be something like strip lighting or rope lights ...in 12v version.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

AFChap
Try going to www.windsun.com
I have purchased 12volt dc thin lites from them.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Great web site Ed.

Good idea with the 12 Volt Rope Light Paul.

I ran into these led for the 1383 reading lights.
Now if the price were to drop to 10.00 each (and they will), I'll get some.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Good info Ed ...the light I have that went bad is a Thin Light. I see they have replacement ballasts ...guess I could go that route...

Also appreciate Ed's web sites. I really do like the 12v rope light idea. We use 110v rope lights on our awning sometimes and like the soft light they put out. ...and the maintenance level should be nil...

Agree on the 1383 LED replacements. Our coach has four of those lights, and we have replaced three bulbs in two years. But the $55 price for each replacement is a bit beyond what I would be willing to pay!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

When I went to www.windsun.com, I found ThinLite florescents and also replacement ballasts. My bad light is a ThinLite, so after checking prices on all my options I ordered a replacement ballast from them. It came today, and I removed the old one, pop-riveted the new one into the fixture and wired it. I touched the two leads to the battery in my toad and the light works fine. So rather than $40+ shipping for a new light fixture I fixed it for $18.95+ shipping ...total just over $26. Now to get it reattached inside the china cabinet with double sided tape or whatever ...maybe I'll use sticky velcro so I can get it out easier if there is a next time...