Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have an 2003 Sunrise with two slideouts with toppers and a shade awning. All three of these have the vinyl peeling off in chunks and cracks appearing over the rest of them where the sun hits. Is this normal for their age or a little soon? Also is there a repair for this?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have an 2003 Sunrise with two slideouts with toppers and a shade awning. All three of these have the vinyl peeling off in chunks and cracks appearing over the rest of them where the sun hits. Is this normal for their age or a little soon? Also is there a repair for this?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2003 Brave and the toppers were very bad, just like you described. We had to get new ones last year. Our awning is ok.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

With you having the same year coach I wonder if these were a bad batch. I would also like to know could I use a sunbrella material awning in place of these vinyl ones. They hold up great for boat canopies and outdoor umbrellas.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Not sure what you mean by "shade awning," but I just read a post by the owner of a 2005 with slide toppers coming apart!! 2003 model slide toppers are probably beginning to reach their lifetime depending on brand & material used, how often used, and whether or not the cloth is under a cover when stowed.

I replaced my slide toppers last May. Mine were Carefree. We are fulltimers, and the stowed toppers are under a metal cover when stowed. Although the material had a little life left in it, the stitching was coming out on the ends and sides. After checking with Carefree and finding they had problems even figuring out what size I had, I removed the toppers without much trouble (after pinning the roller spring), took them to a local awning shop in Dallas, selected from a variety of materials, and told them I wanted the new ones to be the same finished width -- for sure no narrower. Two days later I picked up the new ones and put them on. The cost was a little over 1/2 what new ones from Carefree would have been AND no shipping cost.

As for using sunbrella material, I have heard others say they used it and liked it. I have seen it on slide toppers once or twice.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I would say for the age of your toppers I would expect this but not knowing how often you use your coach it is hard to say. I am very familiar with Sunbrella and can only say I think it is a far superior product. A friend of mine has an 06 Adventurer that came with Sunbrella awning and toppers. He uses it that coach a fair amount and his awnings look like brand new. Sunbrella has been used for years on boats with great success. I will change mine out when the time comes to Sunbrella. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I ended up replacing both slide out toppers on my 2003 Suncruiser 35U. Back bedroom slide topper was the first to go back in 2006. Other one was replaced last November after I eeked out another year with some white duct tape. Both did not have any covers.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Itasca, no problems with the slide toppers but the main awning has bubbles in the fabric about 24 inches apart in a straight line across the awning. This has to be defective material. I to will change to the sunbrella material when the time comes.

2005 Itasca 33V Workhorse Chassis
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a 05 Vectra part time use except for wintering in Florida two years ago. It has A&E slide covers and they are comming apart; delaminating and tearing. Is it difficult to remove the unit (12 ft. slide being the largest) so I can have the fabric replaced.
SMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it difficult to remove the unit </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My small one is apx 9' and large one is apx 14'. When I took mine off, I pinned the roller to hold the tension (left end on Carefree toppers) then with a helper also on a ladder we simply slide the fabric out of the rail on the coach complete with roller attached. Of course, I had to remove the fabric from the rollers to put the new fabric on.

I was surprised at how easily the new fabric slid into place. After a little jury rigging, I figured out how to prop one end of the roller with the roller in place so I could slide just the fabric back onto the roler and coach sides at the same time. If you don't have metal covers on the roller, it will be even easier. With the 9' topper, I was able to slide it completely into place by pushing it with my hands from the top of a ladder. With the 14', I had to push until it stopped, then get down and go to the other end to tug a bit, then go back and push, then go back and tug, then go back and push. With an assistant on the other end, it should be surprisingly easy to get in. FYI -- my fabric did not origianlly have screws anchoring it in place on the motorhome. I think I will have to add a screw on the large awning as the rubber piping on that one tends to travel causing the other end of the topper to become loose.

Once the new cloth was in place, I wound up the roller to apx the original position so the tension would be about the same, bolted the roller in place, and watched carefully while the DW retracted and extended the slide to ensure it all worked smoothly.