Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
Jim
Winnebago Owner

the lock mechanism on my a&e 8500 awning appears broken internally..it swings back and forth but doesn't catch..since the awning is under spring tension i am apprehensive about taking the end cap off..has anyone had this problem or know how to repair this..the manual i have doesn't go this far..thanks..jim
Old 07-28-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
Jim
Winnebago Owner

the lock mechanism on my a&e 8500 awning appears broken internally..it swings back and forth but doesn't catch..since the awning is under spring tension i am apprehensive about taking the end cap off..has anyone had this problem or know how to repair this..the manual i have doesn't go this far..thanks..jim
Old 07-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Not sure about repairs, but DON'T pull the end cap without first putting a pin through to spring mechanism. Someone else may help with repairs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Ok, you can purchase an "end Cap" kit with the lock. When I replaced mine, I had to unroll the awning about 2' from the top then secure it.This takes most of the spring pressure off. I used 2 ladders, one to stand on and one to brace the awning. Then you unbolt the end cap from the arm and holding it with vise grips, slowly release the spring tension. Then you have to drill out the pop rivets after marking where the slots are on the roller. Of course you need a pop rivet tool to install it too. The instructions will tell you by the color of the spring inside the arm, how many turns to wind it (with the vise grips), re install in the opposite manner. They give you pretty good instructions with the kit and pop rivits also. I carry an extra kit with me and the pop rivit gun and drill also.....I've done a few. The other way as mentioned before is to unroll it and put a pin on the roller to lock it, I used a phillips screwdriver.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Jim
Winnebago Owner

thanks fossilhog..do i understand correctly that if you use the pin to hold the spring you don't have to use the vise grip unwinding process??..then the cap would just slide away after removing the pop rivets and only the internal mechanism gets replaced..jim..
Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes that's correct, but have the vise grips there for backup.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
Jim
Winnebago Owner

fossilhog..where did you get the parts..i couldn't find it on the internet so i called dometic..they told me i have to buy the entire torsion assembly for $50+..thanks..jim
Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I got them at my local dealer. Its an "END CAP KIT w/lock. Once I went to camping world and needed parts for the awning, they weren't on the shelf but got them at the parts counter. Why not shoot an email or call Lightsinn. Those guys are great and can find exactly what you need...and quickly too. Here's the part number..3103773010-End Cap Replacement Kit.
http://www.lichtsinn.com/partsform.cfm
Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

A&E made a major change to their awning locking mechanism a few years ago.

Their original cam design consisted of very small teeth on the locking cam. These small teeth would wear if the awning lock was not engaged securely. The design that was instituted ~5 years ago consisted of much larger gear like teeth. Make certain you get the cams with the very large gear like teeth.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
Jim
Winnebago Owner

fossilhog..saw your pm and haven't checked for parts yet..still visualizing the process and since i am taking off for florida don't want to start anything i might not be able to finish..i'll report back..thanks for your interest..jim
Old 08-09-2007, 03:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Have a good trip Jim, I'm headed north to the 1000 Islands. NJ is in a heat warp!