Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

One of my park neighbors asked if my awning wind sensor worked. I asked him what he was talking about. He pointed to a "vent-like" pipe sticking out of the roof near the entry door and said that it was the awning wind sensor. I looked up in the owner's manual and found NOTHING. Anyone have any info on this item? Does it roll up the awning automatically? Whatsssssup?

Spooky - Journey 36DL, 330 Cat C7
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

One of my park neighbors asked if my awning wind sensor worked. I asked him what he was talking about. He pointed to a "vent-like" pipe sticking out of the roof near the entry door and said that it was the awning wind sensor. I looked up in the owner's manual and found NOTHING. Anyone have any info on this item? Does it roll up the awning automatically? Whatsssssup?

Spooky - Journey 36DL, 330 Cat C7
Old 02-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

There should be an on/off switch located in a compartment. Mine is located in a compartment next to entry door. It senses how strong the wind is blowing by temperature between 2 sensers. At least that the way I think it operates. An alarm goes off if the outside temperature is to low. Totally unrealable! I have had mine replaced & I still don't trust it!
It is suppose to roll up the awning when the wind gets to a certain speed. If the wind is blowning to hard with awning up, you shouldn't be able to roll it down. What speed of wind this is??
Old 02-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The wind sensor looks like a little white 'top hat' - mine is in the center of the front cap about a foot aft.

It uses two thermistors that measure a difference in temperature and somehow that equates into a wind speed. I don't understand the engineering, but it does work (sort of.)

Yes - it will roll up the awning in a certain wind speed. Do a forum search and you will find instructions on how to change the wind speed threshold.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Spooky - Do you have to extend the awning manually or is it electrically powered? If it's a manual awning, you don't have a wind sensor. If it's electric, here's a link to it's product page. Just above the picture of the awning is a link for the owner's manual. Like John said, it sorta works....
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Spooky- HERE is a thread on this sensor that went through here several months ago.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Here we go agaian - a terrific group of writers with great suggestions and knowledge. What would an old man do without your folks?

Spooky - 02 Journey 36DL, 330 CAT
Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Good afternoon,

Unfortunately unless you swapped out your awning, the 2002 models do not have the wind sensor option... that began a few years later.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi Ron: THANKS for your response. WOW! You never know what you have. There is a small 2" diameter PVC pipe protruding from the roof on the right side just behind the entry door. It is capped and has a series of vertical rectangular holes. Other RV Owners have said that it is the awning wind sensor. Yet, I do not see any control box in the basement compartment, except for the one that allows me to roll up or extend the awning. What do you think?

Spooky 02 Journey 36DL, 330 CAT
Old 02-28-2008, 04:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I hate to disagree with a dealer but looking at Winnebago web site under the options for 2002 Journey, there is an option for an electric awning. Check for a small toggle switch mounted on the side of box the roll up or extend switch is mounted on. If you one, that is the on/off switch.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

No one has to apologize for disagreeing with a dealer!! That's what we are here for. We have had electric awnings since 1999 but the wind speed sensors came out in 2003 but perhaps you received a late 02 with one.

I am going to attach below a link to the picture of the wind speed sensor to see if this is what you have.

http://www.dometicusa.com/awnings.php?product=31
Old 02-28-2008, 05:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Spooky ...

I have a 2004 Journey ... I have an electric awning ... there is a small black rectangular box mounted on the front wall of the front bay on the curb side that is the controller for my awning. <span class="ev_code_RED">On the back side of that box (completely out of sight) is a switch that turns my sensor ON/OFF </span>

Inside of the box are dip switches to change the settings for the wind speed to retract the awning
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
jfb
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Itasca with the same set-up as described by Skigramps. It didn't seem to work at first and the dealer replaced the controls and told us that it was factory set at 15 mph. Still don't trust it. Never leave the awning down when we leave or at night.
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I've had it roll up in near dead-calm air, and not retract long above the trip point. Even after doing what appears to be the fix, I shut the detect off and use my nose (so to speak).

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

RON, as a long time member of the forum I want to take a moment to thank you for your sponsorship.

Most of all for reading the threads and posting your input. As you can tell lots of us are set in our opinions and you can help us stay on the right path..Thank You
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Bringing an end to this - THANKS AGAIN for all your input. I found the dip switches and the On/Off switch. Left switch in OFF position and wind up awning at night. Seemed simpler than all the adjustments and settings, only to have it malfunction and roll up when someone sneezes.

Spooky - 02 Journey 36DL