Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Awning will not retract...any maintenance tips?

Hey guys. I have an A&E awning on my Winnebago Journey. It seems to roll out fine but doesn't lock in the out position (see picture below). The silver switch that locks or unlocks the roller just seems to spin freely never really catching. When I try to retract the awning, I have to pull the picnic table over to stand on it and help assist it to roll in by hand.

Is there a lubrication point or any ideas you can think of to help the awning roll in smoother?

Thanks.

Name:   awning.jpg
Views: 6337
Size:  18.7 KB
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the ratchet mechanism is broken.
I wouldn't drive it much until it's repaired because it won't take much of a side wind to unroll it and allow it to billow up and ruin the awning.
When that happens the arms are often broken and the brackets can even be pulled off the wall.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have awning locks on it now. We are just leaving for the beach (300 miles) next week and I would like it if the awning would roll in a little smoother without my assistance. I feel safe with the awning locks keeping it attached to the coach.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Awning locks are a great idea. Even though the racket mechanism design has been improved it can still be broken by a strong enough side wind.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Can you give me some info on the awning locks?
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Can you give me some info on the awning locks?
These are the ones I have on my coach. They are on ebay for around $19. Here is the link. There are several different types of awning locks out there. These are just the ones I own. I like them. Very simple yet secure.

A & E Awning Travel Lock Kit - Replacement - NEW : eBay Motors (item 160412740322 end time Mar-21-10 19:52:41 PDT)
Old 03-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I've seen (not mine) those awnings billowing down the road at 60mph. Frightening!
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedowney View Post
These are the ones I have on my coach. They are on ebay for around $19. Here is the link. There are several different types of awning locks out there. These are just the ones I own. I like them. Very simple yet secure.

A & E Awning Travel Lock Kit - Replacement - NEW : eBay Motors (item 160412740322 end time Mar-21-10 19:52:41 PDT)
I can't quite see how they work. Do they lock the arms or the roller?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

OP-It is difficult to tell from your pic but your awning looks like it is similar to mine, an A&E Two Step. If it is and if I understand your concern properly, I don't see a problem with your awning at all. On my awning, I do exactly what you said....stand on the picnic table and give it a little help then guide it in without it banging against the coach. Personally, I do not want my awning retracting like a bullet so that is why I nudge it from the table then right before it nears the coach it slows down and I give it a gentle nudge the last foot or so. Not sure if that is your concern or not but take it for what it is worth. Good luck and enjoy your coach.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Google Loes Hills Innovations Inc for info on their RV awning travel lock for both mechanical and auto awnings. I got one for my auto awning. Easy to install and use. About 40 bucks
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

To Fun Time. Yes, I agree with you. My last camper's awning retracted like a bullet. I used to worry it would damage the siding it would hit so hard. Maybe you're right, a little assistance is better than a retracting slamming bullet. I just wondered if there was a lubricating point on the roller to make it roll in just a little smoother. Not looking for a slam, just an easier roll in. I do have a quick question, when your awning is rolled out, when you want to retract it, do you have to flip the silver switch on the right end cap to make it roll in? My switch doesn't seem to hold the awning out. I have to put pressure on the awning and lock the braces to keep the awning out. Is this normal for this model?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Lee,

It does sound like the ratchet mechanism is not functioning. With the awning in the 'stowed' position, flipping the lever down should allow you to deploy the awning while keeping it from rolling back up. Once out, flipping that lever up (toward the coach) releases it and the springs will roll it back in. You do have to hold tension on the retracting awning with the pull down strap to keep it from rolling up too fast and slamming into the coach.

Another word of caution...those locks you got on ebay (if I am seeing them correctly) merely lock the arms together and will not prevent wind from unfurling your awning. Strong side winds can and will unroll your awning even if the ratchet mechanism is working. Ask any one of us who have traveled out West for confirmation. A real awning lock is one that keeps the awning tube from rolling when it is in the stored position. We use the one sold by RV Innovations. It attaches to the coach wall and roof radius and wraps around the tube. Ours got tested in 2008 on I-90 between Mitchell and Rapid City, SD. Wind gusts that would move us over the center line did not affect the awning.

http://www.rvinnovations.com/CustomDocs/AwningClamp.asp
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I'm not sure which awning you have, but your locking mechanism is stripped and will have to be replaced. I have an '01 and the lock was essentially plastic and the replacement was improved and has worked well.

Nick, '01 Journey
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

i see some rust on the pivot rod so maybe you need to use some wd-40 on the moving parts. also squirt wd-40 into the holes in the end of the awning roll to prevent the springs from rusting or corroding.
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

leedowney: to answer your question about flipping the pawl (lever) yes, I have to move it to the up position or down position. Smalranger has it right on. I now suspect your mechanism (pawl) is not working properly as once I flip it to the down position, I cannot put it up until I flip it to the up position. The awning holds in whatever position I place it in. I hope that helps you. Good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I agree with the others, your pawl is not working. As a test, open the awning, flip the pawl to the close position and close the awning. Once closed, try to open the awning without flipping the pawl, if it opens...you have your answer.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote