Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I just purchased an Itasca 24 ft, and it has no awning. I want to put an awning on it, but don't know what size I should get. I am also interested in getting one that is electric.
Any ideas?
faithfuljem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I just purchased an Itasca 24 ft, and it has no awning. I want to put an awning on it, but don't know what size I should get. I am also interested in getting one that is electric.
Any ideas?
faithfuljem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

can you give us the year and model of your Itasca?

the awning fabric attaches to the motorhome via a "track" on the side-wall near the roof-line ... does your Itasca have a "track"?

if it does, how long is the track?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Faithfuljem:

Welcome to the forum . You have come to the right place to get answers to your RV-related questions.

Depending on the location of your entry door (mid coach vs. front of coach), you can put most any length awning you prefer, limited only by the length of the coach and the places available to mount the hardware.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Before you decide to go electric, search around the forum for various opinions about electric vs. manual.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

manual, one less thing to break :-)

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Awnings with a weather tight metal guard that protects the awning when it is rolled up is worth the extra money. One, the sun will not dry the vinyl, two it stays dry in the rain.

Nothing worse than unrolling an awning that has been in the rain, that has sweated instead of dried and it is sour.

When I had other motorhomes with a vinyl awnings I was fortunate to be able to air dry the awnings in the backyard after a rain. Awnings will last a long time if you care for them.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
doc
Winnebago Owner

RE: Electric awning. We are still shopping for a new MH. Having looked at several with electric awnings we have decided these things are just too far off the ground to be of much use. I did see one with a piece of fabric that hangs down from the roller and gets wound up as the awning gets wound up. I know this is probably the wave of the future, but I don't mind putting it out and up at all. Certainly much cheaper the manual way and I can set this awning down as low as it will go and get some real sun protection.
The electric we looked at did not have this capability - or the salesperson did not know how to set it. and as someone above said, "less things to break"
Whatever this might be worth to you.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doc:
RE: Electric awning. We are still shopping for a new MH. Having looked at several with electric awnings we have decided these things are just too far off the ground to be of much use. I did see one with a piece of fabric that hangs down from the roller and gets wound up as the awning gets wound up. I know this is probably the wave of the future, but I don't
mind putting it out and up at all. Certainly much cheaper the manual way and I can set this awning down as low as it will go and get some real sun protection.
The electric we looked at did not have this capability - or the salesperson did not know how to set it. and as someone above said, "less things to break"
Whatever this might be worth to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doc, have you been able to find any 'new' rigs without electric awnings? I would think anything without a curb side slide is hard to find now.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote