Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We have seen 3 other Sightseer 35J's down here at Fort Wilderness, and two of them have their awning support corner posts on the ground. We didn't realize they even did that...we have always just left our awning attached to the motohome. Do they all do that ??</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We have seen 3 other Sightseer 35J's down here at Fort Wilderness, and two of them have their awning support corner posts on the ground. We didn't realize they even did that...we have always just left our awning attached to the motohome. Do they all do that ??</span>

Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mine do, although I've always left them attached. Granted I don't have a newer rig. Maybe I should try that some day.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

All manual awnings have the option to detach the arms from the MH. Unless you have it anchored to something screwed deep into the ground, I would keep it attached to the side of the MH. It makes a great big KITE and will not only destroy itself, but everything around it including everything on your roof!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">We have seen 3 other Sightseer 35J's down here at Fort Wilderness, and two of them have their awning support corner posts on the ground. We didn't realize they even did that...we have always just left our awning attached to the motohome. Do they all do that ??</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your model does un-attach from your motorhome and can be put on the ground with stakes to stop the "hit yourself on the head with the awning arms" attached to the motorhome method. We used to have your model on our last motorhome, and we never used the ground method....I left it attached to the motorhome.....that way you can roll it up quickly.....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I agree with the others about leaving the arms attached to the motor home. I am also a firm believer in a tie-down kit, a heavy metal stake in the ground at each end of the awning with a strap or rope attached to the awning. If my awning is out it is tied down. If a storm comes up while you are gone or asleep at night it could make a mess of things.
I like your pictures, Have a great time at Disney
Old 04-10-2007, 03:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have stayed in a couple of locations where wind wasn't a problem and we staked the support arms to the ground along with tiedowns on the awning tube ends.
I wouldn't do it where you need to put the awning up often though - too much hassle.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:15 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

In a situation like you are now from your pics, I would have mine down, if ther is solid ground to pin it down. I hate ducking under every time I come home. Pics look great.
Have a good one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:45 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your model does un-attach from your motorhome and can be put on the ground with stakes to stop the "hit yourself on the head with the awning arms".... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I did tht yesterday morning and almost knocked myself out !! When we put it up, I put one of our chairs there so you can to walk around it. Then the next day we folded them up to keep them dry and I walked right into it !! Yikes !!</span>

Old 04-10-2007, 07:45 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Why don't you go over to one of the other motorhomes, introduce yourselfs and ask them to show you how to put the arms in the patio position? It could be a great waqy to meet new people, which is one of the more important parts of RVings.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When we had a manual awning, we would always leave it attached, with the rear end lowered for drainage and secured with tie-down straps. It would stay this way even when we were away. However, one time in FL I parked in a spot where a tree prevented me from extending the awning and I was glad it did. When we returned from a day of sightseeing there must have been 20 awnings destroyed from one of those storms that frequently pop when least expected. Some of the 20 had tie-down straps.

Now with the "much improved" and "more expensive" electric awning we don't worry, BECAUSE it's useless. Sticks out straight so it doesn't provide shade except at high noon, closes by itself when the wind blows (sometimes) and needs to come in when it rains because according to the manufacturer it's not meant to be out in the rain.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lil'Darlin1972:
.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I did tht yesterday morning and almost knocked myself out !! When we put it up, I put one of our chairs there so you can to walk around it. Then the next day we folded them up to keep them dry and I walked right into it !! Yikes !!</span>[/QUOTE]

Get some of those foam tubes that kids use in the pool or even foam pipe inslation covers to put over the arms. It won't stop you from hitting them but it will lessen the blow.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Get some of those foam tubes that kids use in the pool or even foam pipe inslation covers to put over the arms. It won't stop you from hitting them but it will lessen the blow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">GREAT idea </span>

Old 04-11-2007, 04:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Noodles are great for slide-outs too. People don't understand why we have ugly orange on our bedroom slide edge. Ask me...I should have taken a picture of that bruise I got!

Rose
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I remember the time when one SUNNY DAY the stars were shining bright
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have used the awning in both configurations however I always feel insecure when it is anchored to the ground. Always expecting a strong wind and a fast take down. True it really gives you the extra room if you use a sunshade or something similar.
I use the twist in dog leash holders (Dollar Store) and ratchet tie downs.
I prefer to leave the awning attached and walk around with my eyes open. Try Home Depot for flexible insulation try to get 3 inch copper size will be a close fit to the awning arms, paint with a sealer paint then any color you like as a final coat. Or hang decorations.
When traveling I have started to use big wire ties around the arms to hold them in place if a strong wind comes up.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Hang a whirly gig or something from the awning rod. It will get your attention prior to impact. The foam is a good idea but takes up room.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

You could always wear a helmet or a hard hat How many times does it take for one to walk into the awning arm before one starts to look up?
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote