Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2005, 02:50 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
John;
I see the control box has changed from 05 to 06.
Below is the 2006 Weather Pro manual in PDF format.
http://www.dometicusa.com/pdf/3309960.007.pdf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Tom. It doesn't look like the older awning controller can be replaced with the new style unfortunately

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:00 AM   #22
Administrator Emeritus

FROM PAGE 2....

Important: Do not attach or hang any objects from
the awning or tie the awning down. If the sensor is
activated or the retract button is depressed and the
awning rolls up, damage to the awning and attached
objects may occur.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 03:38 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

The question was does the new awning width cause it to now touch the passenger slide out. The answer is yes. It touches the slide out topper cover on my passenger slide out. Not a problem, their is nothing their to cause it damage..but their is quite a difference (12") in drop now compared to before where the awning went out level (and would hold water most of the time). Also does help when the sun is out on the horizion. Before the awning was only benificial when the sun was directly overhead due to it height.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 04:01 AM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kenbt:
The question was does the new awning width cause it to now touch the passenger slide out. The answer is yes. It touches the slide out topper cover on my passenger slide out. Not a problem, their is nothing their to cause it damage..but their is quite a difference (12") in drop now compared to before where the awning went out level (and would hold water most of the time). Also does help when the sun is out on the horizion. Before the awning was only benificial when the sun was directly overhead due to it height. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken, my concern with your situation would be the eventual "wearing" of a spot into your awning,directly associated with where the wind pushes your awning against the slide topper.
Sure seems,to me anyway,the "working" of the wind on your awning would cause that to eventually "rub" a spot there.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:04 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ken, my concern with your situation would be the eventual "wearing" of a spot into your awning,directly associated with where the wind pushes your awning against the slide topper.
Sure seems,to me anyway,the "working" of the wind on your awning would cause that to eventually "rub" a spot there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is exactly why Winnebago intentionally installed awnings with shorter fabric on all coaches with a passenger side front slideout.

I think this problem has been eliminated in the 2006 models because of the increased coach height.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:55 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

OK, so I have a 855300A-400R on my 40AD and it seems to have a couple of problems. First when it is fully extended the end roller is well above the fabric and creates a dam preventing water from draining off the end. When I bring it in a little to where the roller is below the fabric, the end moves upward and is then at the same height as the side mount of the MH. The water is still trapped and must drain front and back.

The only way to get the water off is to repeatedly extend and retract the awning essentially "rocking" the water off.

The second problem is that it appears to catch water while it is fully retracted. I put mine out this morning to check the model number only to find it was full of water.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:18 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Well... Hmmmmmm...

I have a model 835xxxx. It would be great if mine would extend lower even at the risk of rubbing on the slide topper.

Like Richard in the previous post, I always get a surprise after a rain when the awning is rolled up and I unroll it. You need to be inside the coach or risk getting a bath when all of the trapped water spills out. That was great fun when that happened the first time

I had to use a broom (this is real high-tech) to push up in the center of the awning to dump the water this summer after a fast appearing thunderstorm. There was so much water caught in the awning it wouldn't roll up.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 10:12 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I found a second model # on the roller 835xxxx. The other number was from a label on the arm.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Yes the awning does touch the top of the slide out topper cover but there is nothing there to damage it. It may rub slightly in the wind, but I would rather have that then an awning that hold water in the rain and one that sat to high on sunny days where it was only useful if the sun was directly overhead. The material on the awning seems to be pretty hardy and I believe it will rot from old age before any damage would occur to it from touching the slide out awning topper cover.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:48 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Our awning traps a surprisingly large amount of water before it dumps. I have had neighbors remark to me that they were concerned about the amount of water buildup we had on our awning.

When we first got our rig and after reading all of the posts about the awning not dumping I was concerned that we had one of the "defective" ones. I watched it during several rain storms and it does function as advertised. I feel confident enought to leave it out when we leave for the day.
Dave & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same problem with my 2005 Suncruiser 37B.
How did you convice Winnebago to replace the awning?
I have spoken to them on the phone and they do not acknowledge any problem exists.
Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kenbt:
The question was does the new awning width cause it to now touch the passenger slide out. The answer is yes. It touches the slide out topper cover on my passenger slide out. Not a problem, their is nothing their to cause it damage..but their is quite a difference (12") in drop now compared to before where the awning went out level (and would hold water most of the time). Also does help when the sun is out on the horizion. Before the awning was only benificial when the sun was directly overhead due to it height. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
KDUNN is offline   Reply With Quote