Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Auxiliary roof air on 2004 Adventurer

After having issues with the basement A/C during an unseasonable hot spell in Florida last December I'm going to install an auxiliary roof A/C. I'm looking for recommendations for a brand and where to purchase it. I want one that is as quiet as possible and is the most trouble free. I've figured out how I'm getting power to it and will tie it into the ducts.

Thanks for your input,
Dave
Old 09-19-2016, 04:01 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Why not just get your Basement Air serviced? They do make replacements for them. Coleman-Mach - Heat Pumps for RVs and Special Applications | Airxcel
Personally I would rather have one, they are much better at cooling are night and day quieter. I had one that ran on 30 amp and would put to shame the 2 I have now. Yeah I might have lost a little basement space but what the heck it cooled so much better.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Assuming you don't have a height issue, I'd go with a Dometic Brisk II or an Atwood. Both come in either ducted or non-ducted versions. Try Dyers for the Dometic.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you add it to the duct system you're going to loose air from the basement unit. The duct system is to small to handle the extra volume. The extra back pressure will in turn reduce the air volume from the basement unit.

I added the roof unit to the vent in the kitchen. Ran cord from a new transfer switch in the electric service area to two new CB's in the CB panel then. Up through the refer area into the ducts then over to the AC unit. I have a cord that I can plug into a 20 amp plug and run it separate from the coach 50 amp service or it will also run from the 50 amp service. That means I can run the roof unit from a 20 amp pedistal when hooked up to a 30 amp pedistal. That means I can run both sets of AC's at the same time which won't run from a 30 amp service.

PS the extra pressure might split the duct coming up from the AC in the rear cap. On that thought, have you checked to see if maybe this duct might already be split? It does happen.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We also have a 04 Adventurer and live in South Texas (Houston) and have 100+ degree days and are pleased with the factory air. Make sure both compressors are coming on and functioning correctly.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. The basement air was repaired in December and is working but I don't want to be in that position again.

I'm going to make a a baffle that will go in past the last vent going to the basement A/C to stop the flow of air down the duct to the basement unit when using the roof unit. It will be used at night and on the road with the generator. I will either be able to close it thru the vent or with a small slot in the ceiling. The duct work was repaired several years ago when it split and I wrapped it in Reflectix for added insulation.

I like the idea of a separate 20 amp circuit to use when on 30 amp service.

bruceisla, what of the advantages of the units you recommended? I'm starting from scratch because I've not had a roof air in years. Thanks

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I've decided to use an Atwood ducted 15 k A/C unit. they got several good reviews. Now looking for best price/delivery.

Dave
Old 09-24-2016, 11:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ordered a 13,500 Atwood ducted air conditioner yesterday. Had trouble finding one as they are on back order of 2-3 weeks. I wanted the larger 15.000 unit without the heat pump, but it seems that unit only comes with heat. I'm sure there won't be that much difference in cooling and the smaller unit pulls slightly lower amperage.

Dave
Old 10-01-2016, 12:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I made access wiring and drain line by removing a 4" X 6" ceiling section behind the mid-coach entertainment cabinet and then burrowed thru the Styrofoam towards the A/C duct...a little scary. I used a 1" hole saw by hand and kept it against the plywood for the inside ceiling. Wasn't too bad.

I've decided to use a #12 extension cord that I will plug into the 20 amp receptical for the unused washer. I'm going to run another extension the same size that can be hooked up to a 20 amp park plug if we are at a campground that only has 30 amp service per dc8cappie suggestion. I will likely never use it but think it might be handy and easy to move the plug to the outside extension cord.

I'm making a fixture to block the cold air from going back to the basement unit when we are only running the roof air. It will go in the bedroom after the last ceiling register.

Now just waiting on the unit to arrive.
Dave
Old 10-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davel View Post
I made access wiring and drain line by removing a 4" X 6" ceiling section behind the mid-coach entertainment cabinet and then burrowed thru the Styrofoam towards the A/C duct...a little scary. I used a 1" hole saw by hand and kept it against the plywood for the inside ceiling. Wasn't too bad.

I've decided to use a #12 extension cord that I will plug into the 20 amp receptical for the unused washer. I'm going to run another extension the same size that can be hooked up to a 20 amp park plug if we are at a campground that only has 30 amp service per dc8cappie suggestion. I will likely never use it but think it might be handy and easy to move the plug to the outside extension cord.

I'm making a fixture to block the cold air from going back to the basement unit when we are only running the roof air. It will go in the bedroom after the last ceiling register.

Now just waiting on the unit to arrive.
Dave
Let us know how the install goes and we like pictures !!

Tags
roof, vent