Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

This was fun. For Horizon/Journey, here's the drill Drain the water heater and turn off the water pump. Move MH to a dry spot, and lift rear on jacks. Turn off propane and diconnect the gas line at the burner. Remove all the screws around the outside perimeter of the HWH. Slide under the waterheater compartment and remove the rectangular plate on the bottom of the compartment, and the 6" marine inspection port on the back of the compartment.

Go back to the front and with a putty knife or utility knife, go all the way around the perimeter cutting loose the caulk behind the mounting flange. You may need to remove a blockoff panel on the side of the HWH nearest the rear of the MH. Tug and pull on the waterheater until all caulk is broken loose and slide it out about 3 or 4 inches. Push the gas line back through the hole with the rubber grommet as the HWH slides out.

Then, from under the water heater compartment and working through the round hole and the bottom access opening reach up behind the HWH and unscrew the PEX hose on the brass checkvalve. Small water pump pliers are great for this. Then find a socket and ratchet that fit the hex on the checkvalve and unscrew it.

When you get it out, knock all the ol nasty stuck parts out with a suitable punch, peel out the rubber seat with needlenose pliers, put new teflon tape on the threads and begin reassembly. While you are in the neighborhood, go ahead and do the same thing to the cold water inlet checkvalve on the lower port...unless you are really likeing this enough to want to revisit this area in the future. Figure on about two hours one Sunday morning.

See wasn't that fun?

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Thanks troth - Now I understand why, before I start winterizing, I drain the WH and turn the By-Pass valve then turn on the water pump (also before draining the fresh water) to see if any fresh water will come out the WH drain plug which is still out from the draining. If any water comes out the WH drain hole then I know something is wrong and I haven't wasted any pink stuff. I didn't know exactly what had happened to the by-pass system on one of my previous coaches, but I had wasted 3 gallons of pink stuff before I realized the by-pass wasn't working. Thanks for your information. Too bad we RV owners have to re-due what the manufacturers should have done years ago.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote