Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

at what wind speeds to you close up your slides?

We are now living full-time in our Journey 40U (woo-hoo) and each slide has an awning topper. We expect a little noise from the awning toppesr in the wind, but even a slight wind seems to make them flap. As we get use to these new noises it made us think of this question.

At some expected wind speed we should probably just bring in the slides to protect the awning toppers and reduce the risk of driving rain getting in (my assumption that that will actually help.)

At what wind speed should we close up the coach to protect it from strong winds?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!!!)
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The speed at which rain and wind start damaging stuff. You will know. I bring ours in ahead of time if I know it's coming. Better safe than sorry. The flapping you hear after a 50 mph wind gust may be the awning beating up the side of your rig.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
The flapping you hear after a 50 mph wind gust may be the awning beating up the side of your rig.
Deadeye speaks the truth. It's not a sound you want to wake to at 3am. I know.

I've only brought mine in a couple of time and the winds were near 50 mph. We did have a bad incident while staying in NorCal over the holidays. Had to have a mobile tech come out and fix the slide topper in the middle of a storm the next day. $250.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If you anticipate heavy rain with the wind bring the slides in before the rain. Retracting during heavy rain will bring water in.

The velocity at which we bring slides in varies with the direction of the wind. We go by the behavior of the topper.

Leaving the coach or going to bed for the night requires a little pre-planning. If we are in an unprotected spot and winds are forecast for over say 25K we will bring in the main slides when we go to bed. If the winds wake us up we will bring in the BR slide.

We never leave the campground or go to bed with the powered awning out.

You will get a feel for what is right for you as you get a little more time on the road.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My fix was to install grommets in the outer edge of the awnings, but not to compromise the stitch in the fold. I then use a broom handle, etc. with a hook I made on the end to lift a bunge hook into the grommet, with a rope attached and secure the rope slightly taught to the underside of the room or track.
I have been in Marathon, FL and just came back from Paradise Valley South of Livingston, MT and both areas can have high winds...both times I have seen slide awnings tear, but not mine.
If you don't want to do the grommets, just cast a length of rope over the slide awnings and tie them off, with a bunge in the mix, but do it before the wind as it is like pushing a wet noodle to get the rope over in wind.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Adjust the tension on the toppers so they are tighter.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

about six years ago there was a thread on here about the "14 MPG motor home".

Well.. Coming across Texas that year, I was pushing 13.8 MPG per the dash, and I believe it too.. So how did I get this 8mpg motor home up to well 14 (slightly rounded).

Easy, 90-110 MPH tail wind, I mean absolutly dead astern, Not even 1 degree off the "Six O'Clock" position The tumble weeds were going straight down the freeway past me like I was standing still.

When we parked for the night we had slides out, Can't get in bed otherwise.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Having spent several times in Corpus Christi, TX, at the Naval Air Station, we always encountered winds at 45 mph with gusts higher in some instances. We have brought the slides in at those speeds. However, there is another thing that can be done.

Purchase a 4" or 5" wide strap. Truck stops have the tie down straps that the truckers use to secure their load. Cut the strap so that it is 2-3 feet longer on each side of the topper. Purchase a bag of grommets. Fold the ends into a triangle for double/triple strength and put a grommet in each end. Toss the strap up over the awning and positing it in the center. Tie a rope to each end and anchor in the ground. I use a doggy twist in stake and a spring loaded turnbuckle off of the stake to attach the rope to. Put enough pressure o the strap to just tighten the topper. Let the wind blow, but there is a limit as to when to pull it in. That comes with experience and hopefully not to late.

Why the 4-5" strap? Fold an 8x10" piece of paper in half. Use a strong thread and place it between the fold in the paper. Anchor the paper at one end, and the thread at the other, then pull the loose end of the thread. It will cut the paper like butter and the same can happen to the canvas/vinyl topper with a thin strap or just rope.

Just remember that if you use the strap method and you want to pull the slide in you will have to go release the strap.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for all the advice.

Thank you for all the advice. We will continue to keep an eye on the weather and close up when we know we will have some wind coming.

Sounds like we don't need to worry too much about mild winds, say below 25 mph, but as storms can be unpredictable we will probably be running our slides in and out a lot more than we expected when we are parked for weeks at a time.

In Texas it has been so hot that we have occasionally closed up some of the slides just to minimized the external surface area and interior air volume to cool.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Come West to the ocean where it is cool, cool, cool.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Slide Topper Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
The speed at which rain and wind start damaging stuff. You will know. I bring ours in ahead of time if I know it's coming. Better safe than sorry. The flapping you hear after a 50 mph wind gust may be the awning beating up the side of your rig.
Even with the slide in, the topper can and will billow out. I had removed the topper on my full wall slide when I encountered 30+ side winds while driving which billowed out the topper. I could NOT keep it in. The pressure on the side of the coach blows under the topper whether it is pulled in or not. I have installed an air dam under the awning roller to keep the air from blowing under the topper. I found a z shaped Hot dipped and primed flashing (Deck Header Flashing) 8 ' Long at Home Depot in the flashing department. It has legs of about 3" X 2" by 1/2". I bent a 1/2" Relief of about 1/8" down on the 3" leg to make sure it would not snag the topper fabric. Since I had the topper removed I had access to crimp the 1/2" leg over the top of the slide. I painted the side that shows black prior to installation. I had to pull it down to relieve the pressure on the roller to assure operation of the roller as the slide is retracted. I have not done the other slides yet but will probably do them too.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We have anti-billow devices on our toppers which supposedly will prevent billowing when slides are closed (and you are rolling down the road). I have on occasion duct taped the antibillow device into position when the slide is out to prevent the topper from becoming a sail. Seems to work. Just don't forget to remove tape before trying to close the slide. Don't ask how I know! I nowput a piece of tape over the slide switch to remind myself.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
We have anti-billow devices on our toppers which supposedly will prevent billowing when slides are closed (and you are rolling down the road). I have on occasion duct taped the antibillow device into position when the slide is out to prevent the topper from becoming a sail. Seems to work. Just don't forget to remove tape before trying to close the slide. Don't ask how I know! I nowput a piece of tape over the slide switch to remind myself.
It appears that is a solution only with the slides in. The air dam prevents billowing in or out.