Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just picked up my new Itasca 30B -- the Ford chassis seems a big improvement in handling and braking over my '99 Workhorse (454).
However, the trans is really noisey, even at idle at a stop. It whines; I'd guess it's the pump. The whine continues through all 5 gears.
The local dealer said all the TorqShifts sound like this.
Is this your experience?
Thanks,
John
Invent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just picked up my new Itasca 30B -- the Ford chassis seems a big improvement in handling and braking over my '99 Workhorse (454).
However, the trans is really noisey, even at idle at a stop. It whines; I'd guess it's the pump. The whine continues through all 5 gears.
The local dealer said all the TorqShifts sound like this.
Is this your experience?
Thanks,
John
Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

It was surprising that I didn't see anything on this in web searches; makes me think this is a bad new tranny and not a normal noise.

The radio has to be up fairly loud to mask it; even at a stop.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi John, I don't have an answer. Have you tried posting in the Ford Chassis Forum
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I did post on the Ford Chassis but received only one reply, so I thought this might be the more traveled of the forums.
This was a simple yes or no question from forum members, many of which have the Ford chassis, so I figured I might not have found the best category.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Opps, what I meant was have you tried the Workhorse ForumBut you probably have. Good luck.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the posts.
I assumed that it was the trans: it sounded like a noisy pump, it was there at idle, it varied with engine rpm with each shift. However, the posts made me realize I wasn't sure. I crawled all over the trans and the noise did not seem to be coming from there. Eventually I tracked it down to the brake booster which is powered by the power steering pump (which itself is fairly quiet). Now I have to find if this brake booster noise is normal (which I seriously doubt).
The very good news is that I'd much rather have this part changed than have some mechanic go into the trans.
Now, if I fix this, the windshield wind noise, and the out of balance - I will relax.