Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Are 2 AC's in summer heat going to keep it cool?

This will be my first summer with my new rig and was wondering what are the realistic temp changes I should expect to get with 2 - 15000btu units on a 37ft class A

When it gets 95 out there...is 72...75 realistic?

I think a 20 degree change is realistic in a standard home situation how about a MH?

What is everyone else getting.

Dave

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Parking in the shade will make a BIG difference.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Parking in the shade will make a BIG difference.
and if you can't do that parking with the windshield facing north or east will also make a big difference. you might also consider UV protection for the windshield...that will also help.

we were in AZ a few years ago during march. we had a string of 90+ days and the two ACs in our 35' class A were having a heck of a time getting the interior cool. I finally used some reflective foil on the inside of the windshield and within 15-minutes the interior temp dropped 15-degrees. the downside to the foil is it also blocks the sunlight...the UV shields that are placed on the exterior of the windshield block the heat but still allow light.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Personally I think realistic is 15 degrees cooler than outside temperature. As suggested, the way you park and windshield covers. Better to have the windshield covers on the outside. However, in a pinch you can close the curtains but between the curtain and windshield will be a lot of heat that can escape into the front portion of the MH. I use MagnaShade windshield covers. I can put them on in 1 or 2 minutes. It takes longer to get them out of storage than to put them on.

Also, purchase some aluminum space bubble at Lowe's or other hardware store. I cut pieces to fit each half of a sliding window. Raise the shade place a half on each side of the window, close the shade and they will stay in place (well mine do.)

The first time I did this I noticed an immediate improvement on the inside temperature. Well, at least it felt cooler. Seriously, it did help.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wayne, we have a new class A on order and will be looking for a good exterior windshield cover. I hadn't heard of MagneShade prior to your post but just watched the video. is it as ez to apply/remove as the video depicts? how about the interior magnets...how many are there and does the Velcro used to hold them in place stand up to the heat of the sun? the pros of the product are evident...no snaps and it appears it can be installed quickly and by 1 person. what are the cons?

Old 06-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

where you park; where the sun hits the rig; how well insulated your rig is; whether you have window awnings and whether you have reflective foil blocking the windows; will determine whether your AC units can lower the inside temp 15 or 20 degrees. 20 is about the best you can expect, unless you're fully shaded
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The external color also makes a difference. In a 36 ft you should get 15-20 degrees temp dif. If your coach is light colors and you use the external windshield shade it should be 20+.

The shade is pictured in my avatar.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We did just purchase an outside windshield shade from Prompt RV.... looked at Magna Shade and we got the front windshield and 2 side windows, wiper blade covers and carry bag all for way less than the price of just the Magna shade front shade. It's also a one person set up without needing a ladder, ordered and delivered in 9 days. Took about 5 min to get it in place the first time so it was fairly simple with the no snaps or drilling into the rig. Seems to be a good system.

Hope it helps block the heat from entering through the window as promised.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I am on my third Sunshade from Prompt. It has not failed to work yet...

Third coach, five years each, they did not wear out...
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
We did just purchase an outside windshield shade from Prompt RV.... looked at Magna Shade and we got the front windshield and 2 side windows, wiper blade covers and carry bag all for way less than the price of just the Magna shade front shade. It's also a one person set up without needing a ladder, ordered and delivered in 9 days. Took about 5 min to get it in place the first time so it was fairly simple with the no snaps or drilling into the rig. Seems to be a good system.

Hope it helps block the heat from entering through the window as promised.
the video on the Prompt RV website is less than helpful in showing how it attaches. can you please summarize the installation and use?

Old 06-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I'm sure the exterior windshield shades help... But I've owned 3 coaches here in Sunny Florida and never had an issue cooling any of them with two A/C running... On the new to me rig..97*F , 42 ft rig, black top parking lot, 2 ducted A/C units ... I was able to get it down to 68*
Old 06-07-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
the video on the Prompt RV website is less than helpful in showing how it attaches. can you please summarize the installation and use?
The screen actually has 2 metal hook/clips one on each end that is on a adjustable rubber bungee type strap that is attached to your screen. They clip on to your window frame. Start at one side attach the strap to the window unroll the shade keep some tension on it as you unroll it once you get to the other side connect the 2nd strap to the other window frame.

The very first time you may have to do it a few times to get the straps adjusted to the proper length to make a tight fit with no wrinkles in the material screen.

After the proper fit it's easy.

If you also get the side window shades they clip onto the window strap on the one side and use large suction cups on the other side.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
The screen actually has 2 metal hook/clips one on each end that is on a adjustable rubber bungee type strap that is attached to your screen. They clip on to your window frame. Start at one side attach the strap to the window unroll the shade keep some tension on it as you unroll it once you get to the other side connect the 2nd strap to the other window frame.

The very first time you may have to do it a few times to get the straps adjusted to the proper length to make a tight fit with no wrinkles in the material screen.

After the proper fit it's easy.

If you also get the side window shades they clip onto the window strap on the one side and use large suction cups on the other side.
thanks.

Tags
heat