Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Anyone remove carpet in front cab area of their Vista Class A?

Has anyone removed the OEM carpet and pad in the front cab part of their Winnebago Vista Class A? If so I am looking for your knowledge and experience to answer some questions. I am considering taking up the carpet and installing closed cell poly foam sound deadening / thermal insulating material in place of the current cheap 3/8" carpet pad Winnebago used.

I peeled back a corner by the door and it appeared that the pad was glued to the metal SuperStructure cab floor and the carpet was glued to the pad.

If someone did this is it this way everywhere?

If someone did this how did they get the cab floor cleaned up before they went back in with new?
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not a Vista but a Journey. We had our carpet removed and a wood floor installed in our rig. Yes, the carpet was glued down and he had to scrape it up and then scrape up the remaining glue. He said it was quite a job.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Not a Vista but a Journey. We had our carpet removed and a wood floor installed in our rig. Yes, the carpet was glued down and he had to scrape it up and then scrape up the remaining glue. He said it was quite a job.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not one I've done but it does sound like a job worth buying a new tool if you start the job.
The little multi-tools are great for speeding up scraping job and I might guess you will be looking at lots of smallish nooks and spaces where a small tools that works fast is going to be worthwhile.
One of these, perhaps:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...YaAuRQEALw_wcB
I wore out a good one and went for one of these as cheap and where I was at the time and it seems to be lasting well worth the $20 for lots of cutting and scraping jobs.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks, I have a scraper blade for my multi-tool that I would use if I ever remove the carpet and pad from the metal floor. Once I lifted the carpet and saw pad under it, giving some sound and thermal insulation vs. carpet alone, I decided to leave the cab short pile carpet alone until it wears out in a few more years. To do it just to slightly improve the insulation under the cab floor just does not seem to be worth the trouble.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I found that an offset saw blade on the multi-tool worked a little better than the scraper blade. It actually melted the adhesive, facilitating the removal. I haven't done the cab area yet but did remove the carpet from my entryway foot-well.

IMHO, a multi-tool is a must-have and I've found a corded one to be preferable to a cordless one which just isn't going to be up to a big job like this. I have both a Porter Cable and Harbor Freight corded multi-tools. The Porter Cable tool is great and HF tool works fine but, as with most HF power tools, it's probably worth buying the extended warranty unless you plan on using it heavily during the initial 90 day warranty period. If you do buy the extended warranty and it fails during the initial 90 day, HF will refund the full purchase price, including the extended warranty if you don't want a replacement.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Does it feel practical to just lay in a second layer of carpeting over portions of the area? Has some advantages as it is somewhat easy, gives some insulation and does have the advantage of being able to take it out and shake off the debris. There are "gripper" type buttons which can be fastened permanently to the back of the added, so that it grips the first layer and stays in place pretty well. I often have a set of carpet scraps on hand from the last home project and they work pretty well for a year or so and then just ditch them for another scrap. Local carpet folks are almost always glad to get rid of the excess.
For the tool, I'm finding the Wal-mart "hyper-Tough is working out pretty much as the Harbor freight tools and they are often cheaper, and closer, for those one time deals.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Someone replaced carpet in the cab area with hardwood prior to my purchasing it. They did a good job but not a perfect fit around some areas, like seatbelt anchors.

I've been told that hardwood isn't the best idea because of flexing of the floor in this area but no problems yet.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Just replaced the carpet in my stepwell with vinyl plank and I’ll tell you that is some sticky glue they used. The carpeting came off fairly easy using a pair of pliers and utility knife to pull and skin. The glue I left in place and used contact adhesive on the back of the laminate to hold it in place. Looks better and should be easier to clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B9BAAA0D-15C2-42B9-81B5-166DC4AEF0BE.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	554.7 KB
ID:	172747   Click image for larger version

Name:	F967B7E2-DC19-482B-A4DD-3CC2F51749AB.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	563.0 KB
ID:	172748  

Click image for larger version

Name:	E0CDED99-2E00-484A-87C2-A4A381672E0E.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	172749  
Jakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
The same thing with a 2013 Sightseer. It took a good bit of scraping to get it cleaned up. Now I'm talking hours, not days.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Wow on the vinyl plank. Very nice!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a