Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Any place for decent skylight prices ?

I have run across the usual mainstream Winnebago internet places for parts.
I need a skylight for my 04 Sightseer.

Part # 138379-02-01A

The quotes thus far are obnoxious. > 200 NOT including shipping.
Are these proprietary and NO aftermarkets ?

Thanks,
Steve
FlaSteve1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had to replace the skylight on my 2002 and did pay the exorbitant price. It was only after I installed it that I realized any aftermarket skylight would have worked as long as it was large enough to cover the opening. There's no compelling reason that it has to be identical to the Winnebago part. From inside, all you'll see is the inner skylight which fastens to the ceiling and is unlikely to have been damaged.

While you have everything apart, make sure you repair any water damage. Unfortunately, the PO had inadequately repaired the crack and ignored the resulting leak so I had to pull out and replace some damaged pieces of 1/8" plywood around the edges of the opening.

My bathroom ceiling plywood was also damaged so I replaced it and covered it with some textured FRP paneling from Lowes, which is a much better surface than the original fabric ceiling which made no sense for a bathroom and shower:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/48-in-x-10-...-Panel/3446550

The old ceiling fabric is easy to remove if you spray it with water from a spray bottle and let it sit for 30 min or so.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Brand new to this group, but have same problem in my '96 Brave.
Can you clarify how you replaced the 1/8" roof plywood?
Did you cut strips approximating the damaged laminate you removed and glue to the underlying foam around the opening edges, or what? Am assuming that still leaves a bit of structural weakness at the repair, but gives one something to screw the new skylight to.
Tdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdin View Post
Brand new to this group, but have same problem in my '96 Brave.
Can you clarify how you replaced the 1/8" roof plywood?
Did you cut strips approximating the damaged laminate you removed and glue to the underlying foam around the opening edges, or what? Am assuming that still leaves a bit of structural weakness at the repair, but gives one something to screw the new skylight to.
Around the skylight, the water-damaged top pieces (between the foam and fiberglass) pulled out and only extended five or six inches beyond the cut-out (there was probably a joint there between two sheets of plywood). I cut matching pieces, slathered them with water-proof glue (I can't remember what I used) and clamped everything together. Most of the damage was at the forward edge and there's an aluminum structural member close by so I don't think there was much structural weakening. You can pretty much tell by grabbing it and testing it's strength. If you were really concerned about structural integrity, you could through-bolt the skylight and, hopefully, the inner skylight would hide the extra hardware.

The rest of the damage was pretty much confined to the bottom layer of plywood, which was completely accessible once the headliner was removed. For that I used a spray contact cement which I also used for the new fiberglass panel ceiling. I installed the new ceiling in two pieces with the joint above the edge of the shower, using a 1/8" Masonite pattern that I made. I did this alone but it will be much easier to do with a helper. You can get plastic corner moulding and joint moulding to match the panels at Lowes. I believe Home Depot carries similar products. I also used the fiberglass paneling on the walls above the shower. I thought about doing the bathroom walls as well but didn't do it.

I also used Eternabond tape to cover the flange of the new skylight with Winnebago's specified sealant (not Dicor) under the flange. The current commercial name for the specified sealant is Manus Bond 75 AM.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everybody

I was able to get what I needed from Amazon, at a fraction of what the OEM is.
Diligence along with suggestions and internet searching was all I needed.

Steve
FlaSteve1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I just repaired mine and put it back. Its plastic and can be repaired by plastic welding or with a variety of adhesives. Next time it starts to go I will just purchase the nearest Generic Match that covers the opening since it just screws into the roof.

Concrobium makes a mold cleaner with no bleach in it that can be brushed into the ceiling carpet and take it from black to white like new in one application without damaging it. I put on safety glasses/rubber gloves, mixed it up in a plastic cup and applied it with a disposable paint brush to it into all the crevices of the weave/pattern without over-saturating it and the bathroom ceiling is as good as new.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

A $25 menards dome, tech screws, and clear silicone. Works for us!
guzzijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 01:22 AM   #8
Aspect 723D

2006 Aspect 723D Outer Skylight Panel Replacement

I hope you get some good responses because the prices I keep coming across make me want to put FlexSeal to the test. They say that there are RV salvage yards but none of them seem to have my skylight of course. (Note to self: If you see a basketball rim...your too close to it idiot). I'm sorry I'm new to this...the punishment does not fit the crime. It doesn't seem to be an oddball size or color. $400.00??? Please tell me there's another Avenue that this poor guy can take.
Hemlig25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Flat is OK.

If I hadn't found the one I used flat plastic sheet would have been my choice.
guzzijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Try RV Upgrades: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/searc...ylight&Submit=
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, light