Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Any one change a fan in the basement air?

I think our basement air conditining fan has failed. Our symptoms were an electrical smell smoke/moisture coming from the ac ducts on the ceiling. I was able to turn off the ac system before any breakers popped.

I crawled under the basement air and noticed that the water that the system collectes was not draining from the drain hole but all along the bottom of the basement air system. I was able to clear the drain hole and a lot of water drained out for a minute or two.

My thoughts are that the drain clogged and water built up in the squirrel cage of the blower and slowed the motor down and possibly melted some wires. I have not been able to get the fan to come on since. I am planning on lifting the cover off the control panel and seeeing what lights are illuminated in the morning. I do have some troubleshooting info on hand. If I turn on the air conditioning I do hear the compressor trying to start.

It could be a start/run capacitor or something else, but I was getting cool air/smoke and moisture thru the vents? It has been starting just fine and does get a lot of use.

If any one has change the blower fan, I would like to hear what kind of job it was. I am fairly handy I am open to thoughts or suggestions.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Jim, Duner did a brilliant write up on the removal and repairs to his basement air unit back in 2008. Below is the link to his pictures and repair procedures.

Powered by Google Docs

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Jim, Duner did a brilliant write up on the removal and repairs to his basement air unit back in 2008. Below is the link to his pictures and repair procedures.

Powered by Google Docs

Sammie
Thanks for that link. Bill knows his stuff!

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Duner's write-up is very good ...removing the unit from the basement and opening it up isn't really a big deal if you have a place to do it.
Quote:
Our symptoms were an electrical smell smoke/moisture coming from the ac ducts on the ceiling.
You DEFINITELY have more work to do than just "change a fan." More likely it is one of the two blower motors, probably the inside blower based on the moisture comment ...the blower cage probably sprayed water into the motor and shorted it out.

Both of my blower motors had to be replaced in the first three years of use ...they started squalling badly on startup, and the second failure went to a constant squalling to the point we quit using it. You might consider updating the squirrel cage fans to the newer plastic models while you are at it...

If you would rather have a service place do it, go to the RVP website at RVP > Products > Off-Roof Units > Heat Pumps and find a certified service location. In my experience, Winnie dealers have not been good service locations for the basement units. One place in Branson pulled my unit and had to order parts, so we buttoned everything up and plugged the duct ends and went back to the RV park for a week until the parts came in!
Old 04-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
KIX
Winnebago Master

JimandSue, Get something to sit the unit on upon removal that's about the same height as it is in the coach.
Removing the unit is easier with two guys but it can be done by one.
The hardest part is removing the screwed on supply plenum from the unit.
Replace the bearings and the squirrel cage blower unless you already have the plastic one.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I used Duner's instructions and pulled mine out to check fan, was not the problem but thats another story.

As stated before the plenum screws was my biggest problem, mine had screws on all four sides. I had a small table that was just the right height for mine to slide out on.

Getting mine back in was my biggest problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just had my basement air repaired by authorized service mobile repair. At first I thought it was the outside blower motor but it turned out to be the PC board. I would look on the RVComfort Web site. It has some trouble shooting charts that can help you diagnose the problem
Old 04-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I did not get to work on the air conditioner today. I did buy a portable LG 11000 BTU air conditioner to keep us cool, South West Florida is heating up Boating was our priority today. Tomorrow is the day for work.

The outside fan is working and the inside fan is definitely not working. I will post what I find when I pull it out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

On edit: I was typing this and didn't see your most recent post.....

Hey Jim, sounds like you got a little job ahead of you. Anyone like you that can figure out and change the nylon guides on the big slide will be able to fix the blower problem.

If you haven't already pulled the unit, I would try just running the unit in "Fan On" mode and see if the inside blower runs ok now that you drained the water out.

If you don't see any damaged/burnt parts around the circuit board area, then when you pull the unit out and take the lid off, you can look for the smoke/burnt parts. Try running the unit open to see and hear what's going on.

Last fall I had to use my procedure again when AC quit and I could see oil around one corner of the coils. Turns out compressor #1 was touching Compressor #2 copper line and wore a hole all the way thru. I pulled the unit and then had a mobile a/c repair guy come out and solder the leak, install a schrader valve and add the freon back in. It only cost me $110 and has been running great ever since.

Last month I met Pubtym (Charlie) in Las Vegas for the nascar race. He wants to revise the procedure to add more info he an I have gained over the past 3 yrs but I forgot about that little project til I read your post today. Every couple of months or so I hear from somebody fixing their basement unit....we've had a lot of success stories now.

If you have any trouble locating the RVP service manuals, let me know & I can send you the pdf's.

Good luck and say hi to Sue for me,
Bill
Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Hi Bill, thanks for your input and info. I have already tried "Fan Only" with and without the 2 hour time delay that is mentioned in the manuals. I will be getting into this in the morning and will post a description and photos as I do it.

I have to add that these issues that we have to deal with from time to time are just part of the journey, Life is good!

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I opend the air conditioner up today. The only thing I found visually was a melted indoor blower capaciter. I was actually able to spin the fan and got it running, but it stopped when I tried to start the air conditioner. I already have the plastic squirrel cage. If feels tight and spins smoothly, it will be lubed.

The lED lights on the circuit board appear to be doing what the schematic says they should. I ordered the capacitor for tomorrow delivery. I will keep you posted.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandsue60 View Post
I opend the air conditioner up today. The only thing I found visually was a melted indoor blower capaciter. I was actually able to spin the fan and got it running, but it stopped when I tried to start the air conditioner. I already have the plastic squirrel cage. If feels tight and spins smoothly, it will be lubed.

The lED lights on the circuit board appear to be doing what the schematic says they should. I ordered the capacitor for tomorrow delivery. I will keep you posted.

Jim
Jim, Be careful when handling a capacitor......even if the power is off. They store electricity so stay away from the contacts. If I were in your shoes I would consider changing them out too. They get a lot of wear and are inexpensive and easy to change out. they are in the top right corner of the electronic area. dark brown rectangular with about 5 wires on spade connectors. Top one is for #1 compressor and next one is for #2. Glad it wasn't your compressor or fan motor.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I must be one of the luckiest guys in the world! I ordered two capacitors (one for each blower). I replaced the obvious melted capacitor for the Inside Blower and started the system which started to work as it did when it was new. I will go thru system and do all the recommended lubes as required. Life is GREAT!

Total cost was about 115 Dollars including expedited shipping form Winnebago . We are so fortunate to be able to do some of the unscheduled maintenance as it happens.

I ordered the parts from Lichtsinn Motors, they made it happen and I commend their service!!

Jim

Our Webpage