Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 86
Another Schwintek slide failure

2014 Meridian full wall slide
We have had the coach for 11 months and a few days when our slide failed. We took the coach to the dealer and they ordered the parts from Lippert last Wednesday. We hope the parts arrive today so we can keep our reservations we have had for months to work with our church mission team in Roscommon Mi next week. I have read too many stories and have experienced this before with this system and it is a shame Winnebago has not had a recall to fix this disaster waiting to happen. I have owned a Winnebago motor home since 2000 and expected better from them than to put a system in their high end coaches that is not up to Winnebago Standards. If I had researched this slide system and read the many forum members reports of failure I have no doubt I would not have bought this full wall slide model. It is my hope that Winnebago will correct this for their loyal and new customers. Jim
__________________
2014 Itasca Meridian 36M
2014 Honda CRV
Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner
 
D Lindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 245
I might be more inclined to put the blame on Schinteck (Subsidiary of Lipper). Some how it seems that Lipper has a hysteric issue with under engineering and over rating their products as a whole. On the 2015 and latter units they went back to a Power Gear system (and yes Lipper now owns them) that seems to be holding up rather well according to the Winnebago Eastern Rep who has had 2 units with the new gear system with no issues. One of the fixes I've seen with your system is that at the factory they're putting a whole new style of track on the side of the coaches.
__________________
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota(TOAD) 2005 Honda Shadow in TOAD
AF-1 braking system
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper
 
Knightab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 19
I saw on some of the Thor coaches they now call it a 3trax system which I think is still the schwintec. Are these one in the same?
__________________
2015 Thor ACE 29.3
http://rvhappenings.blogspot.com/
Ohio
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Another Schwintek slide failure

Yep----One & the same with two tracks on the top instead of one ??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 86
Plenty of blame to go around

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I might be more inclined to put the blame on Schinteck (Subsidiary of Lipper). Some how it seems that Lipper has a hysteric issue with under engineering and over rating their products as a whole. On the 2015 and latter units they went back to a Power Gear system (and yes Lipper now owns them) that seems to be holding up rather well according to the Winnebago Eastern Rep who has had 2 units with the new gear system with no issues. One of the fixes I've seen with your system is that at the factory they're putting a whole new style of track on the side of the coaches.
Who ever sold this system to Winnebago did their job well, and it is not a matter of blame it is just the fact that Winnebago has not stepped up sooner when the failures came rolling in one after another to recall all units with a failure and apply the upgrade or new system. Not an easy thing to do I am sure but I read a post on this forum last year from a member that put it like this " If you have this system in your full wall slide it will fail, you just don't know when" I'm not here to trash anyone but this is not good for Winnebago or its customers. Mean time I sit at home waiting a week for parts, I wonder if they will put the NEW system on my coach or the same old known to fail system?? Sad
__________________
2014 Itasca Meridian 36M
2014 Honda CRV
Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper
 
Knightab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Who ever sold this system to Winnebago did their job well, and it is not a matter of blame it is just the fact that Winnebago has not stepped up sooner when the failures came rolling in one after another to recall all units with a failure and apply the upgrade or new system. Not an easy thing to do I am sure but I read a post on this forum last year from a member that put it like this " If you have this system in your full wall slide it will fail, you just don't know when" I'm not here to trash anyone but this is not good for Winnebago or its customers. Mean time I sit at home waiting a week for parts, I wonder if they will put the NEW system on my coach or the same old known to fail system?? Sad
Do you know what parts they are waiting on? I assume motors? Those are readily available from Lippert.
__________________
2015 Thor ACE 29.3
http://rvhappenings.blogspot.com/
Ohio
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
Do you know what parts they are waiting on? I assume motors? Those are readily available from Lippert.
With mine they replaced the entire track assembly and the motor. They said it needed to be shimmed because it was out of alignment. so far it has worked perfect but time will tell. And I also missed a trip for Presidents Weekend that I had planned for months because my coach was sitting at the dealer waiting for parts. They would air freight the parts if I wanted to pay the $600 otherwise they will only ship them ground. That was a crock of you know what in my opinion.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper
 
Knightab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
With mine they replaced the entire track assembly and the motor. They said it needed to be shimmed because it was out of alignment. so far it has worked perfect but time will tell. And I also missed a trip for Presidents Weekend that I had planned for months because my coach was sitting at the dealer waiting for parts. They would air freight the parts if I wanted to pay the $600 otherwise they will only ship them ground. That was a crock of you know what in my opinion.
I agree, no matter what the cost they should get the consumer taken care of as fast as possible. That makes them more careful about doing stuff right, but obviously we don't matter its all about them.

Hope you are trouble free in the future.
__________________
2015 Thor ACE 29.3
http://rvhappenings.blogspot.com/
Ohio
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper
 
PushedAround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 36
After reading about all of the problems I took a good look at the Schwintec slides. With my 40 years of backyard engineering I'd say that the mechanism should be about twice the physical size that it is, with the drive gear and the rack made of steel, not aluminum. It makes me ill that everyone has such problems with them. I wouldn't buy a coach with that system, ever.
__________________
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
After reading about all of the problems I took a good look at the Schwintec slides. With my 40 years of backyard engineering I'd say that the mechanism should be about twice the physical size that it is, with the drive gear and the rack made of steel, not aluminum. It makes me ill that everyone has such problems with them. I wouldn't buy a coach with that system, ever.

I agree--and for sure I won't again!! Got rid of mine and glad of it.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner
 
Jim Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 86
On a high note I just got back from Camping World and they are repairing the slide and should have it ready this afternoon. We will pack up tonight and head out in the morning and should make it by Friday if all goes well. Camping World stepped up in my opinion and did all they could in light of the slow shipping process by ground. I agree with 530ktm on customer service, hard to put a $$ amount on missing out on a preplanned trip so the big guys can save a few bucks while we sit and wait. Not what I call good for business. Well here's hoping the repair is complete and we can get all packed tonight and get on the road in the morning. Safe travels to all and God Bless, Jim
__________________
2014 Itasca Meridian 36M
2014 Honda CRV
Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
After reading about all of the problems I took a good look at the Schwintec slides. With my 40 years of backyard engineering I'd say that the mechanism should be about twice the physical size that it is, with the drive gear and the rack made of steel, not aluminum. It makes me ill that everyone has such problems with them. I wouldn't buy a coach with that system, ever.
Now you tell me. I like everything else though.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Who ever sold this system to Winnebago did their job well, and it is not a matter of blame it is just the fact that Winnebago has not stepped up sooner when the failures came rolling in one after another to recall all units with a failure and apply the upgrade or new system. Not an easy thing to do I am sure but I read a post on this forum last year from a member that put it like this " If you have this system in your full wall slide it will fail, you just don't know when" I'm not here to trash anyone but this is not good for Winnebago or its customers. Mean time I sit at home waiting a week for parts, I wonder if they will put the NEW system on my coach or the same old known to fail system?? Sad
I want you to know that Winnebago is not the only company using this mechanism. Tiffen also uses this in some of theirs including the Phaeton.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper
 
ChallengerRN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21
Mine was on a Thor Palazzo and for sure it had many issues. Too much weight to be moving with that small system-/. I believe that those rails do ok on the small slides. But way too small for the larger slides.

It has sure been great for me the last year to be rid of mine. To listen to slides going in & out smooth is quite the relief.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel Bars for Schwintek Slide Out MutinyGuy General Maintenance and Repair 7 10-07-2014 08:59 PM
Another Adhesive Failure FleetMan General Maintenance and Repair 9 06-30-2014 09:08 AM
Another Battery failure Daysu47 Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 11 02-03-2009 08:00 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.