Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Another Schwintek slide failure

2014 Meridian full wall slide
We have had the coach for 11 months and a few days when our slide failed. We took the coach to the dealer and they ordered the parts from Lippert last Wednesday. We hope the parts arrive today so we can keep our reservations we have had for months to work with our church mission team in Roscommon Mi next week. I have read too many stories and have experienced this before with this system and it is a shame Winnebago has not had a recall to fix this disaster waiting to happen. I have owned a Winnebago motor home since 2000 and expected better from them than to put a system in their high end coaches that is not up to Winnebago Standards. If I had researched this slide system and read the many forum members reports of failure I have no doubt I would not have bought this full wall slide model. It is my hope that Winnebago will correct this for their loyal and new customers. Jim
Old 07-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I might be more inclined to put the blame on Schinteck (Subsidiary of Lipper). Some how it seems that Lipper has a hysteric issue with under engineering and over rating their products as a whole. On the 2015 and latter units they went back to a Power Gear system (and yes Lipper now owns them) that seems to be holding up rather well according to the Winnebago Eastern Rep who has had 2 units with the new gear system with no issues. One of the fixes I've seen with your system is that at the factory they're putting a whole new style of track on the side of the coaches.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I saw on some of the Thor coaches they now call it a 3trax system which I think is still the schwintec. Are these one in the same?
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Another Schwintek slide failure

Yep----One & the same with two tracks on the top instead of one ??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Plenty of blame to go around

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I might be more inclined to put the blame on Schinteck (Subsidiary of Lipper). Some how it seems that Lipper has a hysteric issue with under engineering and over rating their products as a whole. On the 2015 and latter units they went back to a Power Gear system (and yes Lipper now owns them) that seems to be holding up rather well according to the Winnebago Eastern Rep who has had 2 units with the new gear system with no issues. One of the fixes I've seen with your system is that at the factory they're putting a whole new style of track on the side of the coaches.
Who ever sold this system to Winnebago did their job well, and it is not a matter of blame it is just the fact that Winnebago has not stepped up sooner when the failures came rolling in one after another to recall all units with a failure and apply the upgrade or new system. Not an easy thing to do I am sure but I read a post on this forum last year from a member that put it like this " If you have this system in your full wall slide it will fail, you just don't know when" I'm not here to trash anyone but this is not good for Winnebago or its customers. Mean time I sit at home waiting a week for parts, I wonder if they will put the NEW system on my coach or the same old known to fail system?? Sad
Old 07-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Who ever sold this system to Winnebago did their job well, and it is not a matter of blame it is just the fact that Winnebago has not stepped up sooner when the failures came rolling in one after another to recall all units with a failure and apply the upgrade or new system. Not an easy thing to do I am sure but I read a post on this forum last year from a member that put it like this " If you have this system in your full wall slide it will fail, you just don't know when" I'm not here to trash anyone but this is not good for Winnebago or its customers. Mean time I sit at home waiting a week for parts, I wonder if they will put the NEW system on my coach or the same old known to fail system?? Sad
Do you know what parts they are waiting on? I assume motors? Those are readily available from Lippert.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
Do you know what parts they are waiting on? I assume motors? Those are readily available from Lippert.
With mine they replaced the entire track assembly and the motor. They said it needed to be shimmed because it was out of alignment. so far it has worked perfect but time will tell. And I also missed a trip for Presidents Weekend that I had planned for months because my coach was sitting at the dealer waiting for parts. They would air freight the parts if I wanted to pay the $600 otherwise they will only ship them ground. That was a crock of you know what in my opinion.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
With mine they replaced the entire track assembly and the motor. They said it needed to be shimmed because it was out of alignment. so far it has worked perfect but time will tell. And I also missed a trip for Presidents Weekend that I had planned for months because my coach was sitting at the dealer waiting for parts. They would air freight the parts if I wanted to pay the $600 otherwise they will only ship them ground. That was a crock of you know what in my opinion.
I agree, no matter what the cost they should get the consumer taken care of as fast as possible. That makes them more careful about doing stuff right, but obviously we don't matter its all about them.

Hope you are trouble free in the future.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

After reading about all of the problems I took a good look at the Schwintec slides. With my 40 years of backyard engineering I'd say that the mechanism should be about twice the physical size that it is, with the drive gear and the rack made of steel, not aluminum. It makes me ill that everyone has such problems with them. I wouldn't buy a coach with that system, ever.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
After reading about all of the problems I took a good look at the Schwintec slides. With my 40 years of backyard engineering I'd say that the mechanism should be about twice the physical size that it is, with the drive gear and the rack made of steel, not aluminum. It makes me ill that everyone has such problems with them. I wouldn't buy a coach with that system, ever.

I agree--and for sure I won't again!! Got rid of mine and glad of it.

Russell
Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

On a high note I just got back from Camping World and they are repairing the slide and should have it ready this afternoon. We will pack up tonight and head out in the morning and should make it by Friday if all goes well. Camping World stepped up in my opinion and did all they could in light of the slow shipping process by ground. I agree with 530ktm on customer service, hard to put a $$ amount on missing out on a preplanned trip so the big guys can save a few bucks while we sit and wait. Not what I call good for business. Well here's hoping the repair is complete and we can get all packed tonight and get on the road in the morning. Safe travels to all and God Bless, Jim
Old 07-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Now you tell me. I like everything else though.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I want you to know that Winnebago is not the only company using this mechanism. Tiffen also uses this in some of theirs including the Phaeton.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Mine was on a Thor Palazzo and for sure it had many issues. Too much weight to be moving with that small system-/. I believe that those rails do ok on the small slides. But way too small for the larger slides.

It has sure been great for me the last year to be rid of mine. To listen to slides going in & out smooth is quite the relief.

Russell
Old 08-01-2015, 12:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Our Ellipse 42QD Passenger Slideout (Galley) had it's first Lippert/Schwintek Kit installed by CW of Raleigh after failure on the ninth deployment since new. That kit lasted only nine deployments as well. In each case we always had the coach on jacks, level, and engine running. The second kit was installed by CW of Tampa, during which they discovered the coach body opening was not square and shimmed the rack to compensate. We are currently on deployment twenty-four and running smoothly. Both kits were installed under the first-year warranty. Hate to think what the next kit will cost to install, though IF there is a next time we plan to schedule the repair at Forest City. The assembly plant apparently gets regular requests for slideout repairs - ugh.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #16

I own the 2014 Winnebago Adventurer 37F from hell! I am on my second set of FWS parts and although it has only been 3 weeks since the last repair, it already has problems. When I close it the bottom rear stays out about 2 inches and I can hear the gear jumps when I close it. It only has been about 10 cycles since the repair. The real problem is the not knowing if next time is the time it wont work . Going to the factory on my way back from Yellowstone to see what can be done for this and a laundry list of other problems. been told I can only have 7 items fixed at a time!!! What does that say about Winnebago quality?! I would have to keep resigning up if I have more than 7 and I do, many more. Factory appointments are months out so I am going to have to do the show up and sign up on a first come , first served list. I would NEVER buy Winnebago again
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
I own the 2014 Winnebago Adventurer 37F from hell! I am on my second set of FWS parts and although it has only been 3 weeks since the last repair, it already has problems. When I close it the bottom rear stays out about 2 inches and I can hear the gear jumps when I close it. It only has been about 10 cycles since the repair. The real problem is the not knowing if next time is the time it wont work . Going to the factory on my way back from Yellowstone to see what can be done for this and a laundry list of other problems. been told I can only have 7 items fixed at a time!!! What does that say about Winnebago quality?! I would have to keep resigning up if I have more than 7 and I do, many more. Factory appointments are months out so I am going to have to do the show up and sign up on a first come , first served list. I would NEVER buy Winnebago again
Unfortunately it is not entirely Winnebago at fault here but the inferior components that they have utilized. These same components are used in other brands of coaches with the same problems. I would think though that Winnebago would be all over these suppliers (hello Schwintek) to get the problems resolved once and for all. That is where the main problem lies.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

When mine was repaired it took a month to get the parts. I wasn't in a super hurry. However, if I was on trip when this happened I would be extremely upset to have to wait that long.

Any yet Winnebago isn't the only one to go down the SwineTech rat hole.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Yep...welcome to the world of Lippert components!! Our fiver had the Schwintek on the smaller bedroom slide which had no issues in the 3 years we had it. But a full wall slide using Schwintek....WHOA! what were they thinking? Problem is most folks don't know the history behind Lippert and the many issues that are out there. Our fiver appeared to be having a frame flex issue up near the king pin area..as you could see the caulking actually pulling from the side wall over three years. The frame was made by...drum roll please....Lippert Components!!!! We got rid of it while we could. Hope you can work it out.
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

What I don't understand is how every RV company's own engineers could have evaluated this system and given it an okay. Didn't anyone in any company question the design or the build of this system?

Yes, the RV manufacturers can be blamed. They are responsible for the OEM products they choose for their vehicles.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide