Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
What I don't understand is how every RV company's own engineers could have evaluated this system and given it an okay. Didn't anyone in any company question the design or the build of this system?

Yes, the RV manufacturers can be blamed. They are responsible for the OEM products they choose for their vehicles.
Maybe the engineers did and management decided to ignore it due to "financial considerations"? This is pretty common in manufacturing from what I understand.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:19 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Two years with my 2014 Winnebago 5th wheel and zero issues with the Schwintek slide. Seems the troubles I've heard are with rather large heavy slides. Mine is just the bedroom closet slide. The main slide is some other style as it has traditional large rails underneath.

So far I haven't had any troubles with the 5'er itself. Just appliance stuff, like A/C, Awning and toilet, all Dometic. My Winnebago seems very well built.
mileshuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycyn778 View Post
I own the 2014 Winnebago Adventurer 37F from hell! I am on my second set of FWS parts and although it has only been 3 weeks since the last repair, it already has problems. When I close it the bottom rear stays out about 2 inches and I can hear the gear jumps when I close it. It only has been about 10 cycles since the repair. The real problem is the not knowing if next time is the time it wont work . Going to the factory on my way back from Yellowstone to see what can be done for this and a laundry list of other problems. been told I can only have 7 items fixed at a time!!! What does that say about Winnebago quality?! I would have to keep resigning up if I have more than 7 and I do, many more. Factory appointments are months out so I am going to have to do the show up and sign up on a first come , first served list. I would NEVER buy Winnebago again
Well here is an update, I did stop in Forest City for repairs and met with WBG customer relations and an on site Schwintek rep. Although we had issues with the Schwintek factory sending the wrong repair parts causing me to stay at the factory for another week (I'm retired) but everyone of my issues were fixed. It's been a long road..all the trips back and forth to the dealer (220 miles round trip) and issues on the road (FWS would not extend in Acadia National Park) but I am looking forward to many trouble free years in my Adventurer 37F. If you can go to the factory for repairs, do it! Initially I balked at doing that as it is 1425 miles from home and I did not believe that it should not be my responsibility to travel to them to fix their issues but I did over 1200 miles back and forth to the selling dealer over the first 7 months of ownership so after a little sight seeing in the area I went to the factory and am very happy with the results. Good luck all
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:04 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

FWIW If you watch the video's of the system the Schwintek slide mechanism is slick. That is why they use it. The major problem seems to be capacity on the Full Wall Slide models. The recently went to triple tracks on that. No idea if they changed the motors. Still early days for whether it helped.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

It's sickening to read all the problems associated with the Schwintek slide systems on the large slides. As you can tell from my user name, we own a 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2. The big slide failed 3 months after purchase the first time we tried to go on a trip. The Camping World technician spent 7-hours trying to free the stuck slide so it would fully retract and finally succeeded by using a long crow bar. Thor sent two motors and and the Camping World techs installed them and "realigned" the slide and rollers. It worked for one short trip to Atlanta for the 2014 Petit Lemans and another short trip to our regional church conference later the same year. When I say "worked" I mean it struggled but succeeded in retracting the slide but almost hung up again at the same spot every time we tried closing it.
In June, I put the slide out to lubricate the gaskets and noted the teeth on the lower slide rail on the front of the big slide was badly worn - to the point of being knife-edge sharp and very thin. I got the slide closed and took it to Camping World who inspected the slide and agreed that the rail needed to be replaced. Thor wouldn't do anything for us but luckily, we had purchased a Good Sam extended warranty and they covered the repairs (except for a $299.00 postage charge delivery of the repair parts) (Thank you Good Sam!). I never did get a parts list but apparently they replaced the rails and motors, realigned the slide and re-calibrated the jacking system to ensure the Palazzo would be level. After the repair, the slide worked two times; once at Camping World to demonstrate the problem was fixed, and once for my wife to ease her mind and demonstrate the repairs had worked. On the third attempt (tour and demonstration for my cousin) the slide failed by locking up in the same spot it always has which is about half way in.
Camping World and Good Sam are working with me to try and get the slide in so more repairs can be made. Again - I am very grateful for their support.
Our biggest problem now is we have very little faith in the reliability of the Palazzo and our retirement dreams are gone along with $200,000 of our retirement funds. We simply cannot afford to be caught in northern New England, Canada, Alaska or up in the Rockies with a slide that immobilizes the Palazzo. And since the slide problem is so well known in the RV dealer community, the Palazzo is not worth much in trade.
That's the story of our Palazzo experience but after reading all the comments in this string, I see we are not alone. I'm glad to see Winnebago has stepped up and is actively trying to fix the problems and support their customers. Thor did so during the initial warranty period (12 months) but didn't lift a finger this time. If anyone else has had success dealing with Thor after the factory warranty has elapsed - I would be very interested in knowing about it.
It's a shame this defect has come about because the Palazzo is a great RV when things are working right. This could be said for all RVs but when a major system such as the slide malfunctions - you are dead in the water and at the mercy of the nearest repair facility which will equate to Big $$$$$.
I hope all of you have been successful in getting your slides to work properly and you never get stranded. We are open to any and all suggestions on how to fix this problem once and for all.

Sorry for getting so long winded,

John
14-33.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:22 AM   #26

John, all I can advise you to do is to contact Schwintek. My interaction with them at the Winnebago factory made me believe that they want to do the right thing and in my case I think they did. As far as Thor goes, you should have a valid argument since your first failure happened under warranty and this would be a continuation of that problem, initially Winnebago balked at helping me at their expense as I was 7 months out of warranty but I was persistent about calling the customer relations department and assuring them that it would be my mission in life to comment on any and all blogs about the poor quality of their products, especially since we owned their top of the line gasser. Good luck.
Ray
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:29 AM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

I figure I owe everyone an update. I did get a response from Thor and here it is, "John we will pay for the parts and you pay 4.0 hrs labor here at Thors service center. Let me know when in December or after the first of the year would be good for you to bring it here for the repair." Let's see - I'm suppose to cover the cost of an 1800 mile round trip to northern Indiana - in winter when there is a good possibility of ice/snow covered roads - and then pay 4 hours labor to get this fixed. I don't think so! I asked how much an hour of labor was worth and did not get a reply.

My Camping World has a Schwintek trained/certified technician and he did an in-depth analysis of the slide and found that it was installed off-center (1-inch clearance on the forward end and almost 3-inches on the aft end of the slide between it and the coach frame) which is causing all the support and guide systems to bind up the Schwintek system. In other words - the Schwintek system was working properly but due to the poor installation of the slide - the Schwintek components were put under unreasonable stress. The fix according to Camping World after discussing with Thor - center the slide which means it will more than likely need to be removed.

Our fix - get as far away from this Palazzo as possible! In the end we took a significant loss as in $$$ and moved back to a 5th wheel (Jayco Pinnacle) since I still had my dually. I look at it as buying our peace of mind back and will never look at another Thor product. I don't like the way Thor treated us and hope they don't do the same to anyone else after the warranty runs out.

I know there are a lot of folks out there enjoying their Palazzo and I say bless you and hope it continues since I know you put a lot of money into your ride. We are ecstatic over our new Jayco (with 2-year warranty) and amazed at how much 5th-wheels have improved.

I appreciate your site and the opportunity to share our experience with others. Best wishes to everyone.
14-33.2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide