Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Another foggy glass

I have an 07 Journey 36 G to wit the drivers side window has started to fog. I have researched the window issue on the forums and it appears that the whole frame has been removed to get the glass out of the frame. By the way this is the notorious driver's side front window. Not the windshield. Winnie says its out of warrenty eventhough it may have been on a recall. Anyway....has anyone ever tried to remove just the glass, is it possible to just remove the glass or do I really have to remove the WHOLE frame?

thanks
dog
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Here is a link to how the pros do it. These folks charge @ $200 a window. Click on the slide show link and see if you want to tackle this job. As far as I know the frame needs to be removed to get the window repaired correctly.
Suncoast Designers, Inc.

Dick
Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Another foggy window

jk_and_dog
Your window must be a dual pane window. Getting the frame out of the coach with the window intact is doable. Removing the dual pane window from the frame without removing the frame from the coach is not doable as you will bend the frame on a slider or you will break the glass on a stationary window. Removing the dual pane from the frame after the frame has been removed from the coach is also doable. Separating the panes, cleaning the glass and installing a new seal between the panes is a bear of a job. You can crate the frame with glass intact and ship it to Sun Coast Designers, Inc in Florida or ship it to Dave Root at <daverootrvglassrepair.com> in Bend , Oregon. Or you can drive to the nearest location and watch someone do it.
Milt
Old 05-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've been trying to find a place today in the local area of virginia beach but could not get a definite answer. Binswanger wants me to bring it by for a look see. They will order the whole window but that seems like way too much $$ time and effort. Looking at the video and reading other previous post it is doable but may be too chancy for me to attempt. I can do many things through Christ but for what ever reason the devil always finds a way of screwing things up. Forgive me I'm Baptist. Sorry. Anyway, if someone knows of a place that does windows in VA MD DE or NC let me know and I'll contact them. I don't think the "whole" window and frame should need replacing. If so then I'll live with it a while longer. ps---i do like these smiles!!!!!

thanks
jk
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If the fogging is pretty bad and you want a poor mans fix, you can do what a couple of my RVing buds have done - carefully break the outside window and then remove all the pieces of glass from the frame. Having a single pane in the one window will not affect your heating or cooling significantly.
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Beller View Post
If the fogging is pretty bad and you want a poor mans fix, you can do what a couple of my RVing buds have done - carefully break the outside window and then remove all the pieces of glass from the frame. Having a single pane in the one window will not affect your heating or cooling significantly.
we recently did a repair on our fogged passenger side fwd double pane window. we put duck tape over the whole INSIDE pane, taped a large garbage bag to the window sill and broke the INSIDE window glass pane with an automatic center punch. one hit in the lower aft corner with the automatic center punch was enough to shatter the whole inside pane. most of the inside window came out in 1 large piece, attached to the duck tape.
then the work started. it was a pita to remove all the small pieces of glass left in the window frame seal with small screwdrivers.
we then pushed the inside glass seal close to the outside pane with screw drivers and made the seal surface smooth. my dw applied a bead of black silicone caulking all around the window on the inside and smoothed it out. the outside pane is still tight in its seal.
my dw cleaned the etched glass surface with a single edge razor blade, vinegar, and bar keepers friend cleaner.
the glass is clear now. the outer pane is not tinted.
we can actually see the rear view mirror from the drivers seat through the window now!
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you are gonna use the poor man's fix(I did,took it to a glass shop) Break the INSIDE WINDOW>

Other wise contact the window manufacturer ( I did) and bought the window from them. Then took it to the glass shop and they installed it for 75.00 dollars. They just removed the glass not the whole frame. They cut around the black adhesive and ola the glass came out and the new installed. Overall a easy fix and not too costly, less than 175.00. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote