Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Another Carpet Removal Thread!

Our '04 Minnie Winnie has a super slide that is almost flush to the floor. There's a platform that the dinette sits on and then the couch also sits on that platform- what we are considering the floor of the slide.

The carpet needs to be replaced on the actual floor of the rv from in front of the dinette going across the front of the couch. Luckily the previous owner left the plastic on the carpet under the dinette. That carpet looks brand new. We removed the dinette benches and ordered chairs for the table.

Our question is about where the carpet from the rv floor goes to under the slide floor. We were thinking about cutting the carpet flush to the dinette floor and straight across in front of the couch. Our concern is when the slide comes in- will it sweep up the new flooring we want to put down? How do we prevent that?

It doesn't seem possible to lift that slide floor and get under it a little. I've searched and searched the forum and seen some threads that talk about using air bags, etc. to jack the floor but I'm not getting a real idea on how to actually remove that carpet up to the platform and make sure the slide doesn't drag up or scratch a new floor.

There's lots of pictures of some great looking mods on here but I guess I need some visual idea of what to do with the transition from under the platform of the slide to the rv floor.

Thanks!
campbrojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am just ahead of what you are doing. I have actually removed the carpet and pad just as you are anticipating. I have also removed the same all the way to the back of the rig. I found that the new Laminate and new pad are not as thick as the old rug and pad. I laid some text pieces down and ran the slides in and the slide did not touch the new flooring until it settle down at the end of the coming in length. I am installing a Laminate that is 7mm thick and a basic standard pad. I actually measured my carpet and pad after cutting them in front of the dinette and sofa. If you e-mail me I can show you a picture as I have not tried to upload yet on this forum.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

PM sent Dunnpe....thanks!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I cut the carpet in front of the slide leaving just enough to staple it securely so it won't get caught by the slide. I bought a air staple gun just for the job. I also used it to brad some of the trim down.

In front of the dinette I used oak baseboard with plastic door sweep behind it to keep Damcat from batting paper clips underneath. Also keeps tracked in pebbles out.

In front of the couch I used a thin transition T molding I got from the laminate manufacturer (Armstrong).

I also used the baseboard in the bedroom slide area and around the bed. I had to add 1X3 backup wood inside the storage compartment under the bed to have a secure mount for the trim.

One thing to note - don't plan on running the laminate close to the doghouse. You need to stay back 5 inches or so. There is a transition from the metal floor in the cab area to the plywood floor in the rest of the coach. On mine the metal is a little higher. The transition molding is difficult to secure to the metal also. If you stay back you can secure the carpet to laminate molding to the wood floor in front of the doghouse and the trim will be level.

Regarding lifting the slide - it can be done (Pace 89 here on the forum did it) but it looked like it would be a major pain in the bedroom so I opted to not do it at all.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
What a pro always does, is look how slide impacts the floor. The new hard surface is lower in elevation then the OEM cheap carpet/pad. After carpet and pad removal- look under your slide from outside and see the rubber flap- pull that down and you can see the carpet stapled down. Pry that up for total removal.
You don't have to mess with the slide.
good luck from an old Pro
Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
What a pro always does, is look how slide impacts the floor. The new hard surface is lower in elevation then the OEM cheap carpet/pad. After carpet and pad removal- look under your slide from outside and see the rubber flap- pull that down and you can see the carpet stapled down. Pry that up for total removal.
You don't have to mess with the slide.
good luck from an old Pro
Thanks! that makes sense. Thanks to Dunnpe as well for the pictures.

The DH seems concerned about the weight of the laminate. I guess I could see his point if we were putting in a pop up or travel trailer but I'm missing the point in a motorhome.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We are just completing that portion of our remodel at this time. What we did after talking to Winnebago is take all the trim of the big slide and move it as far out as possible then using a pry bar we lifted the slide front about 6 inches and placed a block under it. Then cut the carpet just in front of the lift built into the floor and stapled it down then laid the laminate right up to it and put a metal transision strip down. I am also using slider slicks to insure the slide does not rub on the new floor. We used the Slider Slicks before over the carpet. I am now putting the trim back on the slide. I did have to adjust the kitchen slide up as the laminate is thicker than the old floor. Again Winnebago gave me good directions on how to do this. We replaced the carpet from just behind the captains chairs all the way to the back end just going around the bed slide under the bed. The last part of the project is replacing the booth with cabinets/shelf and free standing table and chairs.

This was/is time consuming but it is looking very good. Hope this might be of some help. If you need more info feel free to PM me.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Goldwingerx2: "Again Winnebago gave me good directions on how to do this."

Did they do this in writing? Would be useful if they published a service bulletin or something like that since so many of us seem to be dumping carpet. Save them getting calls from us. Assume it was the nice folks at Customer Relations that helped? Thanks. Steve