Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Another Basement Air Question

I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon that I bought used several years ago. I am now questioning if my second air compressor is even working (or if it has ever worked since I have had the coach). When the gen is running or I am connected to 50 amp shore power, the light for both compressors lights up on the power management panel. When I set the thermostat to 5 or 6 degrees above the interior temp, I should be able to tell if the second gen kicks in by watching how many amps are be pulled on the management panel, nothing ever changes. I have checked the breakers for both units and neither is tripped. I have actually switched off both breakers and the AC shuts down regardless of which breaker I switch off. Another question I have is that concerning the louvered cover on the drivers side of the coach. Looking through the louver I see two fans that I assume are to pull air across the fins. I don't see that either of these fans ever come on. Am I correct that these are for the AC unit and if so are they for Compressor 1, Compressor 2, or both. I will add that even though they don't appear to ever run, the AC does cool the coach off of the main compressor. Can someone please help set me straight on all of this. Thanks in advance for the help and I am sorry for such a long pose.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am not sure why no one has responded so I will try. I don' t know which lights you are talking about on the power management panel as I only have one light for the second compressor. Regarding turning off only one breaker and the unit shuting down, if you turn off the second compressor the first compressor should still run. You need to tell us what the amp reading is when the unit is running?? If it around 17 or 18 amps then only one is running; if 26 or 27, then both are running if connected to a 50 amp source. (I don't know what the size of the generator is?)
The driver side fans are for cooling the transmission oil and engine oil; not the the air conditioners. I am not familiar with a 2000 basement air system so I may not be much help but if you can give us a little more information I am sure others can offer suggestions.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the response. I will go out tomorrow and check how many amps the ac is pulling and post here

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The fans at the rear driver side are the fans for the dash air and will come on when the dash air is on. The louvers on the rear right are for the basement air .
air flows in and the out the bottom of the unit. You should beable to turn off brk 2 and the ac should keep running. The amp for one comp is about 16amps and for 1and 2 the amp draw is about23amps
Old 07-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

With your AC off and with you outside by the AC, have someone turn on your air and set your temp several degrees below room temp. You will easily hear your first compressor come on and in 20-30 seconds you will hear the second one come on if it is working.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
...and in 20-30 seconds you will hear the second one come on if it is working.
...the delay is more like 2 minutes.

You can read the amps display on the EMS panel only when running on 20a/30a/or generator. The amps display has not read-out when you are plugged into 50a.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

On my 01 UA 40J the amps show with 50 amp or 30 amp shore power or generator . Both compressors pull around 27 amps.
WIDGET33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I also answered him on another forum where he asked the same question.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mrshwarz, I have been a member of this forum and another for over 4 years and yes I have in the past posed the same question in both forums because I always learn from both

To everyone that responded, thank you. Just for the heck of it I replaced the breaker on compressor 2 and now all is working.

Thanks again as always.

300 HP Cat Diesel