Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

another basement air question

we have a '94 vectra and are trying to find someone to service the basement air. we have called RVP service and the first 2 authorized service centers in our area no longer work on the units. we live in central Arkansas and would like to know if any one has had their units serviced ANY WHERE close to us. we did check with our home heat and air guys and they said they wouldn't touch it. thanks for any and all help
familycircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

What problem are you experiencing?
Are you even sort of "handy"?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had a mobile RV service repair my RVP while in Austin, TX. He said he works on a lot of them. You might want to call around for mobile service firms in your area. Many of them advertise at campgrounds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

KIX
on 30 amp service and low, the air blows but its not cool. we turn on gen and high, and it blows 67 degrees. it won't blow cool on low, but it does blow.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

oh! and hubby is kinda handy, but NOT electical!!!!

thanks bluepill, may have to try that.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Had a similar problem with ours today. Fan was blowing but not blowing cold. I turned both compressors off at the switch panel and turned them back on, worked for a few minutes, then the same thing. Noticed my thermostat was showing 55 deg. room temp. Hmmmm, replaced the thermostat, problem solved. And DW was very happy. BTW, RVP has a plug and play unit for the older W[nnebago's. It would probably be very for Hubby to get handy with DIY. Start with the simple things first and gradually get bolder. Look at it this way, if you were going to pay somebody to begin with, the worse that could happen is you would still have to pay them.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycircus View Post
KIX
on 30 amp service and low, the air blows but its not cool. we turn on gen and high, and it blows 67 degrees. it won't blow cool on low, but it does blow.
Your basement A/C unit has two (2) compressors inside. So, unless you have turned one of the compressors OFF with the circuit breaker it will be about the only thing you can use while hooked to a 30 amp supply.

When you say: "on 30 amp service and low" I assume you mean LOW fan speed. If that is what you are saying then don't run the fan speed on LOW ever....always use HIGH fan speed to avoid icing the evaporator coil. You can use LOW fan speed when using the heating (via heat pump) mode.

There should be no difference whether you are using the generator or shore power. If you are in fact experiencing a difference between operating on gen vs. shore power then I would look to your transfer switch.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Be specific about the recommendation in Austin - do you mean Rick Bott? There are several that are not getting good commentary in Austin... .
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The 110 wiring diagram in not on line. But if I remember right on our 94 Vector with a 30 amp service shore power is wired to the no 1 compressor and one leg of the generator is wired to the no 2 compressor. So on shore power only the no 1 will run and on the generator both the no 1 and no 2 will run.
Could be a problem with the no 1 compressor.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
The 110 wiring diagram in not on line. But if I remember right on our 94 Vector with a 30 amp service shore power is wired to the no 1 compressor and one leg of the generator is wired to the no 2 compressor. So on shore power only the no 1 will run and on the generator both the no 1 and no 2 will run.
Could be a problem with the no 1 compressor.
That makes sense........more sense now that I know your coach is only wired for 30 amps and not that the OP was just using a 30 amp supply.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

thanks everyone for your help. we found someone who is willing to take a look. he is a residential coleman dealer, so we have a shot. I think you may be right about the no 1 compressor having a problem, Grant. we will see. we are going to a service center to have the coach electrical system checked. probably going to put an air on top, just cause! looking at a Coleman HP2. any thoughts on this model?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

After 14 months of dealing with our problematic basement air, taking it to various "authorized" dealers and technicians, and factory service in Forest City (who just made the problem worse), we found an excellent technician who got the job done. We just left his shop yesterday.

It's DM Mobile RV Repair in Loveland, CO. We highly recommend!

It's a trek from Arkansas, but it might be worth it.

While we're on the subject, props to RVP through this ordeal. They stuck with us and made sure things worked out well in the end.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

On a 94 there should be a 30 amp switch above the microwave oven that you need to flip when on a 30 amp service. That is how it was in my 1995.

Any decent residential service tech should be able to take care of a basement air unit.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Yep, what Neil said.
If you are on shore power and have the switch above the MW set to 30, you will only get one. Set it to 50, if you have the hook up for it.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
Yep, what Neil said.
If you are on shore power and have the switch above the MW set to 30, you will only get one. Set it to 50, if you have the hook up for it.
I had a 1995 Vectra 35 RQ with the Jet Air suspension and I still prefer it to my current coach. The simplicity to just get in it and go with the only real setup being to open or close the awning. Lost it to a wheel fire while driving down the highway.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

thanks everyone, getting a local air tech out today. hope,hope! will update later. also, we are getting a Coleman Mach 15 installed next week sometime.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

.....waiting for your update.
Regards,
Paul
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

sorry, air tech says it is most likely compressor. it pulled 70 ohms when it tried to start compressor 1. RVP still has compressor. tech is researching( he's never worked on or seen one) now we just have to decide if it is worth it to sink a lot money into it as old as it is.( afraid of snowball affect) going to get cool soon, so we have some time.

there was a thread on gen shutting off during travel that I posted a question to that I hope someone can advise on. question was- does gen shut off/on during travel?
We are having Coleman Mach 15 installed in galley vent next week and were hoping to be able to use it during travel.

also, has anyone installed another roof ac not using an existing hole?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:51 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

The generator does not shut off/on on its own. You control the starting and stopping of the generator. With that said you can buy an auto start system that will start the generator if the coach is to hot or if the battery voltage gets to low.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote