Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Another 05 Adventurer with sagging slideout

Gang,

I've read most of the posts on this subject and didn't want to hijack a previous thread. My 05 Adventurer LT side wall slideout sags on the aft end, approx 1/2". Extends/retracts smoothly, no issues. The nylon slides are intact and without a reference, don't know if they're worn down or OK. Before I try anything, I thought I'd try the forum for some guidance.

This is aft, lower corner, retracted.

This is aft, upper corner, retracted and protruding out about 1/2". When the slideout is retracted, there is a gap in rubber weather sealing visible from inside coach.

This the aft rail and nylon slides extended.

Can the sag be fixed by adjusting the upper vertical screw post in last photo? Thanks!
G3G4G5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I am curious about the picture showing the top of the slideout not going all the way in. Have you tried standing on the floor of the slideout on the inside of the motorhome to see if that will tip the top of the slideout in?

That looks like a different adjustment is needed that simply raising up that end of the slideout.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to our world!!

I would be curious to get a look at the triangle nylons. They are the ones that are most critical. The pics are a welcome sight. Worth a thousand, well you know!!!
Old 09-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I am curious about the picture showing the top of the slideout not going all the way in. Have you tried standing on the floor of the slideout on the inside of the motorhome to see if that will tip the top of the slideout in?

That looks like a different adjustment is needed that simply raising up that end of the slideout.
Seems like it to me also. Figured I could try to adjust the vertical bolt approx 1/2" and see what it does, can always undo that fix.

Other than a big box sliding in and out, are there any rollers, overcenter tracks, etc that the top part of the slideout travels on? Obviously nothing on ceiling or walls....so all adjustments would need to be made to base of "box"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
Welcome to our world!!

I would be curious to get a look at the triangle nylons. They are the ones that are most critical. The pics are a welcome sight. Worth a thousand, well you know!!!
Will bump out slide tomorrow and get some better pics. However isn't most of the triangle nylon encased in a housing? Not sure if I can see them very well.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

https://youtu.be/o41dX04bj7Y

This is a link to Kevins video that shows most of what you are looking for. Your flat nylon in your pics looks to be in pretty good shape. My triangle pieces were destroyed. I will try to take some pics of new and old ones to show that.

Yes they are encased in holding blocks but from straight on you can get a pretty good idea of their condition.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Sorry for the poor focus but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010032.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	139970   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010033.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	139971  

Old 09-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Some pics of the triangle wedge nylons

The nylon slides look like they're in good shape......

Aft Lowers

Aft Uppers

Fwd Lowers

Fwd Uppers

Have seen Kevin's video before, looks like a tough job!

Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Certainly better than mine were. But pics # 3,4, and 7 show some cracking it would appear. I am not sure how that material ages but it seems to get brittle. My old ones were for sure.

Thanks for the great pics. I know they took some time and work on your part.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Suggestions????? If you are inclined to try doing any adjustments just go slow and in such a way you can undo if it doesn't help. Almost anything you move will have more that ONE effect. We are trying to move a square box in and out of a square hole here.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

"Can the sag be fixed by adjusting the upper vertical screw post in last photo? Thanks!

Chris, to answer your question....Yes. but you have to loosen the pair 7/16 inch bolts/nuts pictured a few inches to the right of the adjusting bolt. I'm not sure, but there may be 2 more on the left side too that you can't see in your photo. I would adj only a 1/4 in and then try it for a few trips with slide in and out to make sure you're not causing it to bind in some other area. Then maybe go for another 1/4 in to get the full 1/2 in your looking for.

My coach is one yr older and when it was new I could see it was sagging and had dealer adjust it under warranty. A year later it was sagging again. This time I looked for the problem and found the jam nuts on the adjust bolts were not tight. So I fixed it myself and had no problem for a long time. Then over recent years it was slowly sagging again. This time I noticed that the bottom of the slide is warped and bending up where the slide is supported. The long metal support the runs the full length of the bottom of the slide is bent over a 3-4 foot area. I did one more adjustment and have it pretty close to alignment, but there is no more adjustment left. I don't know how that can be straighten out.....maybe a auto body shop that can straighten out bent frames could possible get it back in alignment???
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I agree with jerboy three of the pics show a crack, they look just as mine did prior to my trip to HWH 3 wks ago. When they replaced them they pretty much just fell apart after they where removed,I think what was holding them together was the tight confines of the slide. After they replaced them my paint line still did not line up completely so they adjusted they out side of the slide by holding a special kind of wench that allowed an Allen wench through the center of it. I will take a pic of where they mad the adjustments at when I get off work this afternoon. That being said I'm thinking if you try to adjust the slide with out replacing those cracked guides it might work for awhile but it is gonna put more stress on them making them fail sooner So IMHO need to fix the first problem before moving on to the second Good luck & I will get those pics on tonight for ya !Silas
para566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Duner,

" The long metal support that runs the full length of the bottom of the slide is bent over a 3-4 foot area"

I have that same bend in the metal. Is this what they are trying to help or possibly prevent with the "slide kit" some have had installed? I have yet to see a pic of this kit or a good description of it. I love pictures. Words don't get in the way.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I wonder if it would help to place supports under this slide every time we run it out? Would the weight of it actually bend the warp back up as it just sits there on the supports? I realize it would hardly be worth it to do just for an overnight stay. But for longer stays----???
Old 10-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Update......

I extended the slide and loosened the 2 horizontal 7/16 bolts and then tried the vertical adjust bolt located above the extended rail. See pic below. I cranked it up approx 1/4", tightened everything up, and retracted slide, no changes at all. I extended slide and returned all three bolts to original position. On to the next solution.....new triangle nylon slides?

Chris

Old 10-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I chose to replace nylon BEFORE any adjustments and was able to do quite a bit of good. I have not adjusted as I still have some nylon to go yet. Adjusting for bad nylon will be short lived.

Tags
slide, slideout, vent