Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Annoying squeak coming from overhead TV

I have an '06 Meridian and when driving, I get this constant annoying squeak that comes from the Overhead TV. I have tried adjusting the mounting and have put cardboard shims between the TV and the mounting base, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions...?
Old 08-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I stopped my squeak by replacing the TV: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

On my '99 Winnie, I pulled the tv out and took the front/rear covers apart and install little felt pads in the four corners where the picture tube was rubbing against the front fascia. They were 1/4 in dia with sticky on one side. Probably installed more felt pads on back side too. That was a ton of years ago, and my memory has faded some.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

That is actually the biggest issue we have found so far with our 16 Meridian...I haven't tackled the issue yet, but was going to try to shim it a bit as you suggested...thought I might try a small piece of towel...

2016 Itasca Meridian 36M, 2009 Jeep Wrangler tow...
TurnTwoNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Try cutting a silicone hot pad up in small pieces for "anti-squeak shims". The silicone will not degrade like a cardboard shim.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

May not be the TV.

Could be the steel frame rubbing on the screws that attach the frame to the ceiling have become loose. On my Sightseer 2004 there are 4 screws that are screwed through the frame and into the ceiling (supposed to be 6 but one was never installed and another broke the head off). 2 (3) screws on each side above the TV. Over time these become loose and flexing of the framework (because of the weight of the TV on vertical bumps) causes the steel to rub on one of the screws and make a metal-on-metal screech on rough roads.

Eliminate by eliminating the TV as already suggested, or see if you can tighten the screws or open the holes up. You would need a 90 degree screwdriver and patience.

Screws only go into ceiling wood and foam, so they may not be able to be tightened (Like mine). Maybe just rotating the will quiet it. This worked for me, but still screeches on really big bumps.

Wayne

sightseer 30B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I found it...! I was able to find the squeak by pushing and moving the TV while the coach was parked. It was actually in the steel framework that holds the TV in place. I solved the problem by taking two wine corks (which are plentiful in my motorhome) and forcing them between the TV and the wood cabinet about 3/4 of the way up. Problem solved! No more squeaks, unless I hit something really hard in the roadway. It's nice to have the coach quiet again. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Steve