Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Annoying squeak

Ok gang give me some ideas. I've got a squeak coming from the area just behind the drivers seat about head high in my '12 Tour QD. It sounds like two pieces of plastic rubbing or clicking together. It happens while driving on a relatively rough road. I've looked, listened and touched everything I can reach trying to locate the source. It seems to be coming from the area where the slide meets the wall/frame. The cabinets seem to be secure. The windows, trim and window blinds are not the source. I've come to expect squeaks and rattles but this one is getting under my skin. I probably need to lube the slide seals but this doesn't sound like rubber squeaking. More of a clicking sound. I know I'm grasping at straws but I hope someone's got some ideas.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had the same type of squeaking that you're describing on our last coach (2013 Journey). It was difficult to determine the exact location because 1) it wasn't constant, only when induced by road conditions. 2) at times is sounded like the slide above me as you describe, and other times it sounded like at the window area.

In the end, I finally identified it as coming from the drivers side window blind. It was coming from where the blind fits into the steel mounting brackets. I was going to remove them and apply a lube of some type but before I got to it, we sold the coach

Anyway, just an example of my annoying squeak source

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have yet to ever ride in any motorhome and not hear some forms of squeaks or noises.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We get a squeak now and then on the passenger side. From trial and error we think it is the slide out seal. When it is really bad we pull over and run the slide out and back in and usually the squeak stops. A good slideout conditioner applied to the rubber seal can help too. There is ALWAYS some kind of noise though.... it's different every time. Sometimes there is none.
SKP, WIT, FMCA, FCOC, GoodSam, Cummins Power Club
lajuene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Same experience re: passenger side slide out ... cleaned the slide gaskets (there's likely two) thoroughly with baby shampoo and vinegar, then a lube with 303, then ran the slide in and out 3 times while ensuring to hold the switch constantly throughout the cycle and a few seconds beyond at finish of retract and extend ... now quiet for 6 months (and time to do the cleaning and lube again) ...
Old 09-06-2016, 05:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I finally found the squeak on my 04 Adventurer door, I placed a thin layer of tape around the door striker and problem solved!!! I wonder if originally there was some kind of cover plastic around the striker?
wdweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have a set of "creaks and groans" coming out of the drivers side slide (whole wall). We are pretty sure it is the slide. We can roll out the slide and roll it back in and it is better for a while.

It got a lot better with the last set of Schwintek replacements (grrrr) but is still very annoying.

We have inferred that this does not happen with the power-gear replacement and we think the next time we get near Winnebago, we are going to get the whole wall schwinteks replaced.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

A Winnebago customer service tech told me to put corn starch on the seal. That worked. Other folks have said talcum powder also works.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
YC1
Winnebago Owner

Try silicon spray along any slide tracks outside when they are out. I chased a terrible noise thinking it was one of the slide rollers but it was the metal track.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote