Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2005, 03:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Just curious, when I press the up/down arrows on my shifter pad to check the fluid level, I get 0L - 70. According to the manual, this code says the trans sump temp is too low for a reading. This was after an hour of running at both city and highway speeds...mostly highway. I was not pulling the toad and had an otherwise light load. I checked the dipstick and all is OK but was curious about the code.

Anyone else have this problem?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Just curious, when I press the up/down arrows on my shifter pad to check the fluid level, I get 0L - 70. According to the manual, this code says the trans sump temp is too low for a reading. This was after an hour of running at both city and highway speeds...mostly highway. I was not pulling the toad and had an otherwise light load. I checked the dipstick and all is OK but was curious about the code.

Anyone else have this problem?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've had the same indication on my coach. It needs to be above 140F to take an accurate reading. Although an inconvenience, I wouldn't call it a problem because it just means your coach is running cool. Probably the biggest killer of transmissions is heat. The Allison 3000 trannie is a great unit and with minimal TLC it will easily out live us. Isn't that trannie dip stick a trip. IMHO

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have also had the same experience. I have a transmission temp readout and rarely do I get above 140 degrees. When at an Allison dealer, they stalled out the transmission to raise the temp to check the fluid level. Stalling out is putting the transmission in drive, foot on brake, and increase RPM to 1000-1500 until the temp comes up. Sounds strange, so check with your Allison dealer. I was also told that the only real accurate way to check fluid level is with the OLS (oil level sensor).
Old 03-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Flyer,

Interesting way to raise the fluid temp but think i'll pass. Wonder if that technician would use that method if it was his transmission. Me thinks not. If I was really desperate to check it, I would be inclined to drive around in second gear until the temp came up. Do remember to let it settle down for a few minutes before doing the fluid test.In any case, I do agree that the best way to check the temp is with the OLS.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you are concerned about the fluid level and cannot get a reading from the sensor use the dipstick and check the bottom of the transmission casing. If there is no fluid showing and you don't see any fluid spots under the transmission the morning after parking your unit I wouldn't worry about it. I usually check my fluid level after a full day's driving or when I stop for fuel. It is tough to get to 140 deg in the winter time even in Florida.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:21 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Of course, TranSynd is supposed to run even cooler than Dexron. We have Dexron and found it very difficult to check the fluid level without getting a message saying temp not high enough. I can imagine it is even more difficult with TranSynd. Makes me wonder about the need for TranSynd. I'll likely switch when we have our first annual maintenance at Gaffney next month only because of the much longer change interval.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Same problem here. Even had Allison check out the gauge and sensor months ago and they also stalled the tranmission while hooked up to one of their meters to get it to heat up past 150. Said it was fine and great that it ran so cold.

Even when towing my 4500 lb toad it still does not get above 140 if the outside temperature is below 85. When the outside temperature is 85-100 then it will reach about 150-155 so I can check the fluid level at the touch pad.

Someone suggested on another forum to use Transynd, mine has Dexron, to make the trans. temp. run cooler? If it ran any cooler I'd have to install a transmission heater.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote