Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Alcoa Dura-BrightŪ Wheels.
More shine. Less maintenance.
It's the first aluminum wheel you don't polish or scrub - just spray with soap and water. It's NOT a coating. It's NOT a finish. It's a patented treatment that penetrates the aluminum. Alcoa Dura-BrightŪ wheels are the closest to a maintenance-free shine you'll ever see.

Now your wheels can look their best on the lot with far less effort than with any previous steel or aluminum wheel. And Dura-BrightŪ wheels maintain their good looks over time, saving you time and money, too.

Dura-BrightŪ wheel treatment:

Ten year warranty against corrosion
Protects wheels against oxidation and corrosion
Easy maintenance
Brilliant good looks
One-piece, forged-in strength
Extended tire and brake life
The widest selection
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

If you get to the southwest many of the truckstops have fellows that will polish your wheels for 10 to 15 dollars a wheel and they will be perfect. They will polish them while they are on the coach and it only takes about an hour. The closer you get to the border the easier they are to find!

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Jeff,

There was a thread last summer in (I think) the Freightliner Chassis forum about wheel polishing and wether or not wheels were coated. I mentioned that per a Tech at Accuride, the way to tell is to look on a rear wheel for a 5 digit serial or model number with either the letters AIP or AIPC. If it says AIPC, the wheels are coated, if AIP they are not. This only applies to Accuride wheels, not Alcoa.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
Maybe someone that remembers the thread can chime in here (or recall the thread). But last time this was brought up someone made a comment of a stamped designation on the wheel indicating if it was or wasn't a coated wheel. I thought mine were Durabrites as well, but not according to the stamp on my rims. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Yep, that's the one, thanks. Gonna be polishing mine this weekend...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:36 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I also followed Mark Cruzers advice, and the polishes work great, and my wheels were beat up from a previous owner. I am looking foward to spending some real time on them to get them like new again.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Each of my wheels have a sticker that says "ALCOA Dura-Bright Surface treatment". A good scrubbing with soap and water keeps em looking good.

Glenn
Old 11-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

alcoa wheels. the serial # will end in DB if they are dura-brite. sadly mine are not.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:34 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

after you have shinny with the mother stuff apply the alcoa luster,you can buy it at the camping world,its fantastic,very shinny and durable,easy to install just spray
serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Good, good info here. Have been looking for somthing like this for a while. Our MH can from the factory with a special extra coating on the wheels. CDI oversprayed clearcoat everywhere; we have it on the wheels, the mirrors (chrome side and viewing side both). They missed some spots on the paint though.

I have removed most of the clearcoat from the wheels by hand rubbing with aluming cleaner/polish. Is there anything else in particular I need to do to clean up this mess? I have used a bit of polishing compound of the mirrors, but that may be too abrasive.

Don't know if I should use a product like Mother's Clay Bar after all this time or not.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote