Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air Suspension Leaks Down

I recently purchased a 2007 Vectra TD, or first coach. I notice that we we stop and turn off the engine the suspension slowly leaks down. Is this normal?

Another question. If I run the inverter as we drive in depletes the house batteries commonly down to 11.5 volts after a couple of hours running the refrigerator. I would have thought that the engine charger would keep up with this draw. Is this normal?
joezeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Normal for both issues. I recommend that you DO NOT run the refrig on inverter. Put it on propane. You've figured out why. Good luck with the coach

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Whats the timeline on the leakdown of your suspension. SLOWLY as in a few days normal or SLOWLY as in a few hours, not normal.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Joe,
I have talked to five owners that found a leak in the gauge on the dash. Put your hand around the back of the air gauge to determine if you feel any air coming out the back of the gauge. They all had to replace the gauge which is simple but I think is around $400.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The leak down of the suspension is quick - perhaps a half an hour. You can hear air leaking, perhaps behind the dash. So, perhaps it is the air gauge. I'll check.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Sounds like you are on the trail of the air leak.
Quote:
If I run the inverter as we drive in depletes the house batteries commonly down to 11.5 volts after a couple of hours running the refrigerator. I would have thought that the engine charger would keep up with this draw.
It depends ...I presume your Journey has the large 4-door Norcold 1200 series refrigerator. It does take a good bit of power. I can run mine on inverter while driving, but need to be aware to shut it down or switch to LP if we stop anywhere for more than a few minutes. My MH is set up to charge ALL batteries whether on engine, generator, or shore power.

The primary question I cannot answer is, does your engine alternator charge the house batteries in addition to the chassis batteries? If it doesn't, there is your cause. If it does, the problem may be that the batteries are in poor condition. If they are somewhat sulphated, they won't take/hold a charge well and will go down quickly. Do the batteries work well in other situations? If your charger/inverter has an equalize function, and the batteries are not too far gone, that can give the batteries new life. The first time I equalized mine they were 2+ years old and not doing well at all. Equalizing made a huge difference in their performance. I normally equalize my batteries a couple of times a year (I am a fulltimer ...if I were part time I would probably do it only once a year).
Old 11-29-2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
Joe,
I have talked to five owners that found a leak in the gauge on the dash. Put your hand around the back of the air gauge to determine if you feel any air coming out the back of the gauge. They all had to replace the gauge which is simple but I think is around $400.
You are right! It is leaking behind the air gauge on the dash. Who does one see to fix this? Is it covered under the Freight Liner warranty? Can I order a new gauge somewhere and replace it myself?

Thank you in advance.

joe
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Joe,
I had a leaking gauge. after about an hour or so the air would be depleted. Freightliner knows that there is a problem with the gauges. They fixed mine under warranty. It only takes a few minutes from what I understand.

First, check to see if the leak is coming from the hoses. There will be two different colored hoses going to the gauge. If it is just a crack in the hose you will just need to snip off the end an inch and put it back on the gauge.

Call Freightliner in Gaffneyl SC. You can also look up the nearest dealer to you on-line at the Freightliner web site.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Joe,
Like Wayne said give Freightliner a call. Yes, it is covered under the warranty but I would think your three years have expired? You can call Gaffney Service at 864-206-8683. Ask for Pat. Spend $10 and join the Freightliner Users Group and save 10%.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote