Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
TEO
Winnebago Camper

Gary sent me the directions to make a repair of the computer and I figured nothing ventured nothing gained. All in all it took a little over an hour to remove the computer, take it apart, solder the proper connections and replace the computer. It seems to work.

I ran the engine for awhile and let the pressure build up, then pressed the brake enough times to lower the pressure and energize the alarm. Then I let it build up again.

Of course I won't know if the fix is real until I take the Journey on the road again.

I now have the directions, so if anyone needs to see it, send me a message.

Paul

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #22
TEO
Winnebago Camper

Since the repair on the VDC, I've run the engine several times and I took the Journey out for a ride, subjecting it to some road vibration. The repair still works. Getting the computer out and prying off the back was no problem. I used a marine sealer to put the back of the case on.

The solder points are very small, I mean VERY small and you will nees a pencil point soldering tool and some electronics grade solder (Radio Shack).

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

UPDATE. Repairs made to the VDC and it seems to have fixed the problem. As TEO noted, it was fairly easy to remove the VDC, pry the back off, and get to the 8 cold solder joints. I used a 25Watt soldering pencil and carefully re-soldered all the contacts.

Took the rig for a 15 mile jaunt and all seems well.

Just another verification of the value of this forum and others like it. Thanks to Bob (RLS) for putting us on to the article detailing this repair. One hour of work and saved $418....not bad at all.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 02 Horizon (36LD)and been having the same problems with the front air gauge for about 6 months. On the drive from ND to AZ in November, my fuel guage and tach started acting up. Sometimes everything will work great for a day or two and sometimes it will act up after 5 minutes. Could someome point me to that article?
HRSCHBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HRSCHBN:
I have a 02 Horizon (36LD)and been having the same problems with the front air gauge for about 6 months. On the drive from ND to AZ in November, my fuel guage and tach started acting up. Sometimes everything will work great for a day or two and sometimes it will act up after 5 minutes. Could someome point me to that article? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the forum. You will find lot's of helpful folks and info. here....this case being a prime example. When I called Freightliner about my erratic air gauge, they simply said the VDC needed to be replaced ($418!) This forum provided the info for a relatively simple fix.

If you will send me a Private Message with your email address, I will forward a copy of the article.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I would like to revive this thread for a moment. My 02 Horizon takes spells of the rear air pressure gage, the voltmeter, and occasionally the front air pressure gage locking at mid range, not moving at all, or even working correctly. I also get check engine lights every once in a while for no reason I can discover. Simply turning the engine off and restarting usually clears the check engine light.

Does this sound like VDC problems, a loose ground or ????

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #27
KIX
Winnebago Master

Roadking52, The gauge problems you are experiencing sounds exactly like a VDC issue. Perhaps resoldering the cold solder joints detailed in the article mentioned above would fix your problem with the gauges. Not sure if the check engine light is the VDC or another problem. I would fix or replace the VDC first.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

can you please email me the repair article i have also same issue
yossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossi View Post
can you please email me the repair article i have also same issue

Welcome to the forum. If you send me a PM with your email address, I will forward the article.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

The replacement VDC from Freightliner is of a design that supercedes the original (year 2002 in my case). Has anyone purchased and installed it? If so, has it been trouble free? For how long?

2002 Horizon 2008 Canyon
Travlin Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #31
Winnebago Owner

I want to send my email to smlranger so that I can get a copy of the article, but I (being stupid) don't know how to send him a message. Can anyone help me?

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

To send a e mail to smiranger point and click on his name. He sent me the instructions for repair of the VDC and after repairing it I've no problems.

Charlie Tuit
2002 Journey
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply. I sent him a PM last night and am waiting for the answer.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyko View Post
Thanks for the reply. I sent him a PM last night and am waiting for the answer.

Article has been sent to your email address.

Glad to help.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #35
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Article has been sent to your email address.

Glad to help.

I would like a copy of the article also.

Perhaps you could post a link.

Thanks in advance.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote