Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

air in diesel fuel line

i had my crew service oil filter, oil and alliance fuel filter. problem--they did fill the fuel filter with diesel and caused air in the fuel line. itasca meridian 39k 2006, cat 350hp. the coach will not start---can i fix this without going in the bedroom and go in on top of the engine and bleed the injector line until the air is gone? any help would be great.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You might want to ask this question on the Cat section of this forum. Caterpillar Engine Forum - iRV2 Forums
I'll also be interested in the answers. I don't know who "you crew" is but I'd suggest you not use them again.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

By 2006, I would think cat would of had a lift pump to self prime the engine?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Do you have an air purge pump (electric or manual) at the primary or secondary fuel filter? If I use my purge pump to fill the primary filter and make sure the secondary is full of fuel when it is screwed in the engine will start without issue. If you've purged the air and still can't get it to start you might have other issues. IMHO if you paid someone to change the filters they should be responsible for getting you started.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Been there done that. I added a small amount of air pressure to the full tank and keep cracking fittings until I had fuel up to the fuel pump on the engine.
Had to go to the bedroom to get to the top of the engine.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
You might want to ask this question on the Cat section of this forum. Caterpillar Engine Forum - iRV2 Forums
I'll also be interested in the answers. I don't know who "you crew" is but I'd suggest you not use them again.
my crew works for me. we all just over looked filling the alliance fuel filter. i will use them again since now he knows never to do that he. he had the whereforall to fill the oilfilter before installing it.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Had an issue with my water separator with the same results. I have lots of cat engines, and I think this one is the worst to get the air purged from. For sure the one with the worst access. I ended up installing a cat manual pump bleeder, because for some reason it didn't come with it. No matter what, your going to have to get under the bed, Good Luck
Old 06-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

air in diesel fuel line

thank you everyone for the replies. we got it going. had to take the access plate off the closet floor to get to the top of the engine. opened fuel line and bled air. cranked and after a few tries it started. advice--only crank about 10-15 seconds at a time so as to save starter and related parts from getting hot.

Tags
diesel, fuel