Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

It's an 05 Journey. They worked when new but now nothing. I'm sure someone has had a similiar issue. What should I be looking for?
Mike
Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It's an 05 Journey. They worked when new but now nothing. I'm sure someone has had a similiar issue. What should I be looking for?
Mike
Old 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The air horns I am familiar with have airline that goes to a 12v relay/air pressure switch that then goes via the same airline which is fed from the air storage tank. The switch on the wheel activates the 12 volt relay releasing the air through the trumpets. Troubleshoot from the easiest side first, check for voltage at the fuse box for the wheel switch, then check the air supply fittings to the relay/air switch then the fittings to the trumpet. Be careful up top... and good luck.
Aux_man - Out.
aux_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have 2004 Meridian that the air horns quit working within the first year while still under warranty. The Winnebago shop said they replaced the solenoid but I don't know what it looks like or exactly where it is. Wish I had insisted they show me but was so aggraveted at them after waiting 3 weeks for 4.5 hrs labor to be done (several small things were supposedly fixed at the same time) I was just glad to get away from them.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

My air horns quit on my new coach. Had the air solenoid changed 3X to get it working (once they shipped the wrong part).

The solenoid is behind the front access panel under the windshield. Easy to identify. Mine's right behind the air pressure dial where the aux air line is for pumping up your tires. Has an air line running from the air system distribution block, and a pair of 12V wires running to the bottom of the solenoid valve.

You can check if you have 12V at the solenoid by having someone press the horn switch (with the air horn switch on) and use a 12V tester or voltmeter to verify you have power.

Not sure how to test if you have air there -- but I think you need to bleed off the air before you release the line to the solenoid.

My bet is it's a bad solenoid.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You don't have to bleed off the air just to check. You can push down on the air line coming out of the top of the solenoid and then hold down on the collar and pull the air line out. If you try blowing the air horn and get air through the solenoid, then your problem is probably with the horns themselves.

2004 Meridian 34H
Fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for the info. Will check out the solenoid this weekend.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have also had continued air horn problems since delivery. The information posted here is all correct. Mine was "fixed" at the dealer, then again "fixed" at the factory, but each fix lasted only a short time. The factory fix failed again the same day. My new local dealer did the last fix. I asked him what was the problem. He said the preasure was high at the solinoid which would sometimes cause it to stick. Sometimes dumping all air or working the brakes to reduce preasure would help. He advised dumping all air from valve, (hook your air hose to the fitting for tire inflation) & opening the valve. When gauge is 0 psi press down on the connector sleeve at to of valve (small air line) then pull the line out. Put a couple of drops of "air tool oil" in the valve then work it by honking the horn. Re attach the line & you are good to go. I have had to do this a number of times, a real PITA. The last time I had a problem I took the valve clear out to test, jumped 12v from batt to opperate. I also tested the HORN by using the onboard air system to shoot air up that small air line, works good. While the valve was out, I recordes the p/n's , it is made by HADLEY same as the horns. unfortunatly I lost that info. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I just had mine fixed...by the local dealer. He said a wire had come loose...they work now! Only cost me $90!!!!

But at least the next car that cuts in front of me will KNOW I am directly behind them!

Full-Timer
craigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
KIX
Winnebago Master

If the solenoid is the same as the step cover solenoids you can remove the coil and clean the "rod" that goes thru the coil. The ones on the step cover seem to get corroded occassionally and cleaning them fixes the problem.