Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Air horn stopped working?

Hi All,

Need help in getting my be-loved air horn working again. Does anyone have a check list of where to start and follow up to fix this puppy?

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

What coach?
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

When mine quit working suddenly, it was a bad air horn solenoid. It is located behind the genset access door on the driver side firewall on most Winnebago DP's (or in that general area).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Gary is correct about the solenoid being the likely problem.
I previously owned a 2003 Chieftain with Hadley air horns and I had the same problem. I contacted Hadley and was able at that time to download instructions on cleaning the solenoid valve. Twice in the 5 years I owned the coach I had to clean the valve. Mine was simple to take apart. I never had to replace it but that certainly would likely solve the problem. I found corrosion from moisture causing the valve to stick. Contact Hadley HERE I looked at their website this morning and did not find a link to their instructions for cleaning their valve. May be they prefer to sell new valves rather than cleaning them. It sure will not hurt to ask

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

When my airhorn stopped working it was a blown fuse. Easy fix.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ernieh,

2001 Journey GD

Pine Tree
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

air horn

Just fixed mine yesterday.
First dump all air.
In my 2001 Monaco the air valve is in the front left compartment (under drivers seat) It has a blue and a black air line and a white and purple wire.
First use a test light to confirm the switch is suppling power to the valve.
If this is working, remove the valve, and disassemble it. Use an ohm meter to test the coil. You should have continuity through the coil.
I had to remove the top part (about 1/2") of the solenoid stem, and the bottom port on the valve. There is plunger with a rubber seal on the bottom. This was stuck. Using a small allen wrench, a socket extension,WD40, and a hammer, gently tap the plunger back and forth until it comes out. Clean it up with fine sandpaper. Cut a piece of a sticky back sanding disc and wrap it around a 1/4" dowel rod to clean out the bore. Reassemble. It should work.
Before reattaching the air lines use a blow gun to confirm that the horn itself works.
larrysedl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Old Hadley Manual

I found this manual in my files. I have a 2002 Journey and used it for a repair on my unit. I'm new to this forum so not sure of what is and isn't OK to upload. I hope this is OK and helps.

Mann
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hadley Solenoid Maintenance Procedures.pdf (233.7 KB, 804 views)
Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mann View Post
I found this manual in my files. I have a 2002 Journey and used it for a repair on my unit. I'm new to this forum so not sure of what is and isn't OK to upload. I hope this is OK and helps.

Mann
That is the one I have in my file as well. I have cleaned mine twice and it always worked afterward. Thanks for posting it. It should be helpful for someone with a problem.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote