Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all;

Has anyone changed their own air filter on a freightliner, (Cummins). Is it a tough job? Are there any special tools needed for the clamps? Anything to watch out for. I located ours, but there is not alot of room to work, (suprise suprise). It looks like I would have an easier time if I raise the bed and access the filter from the bedroom hatch. Any experience and advise is welcome. Thanks.........Steve

98' Vectra Grand Tour 35 WQ
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi all;

Has anyone changed their own air filter on a freightliner, (Cummins). Is it a tough job? Are there any special tools needed for the clamps? Anything to watch out for. I located ours, but there is not alot of room to work, (suprise suprise). It looks like I would have an easier time if I raise the bed and access the filter from the bedroom hatch. Any experience and advise is welcome. Thanks.........Steve

Old 09-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Steve:

Not sure how your's is configured...on mine the filter is on the road side just above the muffler. I was able to remove the clamps from below (be prepared to get a lot of grime in your face ) but was not able to remove the filter from the bottom due to muffler. I raised the bed and it came up through there easily. I reversed procedure to install new filter.

My clamps had some rust on the screws (stainless clamps but screws were not SS)so I used some P Blaster to loosen them up). I did get new stainless clamps from local truck parts place.

I'm sure you will hear from others with your configuration.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Steve,
Your timing is perfect as I just did mine three days ago for the first time owning this coach. I have a 99 Winny Adventurer 275 Cummins. Not sure if your filter is the same but I would suspect they might be. Here is what I learned:
1. Took two people and 3 hrs. You could do this with one person but it will be very difficult
2. One person on top (under bed, and one below by the muffler)
3. Buy extra clamps before you start. You will need them most likely. Don't scrimp use all stainless and replace with same kind
4. Spray clamps with WD or similar the night before. You will thank yourself for this
5. Mine came out the bottom right behind the muffler. No way to get it out top as the rear sheet metal behind rear drivers tire blocks taking it out from top
6. You will first need to lossen the metal brackets that hold the filter TO THE FRAME. These are the ones that are 7/16 I believe (4 of them).
7. Next, loosen the hose clamps.
8. Carefully take a straight edge screw driver and go around the two parts of the filter that slide into the permanent sections on each end of the filter. These are a hard rubber so you don't want to damage them. This helps for the next step.
9. Carefully start turning the filter so you can detach it for removal.
10. You will find it will come out with the steel brackets still attached.
NOTE: My new filter did not come with the rubber part on the one end. I removed the rubber part from the old filter and attached it to the new one. When you install the new one be sure both ends (particularly the end closest to the engine is seated all the way against the filter so as not to allow any contaminates to by pass the filter. You will need to install the steel brackets around the filter before you install it. If you have any questions feel free to email me.
Be ready for a lot of dirt, cursing and have a few beers along the way as it will really take the edge off of the job.
Good luck
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guy's for the responses. I'll have to look at the set up this week and see if this is something I want to take a shot at, or if I'll just let the shop do it. I hate to waste money on something that I can do. I store the coach in a storage facility, and am limited as to some repairs that I can do. Has anybody had this done at a shop, and if so what was the approx cost? Thanks.........Steve

Old 09-06-2006, 05:35 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Steve: I changed mine out by myself. It took me two hours, the shop rate is about $100 per hour. I don't make $100 an hour at work so it worked for me. There is nothing to mess up except for your knuckles. I like the suggestion of spraying clamps down with WD40, wish I had done that. Give it a go, protect your eyes and...good luck.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Gary: Have a question for you, did you take the filter out from the top or bottom? I'm thinking about tackling mine. What was your procedure? Any new four letter words ?

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Bill: I replaced the air filter from underneath the coach. The suggestion to spray WD40 on the clamps is a good idea. Additional thought is to hose the area the day before to wash the loose dirt away. It took me about two hours removing clamps and prying the hose off the ends of the filter, no set procedure. The only four letter word was BEER........I would change it myself again. You and Steve can drive on by and I'll help out. Good luck
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Roger, copy Gary. Let's see;
underneath, WD40, Beer! Got it! Be right over.
Thanks Gary, will give it a try this fall.

Thanks again,
Bill j

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I know it can be done from underneath...just had the Freightliner Oasis Center do mine, and I know they did not go into the bedroom. They added $100 (including the filter) to my $250 oil change and service.

If it takes 2-3 hours I'll just let them do it.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:01 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hey Gary,

I'll look you up when I am due!! I'm still out on the long vc, and I just turned over 7K on the odometer. I don't need it yet, but it's coming.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #12
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Virginia Freightliner, Richmond -$285 labor, $114 parts=an expensive Sunday