Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air filter

Can any one tell me the number for the air filter on 2010 tour bd it's Winnebago tour on freightliner chassis cummins 400 isl
Elevater man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Question More Info Needed

You need to tell us what manufacture, what chassis and then maybe can help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevater man View Post
Can any one tell me the number for the air filter on 2010 tour bd

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You are on a Freightliner. Correct? Call Gaffney, SC parts department Monday and get the Farr part number. The last 6 of your VIN is all they need. Then go to K&N K&N Air Filter Cross Reference Search - Oil Filter Cross Reference
and put in what you were given. Then check the K&N part number at JEGS Performance Auto Parts - Holley - Billet Specialties - Edelbrock - MSD - Moroso - Mr Gasket

Farr, I was told by the parts department, says that their filters are only good for two years. The glue they are made with breaks down after that and the filter can come apart and get sucked into your turbo. I bet that makes you feel warm and fuzzy! K&N is a washable filter and they have a great reputation. Besides, the maintenance schedule for the air filter is every year or 15,000 miles. So, what is the vacuum indicator for?

I hope I have been of some help.

Rick
Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You void you warranty as far as Cummins is concerned if you use a K&N filter and the engine gets "dusted".
Someone posted a link to a test of filters, the K&N was about the lowest rated one as far as stopping dust. If you plan to rebuild your engine often (like I did with my racing motorcycles) then fine, go ahead and use one. If you're like I am I plan to keep my Cummins running and not in the shop.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would not ever use a K&N filter as they test at the bottom of ever lab test I
have seen.
Cummins will void your warranty if you use one on their engines.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the warnings. I saw the results on another thread and I am rethinking K&N. It seems to have a reputation based upon advertizing and tradition, like Amsoil. AC Delco seems to be the winner. But I don't find a commercial grade air filter listed for them. I am truly rethinking this whole subject. I drove my past two DP's in total ignorance and replaced the air filters, with great confidence, when the vacuum gage was indicating that the filter was getting full. Did the scheduling clerk at Gaffney have her facts straight? My indicator is telling me that the air filter is working just fine. Why fix it if it ain't broke? She is the one that said the filter comes unglued as I recall. And that got me on this rock road!

In my Maintenance schedule it indicates, starting at 6K or 6 months through 60K or 48 months, inspect and replace the air filter. I just now went to the MOP, section 09-01 in my book. What it tells me is totally and completely the opposite of what the clerk told me. "Reinstall" should replace "Replace". The procedure calls for "Remove and visually inspect the air cleaner element for..." Then, later in the same MOP it states "Replace the air cleaner at the recommended interval..." which is every 24 months. Wow! I'm so confused!. Why inspect it if your going to throw it out? Yet, this is what the MOP says to do according to the 00-** schedule.

So, around we go again. Replace or not in 24 months even if it is in great shape by inspection?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Rick,
See if I can clear up some of the muddy waters.
What they are saying is inspect the filter when servicing for any problems that might
be happening and at 24 months replace it.
They also say to check the filter gauge and to change the filter if the gauge is at
or above a set value.
Now what does this all mean?
What they are doing is checking the filter and all connections for any sign of trouble
and in the course of this you dump the dirt in the housing.
This does not mean to clean the filter and reuse that is a no no.
They do not know what conditions the filter has be operating in so this is a general
requirement that insures few problems.
Almost all DP filter installs are with a filter that is rated for low or mid dust operation
however a lot of them have the outside intake low to the ground and behind the rear
wheels which is not what I would call a low or mid dust place.
When one looks at the cost involved if you dust a diesel with the cost of keeping the
filter changed the filter change is cheap.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Rick,
See if I can clear up some of the muddy waters.
What they are saying is inspect the filter when servicing for any problems that might
be happening and at 24 months replace it.
They also say to check the filter gauge and to change the filter if the gauge is at
or above a set value.
Now what does this all mean?
What they are doing is checking the filter and all connections for any sign of trouble
and in the course of this you dump the dirt in the housing.
This does not mean to clean the filter and reuse that is a no no.
They do not know what conditions the filter has be operating in so this is a general
requirement that insures few problems.
Almost all DP filter installs are with a filter that is rated for low or mid dust operation
however a lot of them have the outside intake low to the ground and behind the rear
wheels which is not what I would call a low or mid dust place.
When one looks at the cost involved if you dust a diesel with the cost of keeping the
filter changed the filter change is cheap.
Here is my problem. Why build a filter with glue that will fail after 24 months?

If the gage says the filter is still good why disturb it at all? On another thread on coach owner DID have the filter come apart and it voided his warranty. I have asked him if the filter had been serviced within 24 months. I am waiting for the reply.

I know the manufactures don't want their products to last for a long time, but designed to failure seems like we are being forced to do maintenance for their survival. They are not working for me (us). We are working for them. Protecting my engine is not their ultimate goal. Making money is. And we have no good choice but to go along with this.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Rick,
They work to improve the construction of the filters all the time and they are much
better today than years ago.
Over time they have came up with a time limit where the risk factor increases
that they do not want to be responsible for.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Is this Glue fail 24 months from manufacture? or install ?
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The shelf life if correctly stored is 5 years normally, in that time if it is put
into service they want it replaced in 2 years.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Yes. Two years because the glue breaks down when in service. This is my gripe! The glue should never fail!!! The filter may come apart for other environmental reasons outside of the norm, but to use glue that WILL fail in two years of use? With all of the silicone based compounds in use in filters why do DP get the horse glue treatment?

I have no problem replacing my filter. I do have a problem being told by the maker that it WILL fail me, like a time release failure, in two years of service. The failure factor seems to be built in. The filter materials have improved greatly over the years, true. But what of the stuff that holds them together?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Guys I asked about part numbers not glue stick to the subject
Elevater man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevater man View Post
Guys I asked about part numbers not glue stick to the subject
Your chassis manufacturer will gladly give you the part #.

I started this thread Freightliner 24 month air filter??? after Freightliner told me the road life of the filter was 2 years because of the glue failing.

Sorry for carrying my gripe to this thread.

Hope I have given you some useful information to finding your filter #.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Her is an update for you. I have contacted Parker/Racor about the construction and end life of their air filters, specifically the ECO-BC series that fit most of our DP's.

And I quote: Two years is about average, though most last longer than that, the only
thing that should happen if you do not replace your filter is you will lose
power due to the restricted filter.

I have re-emailed the question asking for more detail as we have been discussing here. I'll quote my entire email for you all to read. I am now, more than ever, considering that the FARR filter is a poor choice.

Rick
Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Here is the latest response from Parker.

"On 9/20/2013 10:45 AM, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> We have a 3 year shelf life on all of our ECO product line. The service manual mentions a 24 month change out or when your restriction gauge reaches 25" h2o. If you over saturate a paper media, it could break down over time. The media repels water, but if soaked for a long duration it could start to break down.
>
> The ECO BC 11 x 18 Top Inlet 7" I/O is the same thing as a FARR filter. We purchased part of FARR filtration back in 2004.
>
> Our OEM's don't require our ECO Air Cleaners to have a wire mesh inside. Our elements are designed to withstand the engine air flow ratings."

This is from the manufacturer. And is the last word on any questions we have about why they are manufactured without the wire mesh.

Rick