Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air Dumps when parked

I am borrowing a friends 2010 Meridian (IKP40L) for a few weeks. I parked it in the garage and shutdown. I heard the airbags dumping, but could not find anything that controls the dump. I started the engine again, and verified that the pressure did raise. I then did the air brake check, and there was no noticeable pressure loss for 3 minutes.

This leads me to believe that this coach has an auto-air dump, but I would like to get that confirmed.

Also, I could not find the manual release for the air tanks. Anyone have an idea where those are?

Thanks!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Never heard of an auto air dump, sounds like an air leak to me. Check and see there is anything plugged into an air utility connection and listen where the air is coming out of the system.

Just saying I don't think this is normal.

Good luck
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Air tanks usually have a drain valve on the bottom of the tank so any condensation can be drained out,

Don't have qny specific knowledge re your rig.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

redbaron73,
So, you say that the "Bags" are draining "automatically", each and every time you shut down the coach? Is the coach lowering when all this happens? Now, unless Winne and or Freightliner or whatever chassis manufacturer your Meridian sits on made technical changes in that model year, I know of no "Auto air bag drain" if and when the ignition is shut down. That doesn't mean they didn't do it, it simply means I don't know of it.

Now, if, it in fact is, draining the bags and, by design it's not supposed to, obviously there's possible problem with an air valve that drains them when dumping prior to leveling. It may be sticking in the somewhat open position. That's my first thought on this issue.

Now, as for manually draining the air tanks, I know on Freightliner chassis's there's been at least three, lanyards that are tied to the air tank drains. On ours, the loops (finger pulls) of the lanyards are mounted in the right front fender-well. You have to get down on your knees to see them. I've pulled them several times and there's never been any moisture come out of any of those tanks.

Keep us informed of your findings on just what was leaking/draining when you shut off the ignition will you?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

On my Sportscoach, there is a lever on the floor under the shifter. If I flip the lever backward, the bags will dump as soon as the vehicle is in Neutral and the brake set. When you release the brake and put it in gear, the bags will fill. If I flip the lever forward, the bags will not dump when in neutral and the brake set.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

It is not automatic for the air bags to deflate. YOU HAVE A LEAK. It is very important for you to NOT DRIVE the coach any distance before you have this repaired. If the leak becomes worse and you loose air or the bag explodes while you are driving it it could take off the front of your...or your friends coach
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Again, you need to read my post above. There are automatic air dumps. I have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda1908 View Post
It is not automatic for the air bags to deflate. YOU HAVE A LEAK. It is very important for you to NOT DRIVE the coach any distance before you have this repaired. If the leak becomes worse and you loose air or the bag explodes while you are driving it it could take off the front of your...or your friends coach
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #8

I am just speaking from experience. Our Vectra airbags would deflate when we turned off the key to get fuel. This is not automatic or something you want to happen. We were told what could happen as I stated so I am just passing along the info. We had a bad valve in the airbag and it could have exploded...so we were told. I think someone borrowing a friends coach should prehaps know a little more about things before taking off on a trip...just sayin'
Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #9

We've never had an suspension air bag explode in a motorhome but when we drove transit buses, they would from time to time, "explode." It makes a horrendous "pow" sound and the immediately reaction is that a tire blew but you know it's an air bag because that corner of the bus will suddenly start to sag. It has never created loss of control if being driven when the explosion occurs. The explosion itself usually doesn't cause any damage to front end components, suspension, chassis components, or body structure, however. I'm not sure if it would cause damage in a motorhome or not but I'm not thinking it would not take off the front end of the coach.

Where the damage may occur is if driven after the sag has occurred as the tire/wheel may start to rub on wheel well structure or put added stress on suspension components so you want to drive slow and make sure nothing is rubbing if in such a situation until you are able to get it to a repair facility or off the road so it can be towed.

-harry and amanda
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #10

The explosion itself usually doesn't cause any damage to front end components, suspension, chassis components, or body structure, however. I'm not sure if it would cause damage in a motorhome or not but I'm not thinking it would not take off the front end of the coach.

Frieghtliner is who warned us not to drive the coach until it was repaired. The mechanic said it would damage the front of the coach and possibly cause the driver to loose control if the bag blew. If a not so experienced driver...not a bus driver...was behind the wheel the reaction might not be so good! Better safe than sorry esp. in a borrowed motorhome.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
redbaron73,
Keep us informed of your findings on just what was leaking/draining when you shut off the ignition will you?
Scott
If I am idling, the pressure does its normal rise, and you hear the pst pst as it purges.

When you place allison in Nuetral, and turn ignition off the roadside rear has a steady purge sound. This lasts about 5 minutes until fully deflated.

I assume this is a leak, and not a desing, although I do not see a way to manually dump the air on this coach. It does have the HWH hydraulic levelers, but not the option for manual air dump.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Turns out that a fitting like a t connection was the culprit. Got it replaced and all is working! Thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
If I am idling, the pressure does its normal rise, and you hear the pst pst as it purges.

When you place allison in Nuetral, and turn ignition off the roadside rear has a steady purge sound. This lasts about 5 minutes until fully deflated.

I assume this is a leak, and not a desing, although I do not see a way to manually dump the air on this coach. It does have the HWH hydraulic levelers, but not the option for manual air dump.

redbaron73,
You say it has the HWH leveling system correct? Does your buddy by any chance have the operations manual for that leveling system in the coach? If so, just for the heck of it, take a look into that manual and see what it says to do for instructions for leveling. The reason I state all this is because we have the HWH system and, it's equipped withe auto leveling and the manual leveling. The system (and the manual) states that the air is to be dumped prior to leveling. In the Auto-leveling mode, it does the air dump on it's own and then, after about 95% of the air is gone from the bags, it begins the leveling system.

In the manual mode, we have a button next to the "ON" button that's used for dumping the air manually. I hit that button and again, after about 95% of the air has escaped, I begin leveling it manually, if, I choose to do so. So, I'm just curious that you say you see no provisions to dump the air prior to leveling. Now, this all presumes the air 'MUST' be dumped, in that year and model of Meridian. For all I know, maybe the system's been changed so that you don't have to dump. I'm always learning something here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

That is interesting...I have not tried to use the jacks yet. I will test that and see if it does the auto dump.

This setup has a remote toggle in the wet bay to extend the jacks as well, so the setup appears to be biased towards automatic operation.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Our '08 dynaquest on a freightliner is doing this "auto dump". Were you able to find the problem yourself ?
joendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

not much info here ...so is it when you try to level or just put it in park or when ever you stop ect>>
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joendeb View Post
Our '08 dynaquest on a freightliner is doing this "auto dump". Were you able to find the problem yourself ?
Yes I was able to find it. After stopping the engine i walked around until I could hear the air coming out. It was on both sides, a t connection for the air bags.

Took it to a local truck repair, cost $85 to get both replaced.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Yes I was able to find it. After stopping the engine i walked around until I could hear the air coming out. It was on both sides, a t connection for the air bags.

Took it to a local truck repair, cost $85 to get both replaced.
Redbaron, I am glad you were able to find the source of the problem. LIKE I TRIED TO SAY in my previous posts fellas I thought he may have a problem. We had the same issue with our Vectra some time ago. It was a pretty inexpensive fix for a problem that could have been a lot worse if we had ignored it.