Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

air conditoner vibration

Owner of a 2005 Itasca Meridian 39F, Has anyone any info. on what might be done to dampen the vibration of the basement central air unit. The unit works great for cooling, but you wont get any sleep in the bed room with it running. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
dtravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

If you can get to it, look for trash in the squirrle cage fan. Even a small piece of paper can cause vibration. This is the fan that circulates the air.
garyedgecomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. The fan is clean, bearings are tight, no play in the
fan houseing. It seems like the compresser is bolted straight to its frame, and that frame is bloted straight to the motor home frame.
I had some what of the same thing when I had a heat pump put in. The idiot that put the tubing in under the house put the tubing straight against the
floor beams with no cushioning. Every time the unit turned on you got a nice vibration through the floor beams. Had to crawel under the house and fix right. Feel like I'm up against the same issue.
dtravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

dtraveler,

Our '04 Adventurer has the same issue. I finally got one of the A/C factory reps to admit that some coaches have a issue with "harmonizing" between the two compressors. It's kind of a rolling roar that varies over time. He said they have tried everything to fix it with little luck. It only affects a few coaches. I removed mine this summer to replace bearings and clean the unit. I also updated the outside fan to a plastic model that was supposed to be quieter. Nothing was loose that I could see and there was little if any improvement. Sorry I don't have better info or a solution....

Good luck,
Dave
Old 01-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the same rhythmic "thrumming" sounds when two compressors are running. Kind of levels off after a while or one compressor shuts down.

The only thing that works for me, a light sleeper, are foam earplugs from Lowes while I sleep. Which I use anyways when I am home.

good luck
jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Any chance you have a refigerant leak? If its low on charge this will make the compressors run harder thus creating vibration and higher amp draw.

Just a thought.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Mine does the same thing only I sleep like a baby knowing that if it keeps me awake I'll have alot of work to do. So for me it's "Rock a by Baby in the Tree Top"
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravler View Post
Owner of a 2005 Itasca Meridian 39F, Has anyone any info. on what might be done to dampen the vibration of the basement central air unit. The unit works great for cooling, but you wont get any sleep in the bed room with it running. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
my basement ac is kinda noisy with both compressors running, sorta like they are not in sync.
when we want to sleep, i turn off my #2 compressor circuit breaker on the 110v panel.
with less than half the noise we can sleep ok.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

DAN L has the answer. It is an inherent problem with basement a/c since it is always located in the rear where the bedroom is. I, too, discovered that if I turn off compressor #2 at night it is much more tolerable. At night, you probably won't need the 2nd compressor as you don't have the heat of the day beating on you. Just remember to flip it back on during day use.