Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air Conditioning Issue

This past weekend we camped at a wine festival with no hook-ups in 90 plus degree heat, so we had to live on the generator. The air conditioner in our 38J could not get the inside below 84 degrees. it was like an oven inside the MH. in turn, the refrigerator worked overtime trying to keep its temp around 45. I checked the return and filter, and all of the discharges were putting out cold air, however not enough to cool the inside. is this common or do I need to have the freon checked ? The MH has a white roof and dark brown sides. thanx for any suggestions. Len
LKANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On my 2004 Meridian with basement air, anytime I know the daytime temps will be in the 90-100 degree range the next day, I start out with the thermostat set about 72 very early in the morning and the inside temps may reach 76-77 during the day. Not exactly the perfect situation but seems to be the best the basement air has been able to do since new.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I can't give one-for-one comparison but I can say that our basement unit in our 32V does fine in 90+ temperature (with high humidities also). Ours has white roof and basically white sides. I'm really not familiar with the 38J so I'm assuming since you say 'air conditioner' that you are meaning a single basement unit. If you're talking about one unit off the generator and a two A/C roof air system, well I think you've got your answer. Let's us know what you find out.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I would first check your outside vertical ductwork. Mine split last summer in New Orleans and had same problem. Working fine since I resealed.

Also look at indoor coil and ensure it is clean.

It is hot and humid here at GNR and ours is fine at 78.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

the WINNEBAGO Adventurer 38J has 2 basement air conditioners - do they both run when the generator is used ?? question for Dancin Campers, are the coils accessed under the bed where the filter is ? and where is the verticle duct work located. thanx Len
Old 07-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have the same issue with my Damon 37'7" job (They call it 37, I call it 38) with all the slides out and parked in the sun the heat load is just flat too much for the A/C's to over come this summer. now, once I get it cool, they do a fair job of keeping it that way and they for sure suck the water out of the air. but there is just no way they can keep up with the sun.

I do put out the awning causing some shade (helps) then I add the sun screen (helps more) but the best suggesiton is SHADE, get out of that blazing sun.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you have a 5500 or larger Gen then both should run. Check the display on your Power Distribution center to make sure that both Compressors are powered. If one of your CBs are thrown on your Gen than it is possible only one of the Compressors are running.
Frank O.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKANER View Post
the WINNEBAGO Adventurer 38J has 2 basement air conditioners - do they both run when the generator is used ?? question for Dancin Campers, are the coils accessed under the bed where the filter is ? and where is the verticle duct work located. thanx Len
Your vertical duct is located at the rear of the coach behind the rear fiberglass cap. You can usually see it by laying under the rig and looking up. You can use an infrared thermometer to determine if you have cold air leaking out of that duct. The common problem is separation of the seam in the duct. It can be re-taped with foil duct tape but getting to it is an issue.

I have a DP with a diesel 7.5 KW genset that will run both of the compressors in my basement AC. Not sure about the generators on the gas units but would think the genset will power both compressors. When you are running your generator and AC, how many amps are showing on your One Place panel? When the first compressor starts, you will get (maybe 14 - 16 amps) then when the second compressor starts, the amp draw will increase to maybe 24 -26 amps.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKANER View Post
Your coach only has ONE basement A/C unit.....that unit contains TWO compressors. While using the genset you can observe the panel that displays the amps being consumed. When the A/C is first turned on and the first compressor starts the amps should jump up about 16 amps then settle back to indicating the A/C is using about 11 amps. After approx 30 - 45 seconds (assuming the t'stat is calling for temps of 3*+ from room temp) the amp panel should jump up to additional 16-17 amps then settle back to using a total of about 22 amps. This process indicates BOT compressors are started and running. If you do not see this amp change check for TWO A/C breadker in your main electrical panel and make sure they are both on.
The package A/C is located behind your rear wheels on the passenger side. To access it you will need to open the side panel that has vent louvers...it should hinge up. The evaporator coil is located inside the package that must be removed for service. The vertical supply plenum referenced is attached tothe back side of the A/C unit and travels up to ceiling level inside the rear body cap.
To help stay cool during hot weather use a windshield shade or sunscreen. If you have day/night shades use them where you can. Lots of heat gets in through roof vent lids. Also, start cooling early in the day and then limit door openings as much as possible.
Hope all this helps you.
Hope all this helps you
Old 07-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ken, They should both run on gen power.

My bed slide is on passenger side, and by removing the filter I can see the coil, down and to the right side.

The ductwork is against the outside back wall, between the wall and the rear cap, on passenger side. Laying down under coach where the basement ac is you will see the elbow duct from the unit, and then the straight duct going up. The seam on mine opened up when the sealing tape failed.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Well folks it is 90+ outside. These cracker boxes heat up fast. many like me have dark paint colors.

Has been 87 in in our MH with A/C on and an extra fan running. No shade trees. Roof air. When we had our Adventurer. Used to have the same problem with basement air.

Keep all you shades down to help keep the heat out.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

If you check this forum you'll find many post about the basement air conditioner not being able to keep the larger (maybe over 36') cool when the temp gets in the upper 90's. I have a Coleman 13500PS roof air sitting in the garage that I will put in the roof vent fan opening and wire it to the block heater switch box for power. If you search you will find where many people have done this.

Sorry if this info is bad news but it seems to be the fact for many of us, me included.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
If you check this forum you'll find many post about the basement air conditioner not being able to keep the larger (maybe over 36') cool when the temp gets in the upper 90's. I have a Coleman 13500PS roof air sitting in the garage that I will put in the roof vent fan opening and wire it to the block heater switch box for power. If you search you will find where many people have done this.

Sorry if this info is bad news but it seems to be the fact for many of us, me included.
I don't mean to sound rude to those owning the nice big coachs, but now I'm glad that we downsized from 36' to 32'. Of course our old RV had 2 roof A/Cs and our new-to-us RV has the basement A/C. I guess I got lucky that we got the setup we did. I'll take 'luck' anyday!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I agree that you should check your duct work under the rear cap. Last summer we suffered until we read on this forum to check that. Ours had come apart at the elbow coming out of the AC unit. We felt lucky that it was easy to get to. Once we repaired that the unit has been working great. Hopefully yours will be something simple too.

Good luck and safe travels
Bobby
Old 07-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

thanx

thanx everyone for the great info - I did notice that the amps were around 20 something - we did use the night shades and start the cooling earlier in the morning - and cool air was coming out of the vents during the heat of the day. the walls were quite warm to the touch, and even with the windshield shade used, the front area was unbearably hot. I will check out the duct work and other suggestions, but knowning that mother nature can be cruel, I will add some window awnings and have already ordered a sun shade for the main awning. agian, thanx Len
Old 07-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

You think you got issues..... Bedroom A/C on my coach.. Blower motor failure.

I have scheduled a visit to the Electric Motor shop for Monday.

Thankfully pulling and replacing will not be a problem.. paying for the new motor, or the rebuild.. Now that's a problem.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Here's my story:
I am parked in the sun at Lubbock, Texas and it is at or near 100 degrees outside. The dash outside temp gauge did get up to 105 as we came up the highway. The basement air on mine right now is pushing out air at about 55 degrees measured at the duct. Air temp at the return duct is about 78 degrees so in my case I think the basement air is doing about all it can. If I remember correctly I have read that a 20 degree difference is good for these basement units. As far a reading amps my panel does not show amps being used when on either generator or 50 amp shore power. When on 30 amps mine is pulling about 24 amps when both compressors are running and the fan speed set at high. As mentioned above - we start cooling as early in the day as we can - we do run the generator & basement air when traveling and outside temp is 90 or above because of the inability of these units to cool off the interior when it is hot. I think in the next few days I'll run the generator and basement AC while traveling when it is above 80 to try to keep ahead of the heat build up. Also we keep the fan on high and in the run not auto during this time of year. We also have a free standing A/C unit vented outside and it helps.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We are parked in south Texas, was close to 100 today. When we got back to the coach today after being gone all day, the temperature was 77 inside. We have a 40 foot coach with the basement air. Last year I added a roll around unit, 12,000 BTU's, without the extra A/C unit we would have been in the high 80's. It is easy to install, you do have to vent it outside, but that is easy. You can get them at Lowes and other places for about $300. I roll it to the bedroom and store it there, the bedroom slide keeps it from rolling around. It is a lot easier than installing a roof air.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy S View Post
We are parked in south Texas, was close to 100 today. When we got back to the coach today after being gone all day, the temperature was 77 inside. We have a 40 foot coach with the basement air. Last year I added a roll around unit, 12,000 BTU's, without the extra A/C unit we would have been in the high 80's. It is easy to install, you do have to vent it outside, but that is easy. You can get them at Lowes and other places for about $300. I roll it to the bedroom and store it there, the bedroom slide keeps it from rolling around. It is a lot easier than installing a roof air.
By any chance do you have any photos of how you vent your outside?
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

LKANER,

One thing to remember is the filter needs to be the cheapest, most open you can find. Several here have found the better, heavier filters restrict air flow too much. Just buy the cheapest ones you can find and change them often.

Good luck,

Dave