Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air conditioning cooling fans

I am checking the cab air conditioning in my 2001 Winnebago Journey. I’ve found two issues—low pressure and the switch on the high side is not turning on the fans. The first issue I can cure; however, the switch does not turn on the cooling fans regardless of the pressure. Without the cooling fans the head pressure goes up; if I connect the fans to turn them on, the head pressure declines. I’ve checked with Freightliner, but they tell me that this is a coach builder issue. I have a couple of questions: First, at what pressure should the switch turn on the cooling fans? Second, is there a Schrader valve in this coupling or does one have to bleed the system to change the switch. I’ve searched the IRV2 site among others without any answer. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
wilson8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Try to contact Specific Climate Systems. The have a "Dealer Service and Parts Manual for Winnebago" Lit Part Number 057-00272. Technical Support phone number is 800 275 7524 and Customer Service phone number is 800 545 6341. I tried to send the manual to you but was unable to include an attachment.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all who replied. I’m back home for a few days and trying to get caught up on past work.

When I checked the ac system, it was low: the head pressure was just over 100 lbs, and the suction was also low, of course. When I brought the head pressure up to about 225 and the suction to about 35, the cooling fans turned on, so the fan switch was not faulty after all. I did notice that hot water was apparently circulating through the heater core. The diverting valve appears to be working, but I guess it is not shutting off altogether since the return hose was hot. So for the time being, I pinched the return hose shut to keep hot water out of the heater. All seems to be working well for the time being.

Again, thanks for the helpful information.
wilson8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There's a good chance that there are two yellow shutoff valves underneath back near the engine to close off the coach heater circuit--at least there are on my 2005 Vectra.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I think my cooling fans might have died on my condenser. Anyone know what the closest replacement fan is? How do I get the cover off, I'd like to test them with 12 volts first to see if they really are bad.

mac 'I have same DP as OP' gyvr
Old 09-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

macgyvr. there are a couple of screws in the bottom of the cover. Remove them and the cover will open up on hings.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
macgyvr. there are a couple of screws in the bottom of the cover. Remove them and the cover will open up on hings.
Very good, I'll check that out next chance I get.

Thanks

mac 'been running house a/c and genset' gyvr

Tags
air conditioning, cooling, fan