Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air conditioner problem

I own a 2002 Winnebago 40J Ultimate Advantage with basement air. The unit runs and cools, but I suspect it's not cooling normally. Its 100 degrees outside, high humidity an not putting out any condensation. At night it will cool and cycle but during the day temp keeps creeping up and of course not cycling. Can you give me some of your experience's dealing with this type unit? Thank you for any info you can give me. [email protected]
grant3791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

grant3791, check condition of the inside air filter and clean the outside condenser coil. Also under the rear cap where the air is ducted to the ceiling check for leaks.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

To be honest this is the same thing I experienced with my Meridian 39K in Florida. I added a roof 15000btu air conditioner to supplement the basement unit.
You might make sure the filter is clean and a low restriction to flow unit. I have the room so I use a 4 inch pleated filter. I'd recommend the thin fiberglass type otherwise.

I wish I could tell you there is an easy cure, but there isn't.

You might consider getting the unit cleaned although to do a really good job you need to pull the unit to get to all of the coils.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Are you sure that both compressors are working?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

In another thread there was a participant that claimed their basement AC had to be replaced because it failed due to the condenser coil being plugged. They claimed the only scheduled maintenance was to replace the filter. A closer investigation revealed that Coleman also recommends cleaning the condenser coil.

An excerpt from the Coleman manual reads: "Periodically (once or twice a season) inspect the outdoor coil and brush off any accumulated residue with a soft bristled brush".

You might want to check your coil to be sure there is sufficient airflow to allow the system to cool. You may be able to avoid a similar problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You need to put a thermometer and place it at the return air intake (mine is in the bedroom basically above the basement air). After you get a reading put the thermometer at an air outlet in the bedroom. If you are getting about a 20 degree difference the basement air is doing all it can - if significantly less than a 20 degree difference you have a problem. Some people have found the air duct from the basement air that goes up the rear cap has separated allowing cold air to escape. If the basement air is putting out close to 20 degree difference you can do what others (and I have done) is to add a roof top air conditioner to supplement the basement air. When I run the basement air and the roof top A/C it gets cool - make that cold - inside the RV even when it is above 100 outside.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

X2 on checking BOTH compressors are running. The best way to do that is to unplug from campground power and start your generator. Look on your power panel and wait for the generator power to stabilize. Set your thermostat at least 4 degrees above current ambient coach temp and turn on your A/C. You will see an immediate power surge to about 18 amps that will drop and level off to about 12 amps (if no other electrical loads are on line). That power surge will have been #1 compressor coming on line. Since the target temp is above the 3 degree threshold, #2 compressor will automatically start about 15-20 seconds behind #1 and you will see another power surge that will level off at about 22-24 amps again if the only electrical load at the time is the A/C.
Also check your rubber condensate drain valve. Sometimes that port gets fouled from accumulated debris.
As others have said, check or replace your air filter and make sure the condensate coil is clear.
Dan
Old 09-12-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Cleaning of the coils (EPically the outside or condenser coil) made a big difference on my Rooftop A/C.s and my Window A/C's in the sticks and bricks and finally the central Air once I got it.. Highly recommended.

That said no matter what your position on Climate Change is (For the record Mine is complex and not something I wish to discuss.. I'm not an expert in that field.) as the summers get warmer and we set new and hotter records your A/C will NOT keep up with the summers it was designed for.

I upgraded one of mine from 13.6 to 15KBTU and that helps a bit.

Tags
winnebago