Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Minnie. On two occasions, when the air conditioner was turned on, there was a delay of perhaps a minute before the compressor kicked in. I didn't have the surge guard plugged in, so I know that's not the problem. When the fan was set to "on", the fan ran fine but still no compressor action. When the fan was set to "Auto", it wouldn't run until the compressor finally started to operate.

In a nutshell, it appears that the only "problem" is that the compressor occasionally doesn't activate immediately when the air conditioner is turned on.

And, by the way, it was well over 80 degrees inside the motorhome yesterday when the delay occurred, and I had the thermostat set to 74 degrees.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

'05 Minnie 29B
gypsynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Minnie. On two occasions, when the air conditioner was turned on, there was a delay of perhaps a minute before the compressor kicked in. I didn't have the surge guard plugged in, so I know that's not the problem. When the fan was set to "on", the fan ran fine but still no compressor action. When the fan was set to "Auto", it wouldn't run until the compressor finally started to operate.

In a nutshell, it appears that the only "problem" is that the compressor occasionally doesn't activate immediately when the air conditioner is turned on.

And, by the way, it was well over 80 degrees inside the motorhome yesterday when the delay occurred, and I had the thermostat set to 74 degrees.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

'05 Minnie 29B
Old 05-03-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It depends on the pressures in the compressor, usually this only shows up when you try to start it immediately after it was shut off.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you, John. On neither occasion of the delay had the air conditioner been running prior to the problem occurring.

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this matter. We're leaving on a trip to the Grand Canyon in a few days and don't want to have an air conditioning problem if we can avoid it.

'05 Minnie 29B
Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

There is "circuitry" in the thermostat itself that causes delay ...

I can't remember exactly all of the parameters for the delay ... but it is not unusual for there to be some delay ...

If the air conditioner functions as you think it should after the initial start up I would not worry about it ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My guess is COMPRESSOR START CAP!!
And it may have a circuit that will
take it off line if it draws TOO much
current on start up...Maybe even a
thermo circuit braker, that will reset.
Tenn.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If the compressor is just slow to start (delayed), but starts OK, I'd be prone to go to the time delay in the circuity. If it was the start compressor, you would here the compressor attempting to start and if you have a volt meter, see the voltage drop a fair amount.

The standard t'stat on the A/C is in my opinon a high priced piece of junk. The repeatability is terrible to maintain a set point. When we had our Minnie Winnie, the dealer replaced the the t''stat twice and I did once at a pretty heft price. I replaced it with the $25.00 hunter and no more problems.

I have had the circuit boards in the A/C unit go bad, but they will usually just stop and the A/C will not run.

Ken
Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Was this on 50 AMP,30 AMp or 20 AMP service? If you have a Power Management System and you are using high AMPs when you turn our AC on, it has to turn some power off to some appliance to accommodate your AC request.
Just a thought.
Frank O.