Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Air conditioner fan will not stop running

I have a 2004 Itasca Meridian with a basement air conditioner. I arrived home on Saturday form the Hershey RV show and plugged the MH into the 110 volt plug I have used for 20 years to keep the battery charged. The fan for the air conditioner started running?

1- I went inside to the TrueAir temperature control and it was in the OFF position (the fan should not be running). I moved the selector switch to COOL and back to OFF (the fan continued to run).

2- Next I moved the selector switch to heat (the fan continued to run). I moved it back to OFF (the fan continued to run).

3- I adjusted the set point on the room temperature above the actual room temperature (the fan continued to run). I moved it back to OFF (the fan continued to run).

4- I turned off the circuit braker for the air conditioner and the fan stopped. I left it off for a minute and then turned it back on (the fan turned back on).

I am baffled as to the corrective action. My next attempt to rectify the problem is to obtain a trouble shooting guide for the TrueAir temperature control. Is there any info on TrueAir control for a Coleman air conditioner. Are there any other suggestion?

On the way home we encountered a rain storm but we have seen those many times.

Safe travels and THE JOY I IN THE RIDE
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'm not familiar with your HVAC system, but in general the thermostat is 12 v. It sends a low voltage (12 v) signal to a relay that turns on the 120 v fan in the HVAC unit. I'd think your relay is stuck in the ON position. If you access the unit, a tap on the relay might un-stick it, allowing you time to go buy a replacement.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On my true air stat there is a switch for fan on or auto is your fan switch on????
Old 09-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Air conditioner fan will not stop running

Disregard
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

RV735;

Here is the Service Manual.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...6323_copy2.pdf

Please let me know if you are successful downloading the manual.

-Tom, W3TLN
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Tom N/BFlinn181, I was able to down load the manual and I will use it to locate the relay and try to un-stick it with a tap. Good idea! I am unable to work on it for several days so I will post the results then.

Thanks for the info.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

There is a plug attached with a pigtail to the thermostat. Try unplugging it. There are two wires coming from the thermostat, purple & black for high & low fan settings to see if the problem is with the control board or the thermostat.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Tom N/BFlinn181, I tried tapping on both relays while the fan is not running and while the fan is running with no success. The fan continues to run.

I unplugged the pig tail at the back of the PC board at the TrueAir control (the plug included many other wires). The fan stopped when unplugged and when plugged back together the fan started running again. The pig tail included the purple and black wires.

Any other suggestions?

Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Check and make sure when the FAN switch on the thermostat is in the off position, no power is being sent on the two 'trigger' wires. If the thermostat doesn't send a shut off signal, it's the thermostat that needs replacing, not the relay.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

BFlinn181, When the thermostat is in the off position I have 10.58 volts across the black and purple wires on the PC board. When the thermostat is moved to cool I have no voltage across the black and purple wires. The house battery voltage is reading 13.1 volts at the control panel.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

RV735 - you discuss moving the "thermostat" switch to various positions including OFF and the fan keeps running. Are you aware the the "fan mode" switch is what determines if the fan runs or not. In "Auto" position the fan will run when called by the thermostat. In "On" position the fan runs all the time even if the thermostat is turned off. If you're aware of this, maybe that fan mode switch has failed to the ON position.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I guess another thing we haven't established is are you talking about the inside fan (air blowing from the ceiling vents) or the outside fan (air blowing out the bottom of the unit)? If you're talking about the outside fan, you can disregard my previous post...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I have a similar problem with my TrueAir unit. The blower for the gas backup heat will not shut off. By disconnecting the power cord from the coach the fan would go off. When i plug it back in the fan comes back on. The fan itself is a 12 volt DC fan so am assuming it has something to do with killing 120v power to the TruAir thermostat. I had to finally disconnect the 12 volt power from the furnace blower circuit breaker to shut it off. I have a 2008 Itasca Suncruiser. How do I determine if the problem is with the thermostat or if there is a different problem?
stevesherard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

stevesherard, the furnace and the thermostat or both 12VDC devices. Does the furnace act normal when you are running off the batteries without shore power connected?
If so I would suspect you have a noisy converter passing some AC to the 12VDC wiring and messing with the thermostat.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

stevesherard, I solved my problem by accessing the back of the TrueAir control panel; unscrewing form the wall, and unplugging all of the wire connections in the back of the panel. Waited 30 seconds, reconnected all the wire connection plugs. The fan did not start running after I reconnected the wire connection plugs. All functions of the TrueAir control panel have been working normally since the above was done. Good Luck!

NOTE: make sure you disconnect all 120 volt and 12 volt power sources before you unscrew the panel. You do not want to short out any wires.

Let us know how this works.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
BFlinn181, When the thermostat is in the off position I have 10.58 volts across the black and purple wires on the PC board. When the thermostat is moved to cool I have no voltage across the black and purple wires. The house battery voltage is reading 13.1 volts at the control panel.
When you disconnected the plug, did you inspect for corrosion on all wires and prongs? This is a low-voltage circuit, doesn't take much to do crazy things.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:47 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Ray,IN, I did not inspect for corrosion but did plug, unplug and re plug three times.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Grant, It appears as if the furnace works properly without the shore power connected. The propane is turned off and the coach has a winter cover on it so I can't fully test the system. Without shore power the gas heat position on the thermostat starts the blowers which is normal. So I am assuming if the propane gas was turned on that it would fire properly. Do you have any suggestions on how to correct the problem if the converter is causing the problem? Thanks for any info you can provide.
stevesherard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:34 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Here's another thought. On my previous coach, 03 Journey DL, I had an issue with the AC fan not turning off in heat mode. It drove me crazy for about a month until I noticed that it only happened when the ceiling lights were on. I had a bad board in one of them that allowed "bad waves" to interfere with the thermostat. That same light also caused problems with the True Level display.

It's quite possible that electrical interference from something could be your problem.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, fan